The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2014, 01:41 PM   #1
mudlark

RCBS QC?

I got a young man I've been letting use my stuff for quite a while. He wants to start putting his own bench together.

I have primarily RCBS, but a mix of everything picked up new, used, etc. over the past four decades.

I was looking at the "supreme" kit at midway. I figured it would have everything he needed to get up and running. I was very surprised to see negative comments on the press and powder measure. RCBS?? You kidding me?? I know ergonomics can be ones perception, but there were actual quality issues also mentioned.

Question: Press now made in China? Rock Chucker actually different in design (why mess with perfection)?? Primer Catcher really that non-functional??? (I let mine fall where they fall and vac after reloading anyway). Uniflow issues anyone????

I'd hate to see the kid with regrets.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

m
Old October 5, 2014, 01:59 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Hi. Regardless of where RCBS has stuff made, their warrantee is the same as always. Personally, I don't think any kit is worth $900 though. Mind you, that's Midway high prices. RCBS wants $433.95 for a Rock Chucker® Supreme Master Reloading Kit. Might be worth buying direct.
http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Presse...ading-Kit.aspx
Old October 5, 2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Marco Califo

Redding makes top quality stuff in USA. I do own one of their single stage O type presses. I also own a Lyman turret and Lee handloader. The Lee handloader sees the most use by far.
I really don't think you can go horribly wrong with RCBS. Their only product I did not like was their primer pockect swager die.

Forgot to mention the Redding single stage is $120 at Wideners.com. That is not out of line with other single stage presses.
Old October 5, 2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Bart B.

My two Rockcrushers were bought in the late '70's. After many thousands of full length sizing cycles, both still have less than .005" slop in position of the ram at the tops of their stroke.

New ones I've checked have noticeably more slop with no use history at all. My circa 1966 RCBS Junior press has about .030" slop in its ram so its top than new Rockchuckers but it makes ammo just as good. Cases align themselves with the die's when they're processed; that's what's important.

For long case life and best accuracy with rifle cases, I recommend RCBS full bushing dies.

Last edited by Bart B.; October 5, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old October 6, 2014, 09:07 AM   #5
boondocker385

I have a recent edition rock chucker. ...works great! I bought the kit as it was on sale for less than $300.00 and at that price it made sense given the various pieced that came with it. Watch the prices around Christmas and use the online shopping codes...I found a 30% off and free shipping

And the primer catcher sucks....I bent some plastic and they all fall on the floor for vacuuming. When I have some time, I am going to build a catcher.
Old October 6, 2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Nick_C_S

30 years ago, I was that "young man" you are helping now. I had the good fortune of finding a mentor (my brother found him for me, to be exact). Even with today's on-line media technology, there is still no substitute for direct hands-on mentoring. So my hat's off to you. Thank you for passing down the craft.

My mentor recommended RCBS. I don't recall any discussion of any other brand, actually. I bought an RCBS "Reloader Special 2" press, along with a starter kit. I still have the press; it's still my only press; and it still works great after what has to be hundreds of thousands of cycles. Lately, I have been tossing about the idea of going progressive; and if I do, it'll be an RCBS - there is no room for further discussion. RCBS has earned my repeat business - period.

As for the kit: All of it still works. Although the scale started "doing funny things" just this year and I decided to replace it (with a "made in China" RCBS 1010 - and it works great). I don't use, and never liked the loading block (it's geared more to rifle loading and I load only pistol). Never used the funnel much. The calipers were the plastic jobbie-doos, accurate to only .005 (graduated in .01 units). They are barely sensitive enough to be useful, so I bought a "real" pair afterward. So overall: getting a kit is quick and easy but isn't necessarily a good way to go. It's good if the young man understands that it's just to get him started and he will find things that he may not use, or will replace down the road for something that suits his needs more specifically.

As for the Uniflow powder hopper: I couldn't be more pleased with it. It's been used as much as the press. And it looks 30 years old too lol. But it functions like a dream. Back then, the kits came with both large and small metering screw/cylinder assemblies. For pistol, I use the small one. I believe the new ones don't come with both large and small assemblies. But with the small assembly, my hopper measures every powder I use to an accuracy of 0.1 grains (Unique floats around a little more than 0.10; and I don't use the notoriously coarse 800X). It's a great unit and I never have the problems I read about so often of others struggling with their powder throws.

Overall, I'm glad I had a mentor. I'm glad he steered me to RCBS. And I'm glad I got the kit to get started. Fast forward 30 years, and I'm still loading. So something must have been done right from the beginning.

Last edited by Nick_C_S; October 6, 2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old October 6, 2014, 12:35 PM   #7
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
Hi. Regardless of where RCBS has stuff made, their warrantee is the same as always. Personally, I don't think any kit is worth $900 though. Mind you, that's Midway high prices. RCBS wants $433.95 for a Rock Chucker® Supreme Master Reloading Kit. Might be worth buying direct.
http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Presse...ading-Kit.aspx

As for RCBS QC, I have a number of RCBS products from Pro 2000 to die sets and have yet to have a QC problem with any of it, save the Precision Mic accuracy.
Old October 6, 2014, 01:33 PM   #8
buck460XVR

One only needs to read a few of the threads about RCBS's excellent, no BS customer service to realize that one would never have to be concerned over quality or warranty. Like any manufacturer they have their good products and their so-so ones. The components that come in the present Rockchucker kit are of excellent quality and will last most folks a lifetime. The UniFlo powder measure and the scale are far above those in other entry level kits and are ones that are recommended regularly to folks looking to buy equipment separately.
Old October 6, 2014, 02:52 PM   #9
WESHOOT2

I have always offered simple advice: When in doubt buy RCBS.

There are numerous better tools for numerous jobs, but RCBS remains a safe default choice.
Old October 6, 2014, 09:32 PM   #10
Snyper

Quote:
RCBS wants $433.95 for a Rock Chucker® Supreme Master Reloading Kit
I think I paid about $150 used for mine , nearly 40 years ago.
The only thing that has given me problems was some bent decapping pins.
Old October 7, 2014, 07:00 AM   #11
ljnowell

I'm a Lee guy, I own three of their presses. However, both RCBS and Dillon make fine equipment. It doesn't matter from the quality standpoint where a RCBS press is made because the will stand behind their product. I would rather not have a Chinese press though.
Old October 7, 2014, 06:29 PM   #12
stubbicatt

The thread title is RCBS QC, which I understand to ask about quality control?

I bought a Summit a couple years ago now. Maybe it was last year. I would tell you that what I received none of the screws had been properly tightened. It took a little adjustment and fiddling to get it to work right, but it is a neat piece of kit.

I would say that someone slipped at the factory when they shipped this one, so in this instance, QC left something to be desired.

I bought the APS hand primer. Love the tool. When they shipped it they left out the two little black plastic pieces that assist the strips to index properly. I would say in this instance their QC left something to be desired.

A call to the RCBS 800 number and the little black plastic pieces were on their way no charge. Took me awhile to discover what was wrong as it weren't as though the pieces were broken, they were missing altogether, and I thought the tool was twitchy and finicky until someone on the board here helped me figure out what was wrong.

My experience. FWIW
Old October 7, 2014, 10:54 PM   #13
mudlark

Thanks for all the great feedback. We've decided to hit a couple of the late season gun shows and watch the for sale forums. It would be nice to find a good deal on the older press and a powder measure. If not, going to go with the kit at Midway.

Thanks again y'all.

m
Old October 8, 2014, 06:14 PM   #14
Tony Z

I've been reloading for 35 years+, starting with a Lyman Spartan kit. Later I got a Lee Turret (both the Lee & Lyman have and still serve me well). Anyhow last year I decided to treat myself to another press. Played around with some used RCBS at a local flea market (great deal-never should have let get by me) and played with a new RCBS at a local gun shop (new didn't feel like the older, seemed a tad rough). Looked at Hornady at the same shop and it felt a bit better, but still not enough for me to buy.

Looked over Dillon catalogs for a few months and was getting close, really close.

Then on a whim, I ordered a Redding Big Boss II from MidSouth (or was it Graf?). Anyhow, boy am I glad I did: press was competitively priced with the others, but miles and miles ahead of the others with super smooth operation. Now I'm thinking of locating a Redding T-7 turret for this year's present to me!