The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 16, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1
yourenodaisy

Question regarding an odd Colt Navy configuration

First, I would like to say thank you all for the knowledge displayed on this board. I have been nose deep in a lot of the discussions trying to soak up information.

Now on to the question...

A friend of a friend has a Colt Navy for sale. I have tried to narrow down what it actually is but have come to a dead end. Here are the specs I have found so far:
-Serial number under 1000.
-Naval scene, "engaged May..." and the serial number on the chamber.
-Shorter than the standard 7.5 inch octagonal barrel (which made me think it was a sheriff; however, the research I have found states the sheriff models had the stagecoach scene). The barrel does not appear to be cut or modified.
-Notch for a butt stock.
-New York address on barrel, colt patent information, "U.S." and ".36" on the side, stamped matching serial numbers on the bottom with no other markings.

So, did Colt make a sheriff model with the naval scene? Are there other things I should be looking for?

Many thanks all!
Old July 16, 2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I have not seen the term "sherrif model" used for any percussion revolver except the ones in Cabelas mailorder catalog.

I see no mention of a short barrelled 1851 in Flayderman at all.

The stagecoach scene was standard on the 1849 Pocket not used on the 1851 Navy. The naval engagement scene was standard on the 1851.

A US marked 1851 would surely have been a 7.5" and this one has been skilfully shortened.
Old July 16, 2012, 07:38 AM   #3
Willie Sutton

Photos most useful....

Willie

Old July 16, 2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Hawg

What Jim said. The barrel was cut off. There were no short barrel 51's.
Old July 16, 2012, 08:34 AM   #5
yourenodaisy

Apologies, I just took another look at Flayderman's Guide; I meant the Pocket Navy / Pocket Police not the Sheriff (which is the term the friend used to describe the firearm originally). The guide refers to a short barreled Navy but with the stage coach scene.

Thanks to all who replied!
Old July 16, 2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Fingers McGee

As Willie said, photos would be most helpful. Are we talking about an original or a reproduction Navy here?

As previously stated, there were no 'standard production model' short barreled 1851 Navies. There are custom and gunsmith made short barreled Navies though as well as some Colt prototypes.

If the frame and backstrap are "notch for butt stock" you don't have a pocket model. Only the full sized '51s, '61s, '60s and 3rd model dragoons were cut for a stock.

If the serial number is indeed under 1000 and it is an original; it would be a 1st model '51 Navy and the wedge screw will be under the wedge, not on top. The backstrap would be cut for a type 1 shoulder stock by having two slots in the backstrap. The frame would not be notched.

From the specs you describe so far; it sounds like a reproduction.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; July 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old July 16, 2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
From the specs you describe so far; it sounds like a reproduction.
With the barrel address AND U.S. marking? I'm aware of some ASM's with the address.
Old July 16, 2012, 11:54 AM   #8
yourenodaisy

You guys continue to impress with your knowledge. I too thought it was odd that the notch was there on a short barreled revolver. The screw is above the wedge on this gun from what I recall.

So, reproductions...I thought there had to be an export mark for reproductions (unless they made the pistol intending to look like an original). I looked over the entire pistol closely for potential ground off markings and refinished, none seem to exist.
Old July 16, 2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Hawg - There were some 'Patent Infringement revolvers' from ASM that were marked exactly like 1st Gen Colts.

If the SN is under 1000, there is no way it's an original '51 Navy if the wedge screw is on top of the wedge.

yourenodaisy - is this a five shot or six shot revolver?
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 16, 2012, 02:01 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

Let's not rule out a "fake" as well. As stated, pictures please. I know of one fellow personally who could take a reproduction and by the time he was done, only a skilled collector could detect that it wasn't original. He had a complete set of Colt stamps . . . needless to say, this yahoo's reputation preceded him.

How about the serial # - are they matching? Is it a '51 frame size? What is the provenance of it?

It's easy to sit back and "guess", but that's like giving a description of a prize bull and guessing it might be a prize sow. Pictures and close-ups would be of great help.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 16, 2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Hawg

ASM produced barrels for 3rd gen Colts and then got stuck with a lot of them when production ceased. They used them themselves trying to recoup some of their losses and Colt wasn't too happy about it.