The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old October 30, 2002, 01:23 PM   #1
Jimbo 7

Cabela's

After hearing some bad experiences on here I have to share a good one. Cabela's customer service is outstanding. They usually have quality merchandise, but when I have a problem they fix it almost no questions asked.

Example: I got some "guide gear" luggage from them. This stuff was expensive and when I got it, honestly, I didn't like the looks of it, but I kept it anyway. Well, about a year and half later, after only 3 trips out of town with it, the large piece's ($220.00) handle breaks off, making it a pain to carry, because I can't wheel it. I decide even though I've had it a while, to try and return it. I fire off a letter about expecting better quality from them, etc. and ship it off. 2 weeks later I get a check for a full refund from them. It was great!

Have any of y'all had good or bad experiences?
Old October 30, 2002, 06:19 PM   #2
Noban

I also sent back some merchandise after having it in my possession for months. All I had to do was fill out the refund request and I quickly received a refund, in full. Overall, I really like their products and service.
Old November 9, 2002, 11:37 PM   #3
mparris71

Cabela's

I have had no problems ordering from cabela's pleased with every thing I have recived from them, But their Shipping prices are very unfair in my opinion. Thier shipping scale is based on what the item cost not what it really cost to ship it Unless it is something heavy like bulk bullets then they charge extra. Funny they are willing to make money on shipping but not willing to lose a cent on the same.
Old November 12, 2002, 09:10 AM   #4
Ben Swenson

I ordered some shotgun rifle sights (I ask you, does that make sense?) from them recently. Haven't gotten them yet.

I was going to ship next-day air, but I was ordering $16 dollars worth of product and was not willing to pay $30 more for shipping (the price of doing business, TANSTAAFL and all that).

Oh well...
Old December 11, 2002, 03:26 PM   #5
The Plainsman

Nothin' but good....

I've been dealing with Cabela's for probably seven or eight years and I have yet to have a problem that they failed to take care of. They've always either replaced or refunded, equal or greater value.

I've bought a LOT of clothing from them - hunting stuff, winter outer wear and casual attire. As a matter of fact, the trousers I'm wearing at this writing, came from Cabela's, and I love 'em. Some stuff's a little pricey, but a lot of it is lower priced and/or better quality than I can find elsewhere. Plus, their guarantee and return policy is unbeatable.

Recently, they built a really rip-snortin' retail outlet about 25 miles from my house. Now, I can go look at the stuff and decide whether the sales tax or shipping will be the less expensive and buy it accordingly.

Try 'em; you'll like 'em.
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old January 29, 2005, 07:07 AM   #6
accordingtome

no problems here. coustomer service rep was soooo nice i asked her to marry me. she said no? hmm..
Old January 29, 2005, 08:16 AM   #7
johnbt

I have nothing but good things to say about them. I've bought so much stuff from them over the years that at one point I was getting 3 copies of each and every catalog. I finally called and now it's down to two copies of each, but I had some presents delivered to my parents last year and now they're on the mailing list. We just pass the spares along to friends.

John
Old January 30, 2005, 04:35 PM   #8
Grim Reaper

I've purchased quite a few items from Cabela's online and at there retail store in Dundee, Michigan. I've never had troubles returning anything.

My worst experience was returning something the week between Christmas and New Years, the lines were quite long, but I expected it to be busy.
Old January 30, 2005, 09:35 PM   #9

i've had very good experiences with cabela's, including returns
Cheyenne, WY
Old January 31, 2005, 02:07 AM   #10
zappadragon

i just ordered from them tonight so I will let you know how it goes.
Old February 1, 2005, 12:07 AM   #11
TBT

I ordered a St. Croix Fly Rod from them a few years ago. It was broken in shipping. I called them at 6PM the night I recieved it and explained the issue. They told me they would send out a new one as well as a box to send back the broken one. My new rod arrived at 10AM the next morning.

Cabelas will always have my business.
Old February 1, 2005, 03:16 PM   #12
waterhouse

I was at the store once and tried to buy bulk ammo. They were sold out of the dry boxes of bulk, so the guy behind the gun counter just grabbed one of the retail dry boxes, grabbed 10 boxes of ammo off the shelf, threw them in the dry box, and wrote me a price tag to show at the register. There were a lot of people who needed to be helped and it would have been very easy for him to just say "sorry, we're sold out" and move on to the next customer.

I couldn't have been happier.

waterhouse
Old February 7, 2005, 07:51 PM   #13
zappadragon

got my stuff today with no problems good place to do bussiness with
Old February 7, 2005, 10:17 PM   #14
redrooster2

I recently received the highest quality catalog from them I have ever seen. A hardback collectors series. They are a quality outfit. Nothing but good to say about them.
Old February 8, 2005, 12:22 AM   #15
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I never have tried to return anything. I haven't had to. Pretty good quality stuff.

Bought a pair of Pentax binoculars from them and was surprised while reading the manual that the binoculars weren't waterproof. I went back and looked over the catalog. Their waterproof binoculars are listed as such in the catalog. My fault...not theirs. I've been around long enough to check things out before I commit.
Old February 8, 2005, 02:18 AM   #16
yorec

Zappdragon - that Sigma and Ruger will keep getting farther away with each Cabela's purchase!!

Cabela's = good stuff. (company's not too bad either.)
Old February 13, 2005, 10:29 PM   #17
Colduglandon

Never had a bad experience with them. Sorry I did not stop at one of there outlets when I was in the Mid West last summer. Wife and I were afraid we would spend vacation money on stuff we did not really "need".
Old April 15, 2005, 07:58 PM   #18
guntotin_fool

One thing to pay attention, the prices of firearms especially the used stuff is open to negotiation.

I bought a savage 99 marked 550 for $325, and a browning superposed mark 1275 for 800

never hurts to ask
Old April 15, 2005, 08:23 PM   #19
Colonel Klink

For those readers around here Cabela's has announced they are building a store in the Reno area. It will be near Boomtown. They also mentioned that this will be their west most store. Another business lost because of the stupid California policies. Opening late 2006 to early 2007.

For those not around here this means that folks in the capitol of CA, Sacramento, will be able to drive 1 1/2 hours and be in a shall issue state that allows citizens full auto guns. That's why I now consider Nevada my home state.
Old September 7, 2008, 04:19 PM   #20
johnwilliamson062

Been using Cabelas for a couple years always get great customer service and they stand behind products more than any retailer, except possibly newegg.com. Just had an order I forgot to put something in two days ago, box already sent out so they shipped the extra item for $2.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:43 PM   #21
wun_8_seven

[QUOTE][Example: I got some "guide gear" luggage from them/QUOTE]

Guide Gear is a registered trademark of the sportsmans guide. maybe you got your catalogs mixed up.

i've had nothing but good with Cabelas