The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 16, 2011, 09:27 AM   #1
hawkeye1

High Standard Longhorn

Just recently picked up a High Standard Longhorn with the 9 1/2 inch barrel. Single action with a swing out 9 shot cylender. That seemed like an odd thing for a single action revolver, but the darn thing shoots good. Also, came with the 22 mag cylender. Haven't tried the mags, but the 22 lr shoot great.
Anyone have any experience with these? It seems like a well made revolver.
Old August 16, 2011, 11:25 AM   #2
mj246

Are you sure it is SA only? High Standard made several models that were double action with a swing out cylinder, but looked like single actions. I don't know if the longhorn was one of these or not, but you might be able to use it double action too.
Old August 16, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
hermannr

High Standard made some very accurate weapons back when. Even Olympic compitition (22 short only) pistols. (ours are from 1965)

We have an Olympic, and a (22lr) Trophy both can obliterate a 1" X ring at 25 yards, if they are not in the "X" it was not the pistols fault. Flawless operation, adjustable trigger, adjustable sights,,,,etc

I have never shot a High Standard wheel gun, but if they are anything like their compitition automatic pistols I would expect them to be very balanced, excelent trigger, and extremely accurate.

I just looked up the "longhorn" it is a DA/SA 22LR/22mag. Not a lot of them out there, you may have just hit a home run, have fun with it...Is it from the 50's or 60's?

Last edited by hermannr; August 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old August 16, 2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Jim March

It's a DA shaped like an SA. Which is actually pretty sweet - you can use it as a "trainer" for a full-sized SA, but you also have DA capabilities.

High Standard was a very respectable maker. Not quite at the S&W or Ruger levels but not very far off - I'd much rather have an HS in good shape than a brand new equivalent Taurus.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
High Standard was a very respectable maker. Not quite at the S&W or Ruger levels but not very far off...
Kind'a yes and kind'a no.

High Standard made the best American .22 long rifle pistols between the 1930s and late 1960s, though quality started to fall off about 1970, and the company closed its doors in 1984. Smith & Wesson's model 41 ended up with the lion's share of the bullseye .22 caliber market by default. It was never a better pistol; its quality control, however, ended up being more predictable after the middle or late 1970s.

High Standard's .22 caliber revolvers tended to be a bit oddly designed, but were well made for their price range, which was below Smith & Wesson's and Colt's. It sold a .357 made by Dan Wesson, but didn't sell many. It developed a gear-driven .44 magnum and .45 ACP six-shooter, but didn't have the capital or marketing knowledge to accomplish anything with it. High Standard tried to go in too many directions with too many products at too many price points.

An individual in Texas bought the High Standard name and trademarks, and began to issue copies of the grand old top quality .22 pistols; unfortunately, his quality control was worse than the original company's at its lowest ebb.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:42 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Would love to see a photo of it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 16, 2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standing Wolf
An individual in Texas bought the High Standard name and trademarks, and began to issue copies of the grand old top quality .22 pistols; unfortunately, his quality control was worse than the original company's at its lowest ebb.
And to read some of the PR blurb coming out of what now calls itself High Standard, he tries to make it appear that the current company is a continuation of the original company.

Of course, Springfield Armory doesn't go out of their way to clarify that they have NOTHING to do with the original, government-owned and operated Springfield Armory, which is now a museum. The current Springfield Armory makes some decent firearms, but I refuse to buy from them because of their deceitful marketing practices.
Old August 17, 2011, 08:47 AM   #8
hawkeye1

You were right, it is a da/sa. I don't know how I missed that. I guess I just assumed it was SA and never tried to pull it through.
Beautiful gun. Shoots good and even came with a gorgeous western belt and holster just made for it.
If I can figure out how to get a picture posted, I will do it.