The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2011, 07:56 PM   #1
ltc444

308 winchester loads

I am starting to reload for my Ruger M-77T.
I was wondering if you would share some of your favorite loads.
Old March 21, 2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Logan9885

Best load Ive found is 150gr sierra gameking boat tail with 43.9gr of imr-4064 pushing it. Not a super fast load but will lay the deer down!!
Old March 22, 2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Mike / Tx

I do realize your looking for fairly upper end load data. That said I thought I would toss this your way just in case you decide you want something a bit easier to play around with or bring a younger person into shooting.

Back a few years ago my grandson, then just slightly past his 3rd birthday decided he wanted to get him a hog. Well being a hoe headed little red head, he wasn't satisfied until he got to at least give it a try and kept on me until I managed to find something he could shoot.

I have to say that the Hodgdon Youth Loads using H-4895 are wonderful loads to start young ones off with. When working up the loads I spoke quite a bit with them about various bullets and such. The end result was that you could pick any standard maximum load listed with H-4895, and multiply the charge weight by 60%. this is of course using only loads listed for H-4895. What you end up with is some very low recoiling loads.

I loaded them using first the 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, and then switching to the Barnes 130gr TTSX. Both loads shot very well from my Ruger Compact, and got fairly respectable velocity from the short 16.5" barrel. The initial loads were a bit more than the boy was expecting, but after shooting 3-5 at a sitting then bringing out the M1 Carbine for more practice, he got good, really good. I only bring this up as most folks seem to be looking for the most they can get out of their rounds. What they fail to realize or experience is the joy of having some low recoil fodder on hand to plink away at squirrels or other small game that don't have to be at the upper most end of the loading spectrum.

If you do decide to try them out, I highly recommend the Barnes for game up to deer and feral hogs out to 50yds. Even the lowest loading will do them in quick and easy. The nice thing is, you can work the same powder, and bullet, all the way back up to the maximum charge weight a bit at a time, finding something that you really like in between. I found that around 42grs was a great load for both the grandson and myself. It's nice to have the low recoil rounds for up close hog patrol where shots might only be measured in feet rather than yards. IT allows the 1.5x6 power scope to reacquire multiple targets much more easily.
Old March 22, 2011, 07:19 PM   #4
grubbylabs

I have several hundred 165 grain Speer BTSP's loaded with 43 grains if IMR 4064 with a large rifle magnum primer. They shoot really well for me. I only use the magnum because that is what I had.

However Hornady's 165-168 grain bullets with Varget is a very popular load around here and soon enough I will be trying them.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)