The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 22, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
lawnboy

coyote decoys? or coyote "scarecrows"? enlighten me please

I've been seeing fake coyotes set up in farm fields near where I live. They're 2 dimensional cloth things, coyote shaped and printed with a coyote likeness. They're stiffened by wire. I typically see them set up in large fields 4-6 of them spread over the field from 50-100 yards between each "decoy".

My question is, are these decoys intended to draw attention of coyotes for varmint hunting purposes? Or are they a scarecrow type thing intended to scare away other small animals or birds?

I live in a semi-rural area north east of Seattle. There are a crap load of coyotes around here these days.

Anyone know the answer?

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old February 22, 2012, 05:26 PM   #2
603Country

I don't know the answer to your specific question, though I'm interested in hearing what the answer is. But...I do have a coyote decoy and have used it. Mine is 3 dimensional plastic and except for having no legs, does look like a coyote. What I found the first time I used it along with an electronic caller is that a coyote indeed did come shooting out of the woods and ran toward the decoy. But then he stopped and just sat down. He would never come any closer (so I shot him where he was), and all I can figure is that he saw my decoy as an alpha male. The 'victim' was a young male. Since that first use, I haven't had any success that I can say that was due to the decoy.
Old February 22, 2012, 06:04 PM   #3
rickyrick

I have been curious about this.

I have seen several videos in which the coyotes go right to the decoys. I don't know how much of this is plugging the sponsors.

I actually have a wiggling decoy but haven't used it yet cuz I like to coyote hunt on the light side, same reason I gave up the electronic calls and switched to mouth calls.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:24 PM   #4
shortwave

By no means am I the 'great coyote hunter'. Just been thinking about this thread and wondering if the yote decoys have been put in the field by yote hunters and if this is the yote breeding season in your area.

Seems as though that would be the best time to either put out a bitch yote decoy or a young male to attract a dominant male.

Again, just a guess and I hope someone with more knowledge chimes in on the topic.

Last edited by shortwave; February 23, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old February 23, 2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Mobuck

Using coyote"scarecrows" to prevent damage from geese is becoming more prevalent. Geese spread disease, harass livestock, and severely damage pastures and small grain crops like wheat while foraging.
Propane cannons are not popular where neighbors are close to the fields and geese become accustomed to the periodic BOOM making them less effective.
Old February 24, 2012, 08:41 AM   #6
rickyrick

I may have misunderstood the question. Mobuck seems to have the proper answer
Old February 24, 2012, 04:45 PM   #7
lawnboy

I bet Mobuck has hit the target. The geese idea cinches it. They've gotta be "ScareCrows". Western Washington has been overrun with geese for years.

Thanks all.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old February 25, 2012, 11:11 AM   #8
shortwave

Quote:
I bet Mobuck has hit the target.
Yes. Sounds reasonable.

Wonder if this same tactic could be applied for keeping deer out of crop fields?
Say beans, alfalfa etc.
Old February 26, 2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Mobuck

My older Son and I spent the weekend coyote hunting(they're breeding now). Poor results on yotes but got some real eye opening results on deer reaction to coyote howling in their immediate area. Just a couple of yips and a howl was enough to clear the fields of deer. Not a scientific analysis but it happened every time we howled with deer in sight and the deer didn't wait to see a coyote or even movement-they just boogied. My experience is that deer will closely watch a predator once it's seen and identified but only run when approached. Therefore a stationary predator decoy would not likely protect a sizable area. Random howls on the other hand, might prevent deer damage at least until they became accustomed to the sound w/o additional predator presence.
Old February 27, 2012, 07:52 AM   #10
shortwave

Mobuck,

Have also witnessed yote calls clearing deer from the area. Tis one reason why I get a kick out of when someone posts about yotes not being a threat to deer. They (the deer) scatter for some reason.

Thanks for the input...and hope your yote hunting improves.