The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 10, 2015, 06:23 PM   #1
zachattack2

What handgun to buy?

I would like a nice, practical handgun to get for myself. I don't know if I want a revolver of pistol? I would like it if the caliber is cheap. I would like to buy a gun around $400 if can or maybe even cheaper for a surplus gun.

If I get a revolver I want to get it in. 357 magnum so I could out it in 38 special too. But a 38 special only revolver wouldn't be bad. If I got a pistol I would like to get it in 9mm Luger because it's not so weak but very popular/available and very cheap ammo.

I dnot really know what gun I would want at all really but I have looked at the Tokerev m70 in 9mm Luger for only$250 and a star model super b in 9mm Luger for $330.
Other than that I don't really know this is why I am asking you guys. Can you guys please help me find a handgun to get.

All comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach
Old March 10, 2015, 06:42 PM   #2
HisStigness

I like pistols a lot more than revolvers, personally. Mine shoot 9mm because the ammo is cheap, recoil is light, and they have a higher magazine capacity. There are tons of full size pistols on sale from various vendors right now. People have their brand preferences, but most of them are good to go these days. I personally wouldn't be a buyer of a Turkish gun or a S&W SW9VE (S&W M&P is a great gun though). Check out slickguns.com and see what they have.
Old March 10, 2015, 06:50 PM   #3
lamarw

OK, Just go buy a used NORINCO Model 213 or a new SCCY Model CPX-2.

Simple, easy and done.

Or, you can do it like a lot of us others and go shop for a handgun. It is part of the enjoyment of acquiring a firearm or most other things in life.
Old March 10, 2015, 07:09 PM   #4
blchandl2

Arcus 98DA or 98DAC (compact). Built like a tank, very accurate, under $400. It is my most accurate gun.
Old March 10, 2015, 08:45 PM   #5
zachattack2

Blchandl,
I have looked at the the Arcus and I love it.

Does anybody have any other opinions or personal experience of these guns.
Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach
Old March 10, 2015, 08:46 PM   #6
GunLuvr01

If you want a good solid and reliable 9mm semi auto at an attractive price, you may want to be on the look out for a Ruger P95. IMO the P95 is one of Ruger's best semi autos. Used ones in decent shape go for around $300.
Old March 10, 2015, 09:55 PM   #7
AustinTX

Quote:
If you want a good solid and reliable 9mm semi auto at an attractive price, you may want to be on the look out for a Ruger P95. IMO the P95 is one of Ruger's best semi autos. Used ones in decent shape go for around $300.
Which, amazingly, is a little more than what they went for new on GB when they were still in production. But I agree, the P95 is a great gun.

The current Sigma, the SD9VE, is also a very good gun for the money. The Sigma gets a bad rap because of problems with the earliest Sigma two decades ago, but those issues were remedied long ago.

The Ruger SR9e is the economy version of the SR9, which is a very good gun. It will be a bit more expensive than the Sigma, most likely.

If you want a metal-framed pistol, the Turkish gun that I'd recommend is the Stoeger Cougar. I think it's possibly the best value in a service-size 9mm pistol available today. Stoeger is a subsidiary of Beretta, and the Cougar is made on the same tooling that Beretta once used to produce the Cougar under its name. The Stoeger version doesn't have quite the refinement of the Berettas, but it's still quite refined for its price point, which is about half of what the Beretta Cougar used to sell for. Great guns.

Try to figure out if you have a strong preference for either hammer-fired, DA/SA guns or striker-fired guns and either metal-framed or plastic-framed guns. If so, that will help you narrow down your search.
Old March 10, 2015, 10:17 PM   #8
hartcreek

Nothing wrong with a Star Model B. Yes they were built in the forties but they have a magazine disconnect, loaded chamber indicator and are made of steel. The mags hold 8 and can be had on ebay for between $22 and $34 you might even luck out and find one with Waffen stamps.
Old March 11, 2015, 08:28 AM   #9
Terminatorret

There are some very good recommendations, so far.
Please don't think you have to purchase a new gun.
Please don't think you have to purchase a "Made in the USA" gun.
There are many, many options out there. Many great bargains on the pre-owned market.
Another worthy consideration in my book would be the Zastava M70 or M70A (sometimes referred as a "Yugo"). 9mm, solid steel, dependable, accurate, easy to disassemble and clean. In the past several years, I have grown to respect and appreciate the old Comm Bloc guns like Macarov, CZ, Zastava, etc. A little research will possibly win you over, too. The Zastavas are fresh off the assembly lines with a several upgrades over the older Comm Blocs.
Good luck and enjoy your quest.
Old March 11, 2015, 08:40 AM   #10
Nathan

Those some interesting older guns......but for a shooter, I would get an XD9.
Old March 11, 2015, 08:44 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack2
I would like a nice, practical handgun to get for myself.
Practical for what? Home defense, concealed carry, range time?
Old March 11, 2015, 08:54 AM   #12
osbornk

From what I understand, the SD9VE is not a Sigma but the pistol that replaced it. I paid $289.99 for mine and have been very pleased. It is the size and weight of a Glock 19 with a similar function but a heavier trigger. It was the best value I could find with the best warranty. I would buy it again without hesitation.
Old March 11, 2015, 11:02 AM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
What handgun to buy?
I would like a nice, practical handgun to get for myself.
Quote:
zachattack2

Like that question hasn't been asked before. You haven't been around long -- this sort of question gets asked frequently. You'll get lots of opinonions (a misspelling I'll leave stand).

There are lots of options in that price range. Some good, some not.

For just a general "I just want a handgun for no specific reason" gun, I might look at the new Ruger SR9 Essentials version. Basic gun from a vendor with a good reputation for support.

Quote:
I don't know if I want a revolver of pistol? I would like it if the caliber is cheap. I would like to buy a gun around $400 if can or maybe even cheaper for a surplus gun.
Focus. What's it for?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 11, 2015, 12:26 PM   #14
Snyper

Decide what it is you expect this gun to do.

That will give you a better idea of the cartridge requirement.

The next step is handling as many as you can to find what feels right, since that is as important as the round is uses

Asking others only tells you what they like, and not what YOU will like, or what will fit your hand
Old March 11, 2015, 01:08 PM   #15
mxsailor803

+1 ^. There are naturally just too many varibles to recommend something for you to look for. Find a range that has rentals and see what you like. Then you will have a good starting point. Many people may recommend Glock, I for one can't stand how a Glock feels in my hand. Like any recommendation, it all boils down to your personal taste.
Old March 11, 2015, 02:12 PM   #16
FlySubCompact

First gun?

IMO you can't beat the one you already mentioned...the .357 revolver. That being said, good luck finding one (even used) for $400. Best I've seen locally on well used .357's around here was in the high 600's.

When I was researching my first semiauto about 3 years ago Glock was suggested. Took that advice and have not regretted that decision. I was wanting a 9mm, like you, but I ran up on a great deal on a .40 SW model G23. Bought it when I found that a $100 conversion barrel and a $30 9mm mag would later allow for 9mm shooting. That gun runs great in both modes.

Matter of fact, I just bought a brand new looking G23 for $400 about three weeks ago.
Old March 11, 2015, 02:16 PM   #17
zachattack2

SpatsMcgee.

I would like it nice for conceal carry and range time.
Old March 11, 2015, 02:48 PM   #18
Marty8613

Go to a gun show, touch and feel guns. 9mm is all I can really suggest over other calibers for a new shooter, and that is only because ammo cost will give you the most ammo to practice.

For that price range personally I would go Bersa or Tanfoglio. I have both and no real issues with either, but you have your own ideas as to look and feel preference. There are many options in that price range.
Old March 11, 2015, 03:40 PM   #19
pblanc

Quote:
IMO you can't beat the one you already mentioned...the .357 revolver. That being said, good luck finding one (even used) for $400. Best I've seen locally on well used .357's around here was in the high 600's.
I have seen one or two used Ruger GP100s recently that superficially looked to be in good condition, in the $350-400 price range.

I agree a revolver rated for .357 Magnum is a good choice as it allows for a wide range of loads varying in power all the way from lite 38 Special, through 38 Sp P+ up to .357 Magnum loads of various projectile weight and power.

But it is really hard to make intelligent suggestions unless the OP establishes some priorities such as:

Will this handgun be called upon to serve as a self-defense weapon or is it strictly going to be a range gun?

If it is to be a capable SD gun will it ever be carried/concealed?

How much handgun experience does the OP have and how much time are they willing to invest in training with said handgun if they don't have a whole lot?

How much and how often will the gun be shot?

Obviously a big gun that serves well to absorb recoil while target shooting may not be so great to carry or conceal.

Revolvers have fewer controls to master than most semi-automatic pistols and typically have fewer reliability issues. They are also much more ammunition tolerant.

Ammunition expense and availability is obviously important but ammo cost is not as big a factor for someone who shoots relatively infrequently.

As far as caliber is concerned, if the gun might be called on to serve in a self-defense capacity I think the logical choices are certainly 9mm for a semi-automatic pistol, and for a revolver one that will at least be rated for 38 Special P + ammo, and preferably one chambered for .357 Magnum. There was a time that .380 auto pistols offered advantages in portability and concealment that just weren't available with 9mm, but there are many high quality subcompact 9s now and 9mm tends to be cheaper and more widely available than .380 auto.
Old March 11, 2015, 05:55 PM   #20
Tucker 1371

You can get a Canik TP9SA for around $350, the trigger is decent and it feels nice in the hand.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old March 11, 2015, 06:33 PM   #21
zachattack2

I like the S&W SD9VE 9mm pistol, especially for the price. But I have two questions I would like to ask.

First, I would like to eventually like to use it for a carry gun and is that possible with the size of this gun? Is it slim enough, light enougn?

Second, If I shoot tons out of it like I am planning cause it is 9mm, will it hold up and still shoot after thousands of rounds?

Thanks,
Zach
Old March 11, 2015, 08:42 PM   #22
Snyper

Lots of folks carry full size guns, and most S&W's will last for years if you take proper care of them
Old March 11, 2015, 08:45 PM   #23
pblanc

If you are leaning toward a 9mm semi-automatic pistol and are interested in one you can use as a carry piece I can suggest two high quality pistols that can be purchased new for around $400 give or take a bit.

One has already been suggested by AustinTX: the Stoeger Cougar 8000. This is a very good quality gun basically functionally equivalent to the Beretta Cougar which was discontinued some years ago. Most Cougars are F models which are traditional double action pistols with a double action first shot and double strike capability, and subsequent single action shots. The Cougar F also has a slide mounted safety/decocker which is familiar to those who have used the Beretta 92FS. Unlike the Beretta 92 the F version Cougar can relatively easily be converted to a "G" model (in which the lever acts as a decocker only) without slide modification.

Some dislike DA/SA action pistols because of the transition from double action to single action and prefer a consistent trigger action. Some also dislike external safeties. The Cougars have also been felt by some to have too long and/or thick a grip or to be too heavy for carry. I understand that Stoeger is now manufacturing an L version of the 8000. The L is a compact version with a somewhat shorter grip.

If you want a simpler pistol without an external safety and with a consistent trigger pull you might look at the Sig Sauer P250. The Sig P250 has not been a raving success for two reasons. First, early models had reliability issues which have now been sorted out, but not before the model's reputation was tarnished. Secondly, the P 250 has a long, but smooth double action only trigger pull, much like that of a DAO revolver. This does not appeal to many target shooters but makes a good deal of sense for a self-defense carry pistol since the long DA trigger press functions as a safety mechanism of its own. The Sig P250 comes in compact and subcompact sizes and I have seen them going NIB for well under $400 recently.
Old March 11, 2015, 10:22 PM   #24
Dufus

SD9VE

I purchased 2 of them last month for just under $300 ea. I let the wife pick them as one was gonna be her CCW. The LCP and the Beretta Nano felt like toys to her. The SD9VE has good construction, stainless upper and poly frame.

Comes with 2 each 16 rnd capacity magazines. Comfortable to carry for me as it is not a full size and it is not too heavy although heavy enough. We have put 200 rounds thru them and function is very good with no FTF with the FMJ ammo.

I think that I may purchase a spring kit for them from Apex Tactical ($20) that is said to lighten the tripper maybe 30-40%. That will be for later.

Son and Daughter both have handled and shot them and they both really like, so I will probably purchase two more in a month or so after they take their course.

I wanted something that was not pricey for my carry. I prefer the 45ACP, but I think these will do. I don't want to give up any of my guns for evidence, but if I have to, it won't be a $900-1000 piece.
Old March 11, 2015, 11:17 PM   #25
AustinTX

Quote:
First, I would like to eventually like to use it for a carry gun and is that possible with the size of this gun? Is it slim enough, light enougn?
It's definitely possible. The gun doesn't weigh too much, and it has a reasonably slim profile for a double-stack pistol. These are matters of personal preference, but many, many people on just this site alone carry guns of this size every day.

Quote:
Second, If I shoot tons out of it like I am planning cause it is 9mm, will it hold up and still shoot after thousands of rounds?
Yes. The guns are quite durable. Just change your recoil spring on time, and the gun will almost certainly outlast any effort of yours to wear it out. It's also perfectly fine to feed it +P self-defense ammo.