The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2010, 06:16 PM   #51
CrustyFN

Quote:
If you are going to gripe about once fired brass then buy new brass.
Exactly. I also don't know very many people that can pick up a piece of brass from the gravel at the range and tell how many times it has been fired. I have once fired brass and brass that has been fired many times in my bucket. It's all clean and shiny and I bet nobody can pick out the once fired.

Quote:
For your info there are quite a few LEOs that use reloads when training!! So if someone says all there brass is gaurenteed once fired chances are good they are lying.
Very ture.
Old October 4, 2010, 10:21 PM   #52
m&p45acp10+1

I have a realy good way to assure brass is once fired. I watch for guys that show up with bags from Walmart, and Acadamy. I picked up 100 .308 Hornady Match brass the guy fired, then put back into the holder slid back into the box, then put it the bag, and dropped it into the brass bucket on his way out. Heck the recipt was still in the bag. Another guy did the same with 40 pieces each of 300 RUM, and .300 Wby. Mag Weatherby brass.
I just love the guys like that. They leave such good trade fodder.
Old October 5, 2010, 12:13 AM   #53
k9cougar

trying leobrass.com

Just ordered a 1000 9MM brass pieces from LEO.com. With shipping it was $31 for the 1000. You have to order it in packages of 100 going for $2 per 100. A friend gave me 500 brass cases and I bought about 500 when I started reloading about a year ago. Shoot around 150 - 250 rounds a week and my supply is finally starting to whittle down to about 300 so I thought I would give this a shot. States I should receive my order by the end of the week. We'll see.
Old October 5, 2010, 04:40 PM   #54
bhannah

Well

As long as I have been reloading, and as many other guys I know that reload,
and buy "once fired brass" I have never known any one of them to gripe.
We just assume some will be crap.

Did you believe the used car dealer when he said the car was driven by a little old lady?

By the way I have a bridge for sale..

I bet if you buy a new bag of brass and have to trim or work out a crushed one you gripe as well.

Just goes to further my point some people will bitch about anything...
Old October 5, 2010, 06:04 PM   #55
Real Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhannah
Did you believe the used car dealer when he said the car was driven by a little old lady?

By the way I have a bridge for sale..
But that lack of integrity is exactly what this thread was about. One who advertises brass using the term "once fired" and who appreciates what those words really mean cannot be trusted because he cannot prove or legitimately certify how many times each and every case has been fired, let alone only once. It's all fine, as long as no one is misled into thinking what they are buying is somehow higher grade than anyone else's used brass and worth some premium price.
Old October 7, 2010, 10:37 AM   #56
Clark

I have many times my weight in brass that is not new.

I have bought a lot of once fired.
I have bought a lot that was just used.

I don't think I have ever been sold, by institution or individual, that was called once fired that turned out to be fired many times.

But there is always a first time for me to victimized by false advertising.

I bought a VXIII scope off Ebay that turned out to be Vari-x-III.
Old October 7, 2010, 12:22 PM   #57
grubbylabs

I have bought a few hundred 45 pieces of used brass(maybe 500 or a little more) and I have no idea how many times I have fired it, I clean it inspect it and reuse it. On the other hand I only have about 300 pieces of 308. I don't generally buy used 308 brass because I can buy 50 new pieces for about 20.00. However at the range the last week I was given about 72 pieces by our local swat sniper team and I found a another box worth. I know the sniper brass was once fired, I watched them pull it out of the box and load it into his gun, I can only assume that the other 20 I got were once fired since they were very shiny and new looking. But either way I was way happy to find almost a 100 pieces of good brass. I agree with the used is used, its kinda like ebay buy at your own risk.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old October 7, 2010, 12:40 PM   #58
Paul lavallee

pistol Brass makers

Does anyone know who the major manufacturers of pistol brass are. Just does not seem possible that every headstamped name is a manufacturer of that brass. I would think several of these are made by the same company and if I could find out it might make sorting a lot quicker. Just a thought, maybe I am on the wrong track. Thanks for any help. Paul
Old October 7, 2010, 08:35 PM   #59
grubbylabs

I did a scrounging expedition at the range to day and came up with a few pounds of brass. Some 30-30 and some 300 win mag and also some 223. I will clean it up and see what I have. Might have some "range brass" for sale or trade soon.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)

Last edited by grubbylabs; October 7, 2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 18, 2011, 03:14 PM   #60
Shootinjh

Great quote!

"When your response to everything that is wrong with the world is to say, 'there ought to be a law,' you are saying that you hold freedom very cheap." -- Dr. Thomas Sowell

I like the later post by the OP author about self-regulating, but buyer beware is even better! Government regulation of stuff is not very successful. I love eBay and other "reputation" devices.
Old March 18, 2011, 05:59 PM   #61
hk33ka1

I think the big ammo makers make their own brass and then some for smaller companies. Winchester makes most of their own, and they also sell restamped stuff for smaller companies like Hornady too. I think Prvi Partisan might make Wins Russian 7,62 stuff.

Starline makes brass as *-* Starline, and sells stamped stuff to others as well. If there's 10 ammo makers, theres likely 4 brass makers etc...

Last edited by hk33ka1; March 18, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old March 18, 2011, 06:27 PM   #62
m&p45acp10+1

The only brass I have purchased has all been new. I have picked up a lot of brass at the range though. Last weekend a guy left me 150 starline .41 mag that was true once fired. I will be using it myself in my RBH.

Not to mention the 5 gal bucket full of .45 acp, 9mm luger, and .223 rem brass I have picked up.
Old March 18, 2011, 11:45 PM   #63
medalguy

I've noticed that most ads for brass generally state "APPEARS once-fired" which lets them off the hook. And nearly all sellers will tell you they throw in a few extras "for any that might not be good."

I've bought milsurp brass at scrap auctions and resold it. Last batch I got was .308 and there was a lot of match brass in there, some was clearly reloaded many times and I tossed all that out that I found. Did I likely miss a few rounds out of 3,000 pounds? Yep probably. Do I worry about it? Nope. I put extra brass in every lot I sold to make up for any that might not have been good.

Do we need any new laws or regulations to cover brass? Maybe there's a few extras already to make up for any that might not be good.
Old March 19, 2011, 04:35 PM   #64
amamnn

I guess if you believe that once fired means the same as fired once means that you believe that when someone says "once upon a time Red Riding hood........." means that you are only the second person to hear the story. There is an endless supply of cheaters, thieves and "businessmen" and some of them sell brass. As with anything used--you have to check it out or be prepared to take a hit in the wallet.
Old March 20, 2011, 07:50 PM   #65
HiBC

I certainly do not want any regulation.
You have the freedom and opportunity to choose who you do business with.You can find a supplier who will allow you to return a shipment you are dissatisfied with.
The brass supplier cannot maintain traceability on fired brass.How in the world would that be possible?It is not.
You are asking for Utopia,I can assure you,there is no liberty in Utopia.
The only way we will have the freedom to buy used brass is if we maintain caveat emptor.As soon as the brass dealer is defined as responsible for the quality of the brass,there will be no used brass.Too much exposure to litigation."My lawyer and I want 2 million dollars because my handload blew my face up so it must be the brass you sold me"
I am sure we could have a Federal Beaureau of Brass Management.
It was only a few months ago we were all PO'd because the military and ATK were doing some de-milling of brass.Now,is there any wonder why?
It only takes one person who thinks like this to send the right E-mail.
Here is one clue,if it still has crimped primers,its once fired.
It may be stretched junk,but it is once fired.