The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 27, 2007, 11:02 AM   #1
xboxd83

what pellets work best

what pellets work best for getting the scope dialed in ,so what pellets go the straightest consistantly and where can i get them
Old March 27, 2007, 02:46 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

Just like any gun you need to deceide how you intend to use it..
Flat point[wadcutter ] pellets are the most accurate. Pointed type come in different wiehgts for small game and such.
Try RWS from Cabelas www.cabelas.com
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 27, 2007, 04:46 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

At www.pyramidair.com , if you buy any three tins of pellets, you get a 4th one and shipping free. I'd buy 4 different types that look good, and try them all to pick one that shoots well in YOUR rifle - no way to know until you try them, since rifles all have their own little idiosyncracies.

But in general, pellets from Beeman, RWS, Weirauch, H&N, and JSB will all be consistently made and shoot well. Don't use crap from Walmart or Academy - it's been cheapened for the masses vis a vis quality control. Crosmans from Pyramid and other places online, however, can be pretty good - not the same as the Crosmans in Walmart, even though they share the same name (such as the Premiers). Not sure about the Gamo pellets, but it's certainly possible that they make a few high-quality types.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/sh...r=0.177&Type=0

Edit: Actually, your best bet may be to get this pellet sampler from RWS here:

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/pe...?pellet_id=393

Try each of the 5 types and see what works best in terms of accuracy and your intended use.

What caliber is your rifle in?
Old March 27, 2007, 06:41 PM   #4
xboxd83

4EVERM-14 can you please post a picture of a wadcutter pellet and tell me the maker of them and who makes the best flathead pellets. I just intend to shoot crows, pigeons, cats (not dogs) I love dogs but I want to shoot them with pin point accuracy

FirstFreedom what is idiosyncrasies. I have a crosman quest 1000x w/scope and it’s a 0.177cal (4.5mm) and I want to buy a better one/w scope i am willing to spend about 250 more if needed but id rather not. Witch gun do you recommend for me.(no co2 break barrel only)

Do you guys think these pellets will work better than the flat head pellets?

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/pe...?pellet_id=399

Keep in mind that I am only trying to find the most accurate pellets to dial in the scope once the scope is dialed in perfect I am gunu use more dirty pellets if you know what I mean.

and do they make silencers for these things?
Old March 27, 2007, 08:27 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Just meaning that different guns will "like" different pellets, even guns of the same model. A wadcutter, or flat-faced pellet, is the standard/cheapest/most common kind. It just means a flat face, not a rounded, pointed, or hollow point face. I have the Crosman Quest 800 in .177 (similar to yours), and it's my go-to gun for yard starlings & grackles. I nailed a grackle yesterday at over 35 yards... he dropped straight to the ground. This was with a Gamo wadcutter pellet - yes, even though I preach against Walmart pellets for top notch accuracy, they work fine for reasonable accuracy. The wadcutters NOT ONLY are very accurate, but they actually kill birds more effectively than a rounded or pointed, because they transfer a lot of energy & expand, and you don't need much penetration to kill a bird. And for competition, you want accuracy, period, without regard to killing power. If you're shooting past 10 yards, outdoors, you MAY want a rounded nose pellets to fight the wind better (heavier pellet). Look at that picture of the RWS pellets in the variety pack that I linked to above. Two of them are wadcutters (the 3rd and 4th from left), one is pointed, one is hollow point.
Old March 27, 2007, 11:31 PM   #6
Slopemeno

If you can find some, try the H&N Wadcutters. They're very consistent.
Old March 27, 2007, 11:51 PM   #7
xboxd83

So wadcutter pellets are basically flathead pellets so who makes the best wadcutter pellets? im using gamo master point and gamo hunter pellets to pick stuff off for now. Whats a starling or grackle? Once my scope is dialed in what pellets should I use to be mean haha iv bin looking at the JSB .177 Predator pellets and the LOGUN .177 Penetrator to make things dirty which one do you think I should use or do you know of anything dirtier? I want to buy a better one/w scope I am willing to spend about 250 more if needed but id rather not. Witch gun do you recommend for me. (No co2 break barrel only) I don’t know if this will help you recommend a gun for me but I live on about a half acer of land. Lastly do they make silencers for these guns or can I buy an upgraded or better barrel and put it on my current gun?

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/pe...?pellet_id=352

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/pe...?pellet_id=306
Old March 28, 2007, 05:06 AM   #8
Joe D

IMO the best buy in an air rifle is the RWS/Mendoza 94. I have two of them - .22 and .177. Both have excellent adj. triggers and a soft recoil.
There is a huge difference in knock down power between a .22 and .177. The 94 in .22 pushes a Crossman Premier pellet at 780 fps. The .177 will go 950-970 fps.
When a .177 pellet hits a pigeon they sometimes just look at you and keep walking. The .22 pellet makes a loud "fop" and the bird goes down.
I have killed a lot of crows and "tree rats" with the .22.
My second choice would be a RWS 34 in .22.
Old March 28, 2007, 08:20 AM   #9
FirstFreedom

xbox, where do you live? And is this for BOTH competitions and hunting? Or just competitions? The penetretors are a very short-range proposition.
Old March 28, 2007, 11:57 AM   #10
xboxd83

i live in california if that helps in the sgv but iv bin looking at the
crosman Tac 1 Extreme by crosman
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/mo...?model_id=1223

for a .22 cuz that sounds good now and a
viper by gamo
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/mo...?model_id=1017

for the .177
Old March 28, 2007, 04:36 PM   #11
oldbillthundercheif

Back when I was shooting air-rifle matches fairly often, my rifle really liked these Rottweilschache (RWS) Meisterkugeln R10 pellets. They come in light and heavy versions.
Old March 28, 2007, 06:33 PM   #12
4EVERM-14

xboxd83,
oldbillthunderchief just posted a very good brand of wadcutter pellet.
The R-10 is primarily a competition pellet but can be used for anything.
Also there is Vogel and H&N.
Crosman Premierpellets are a domed pellet that the field target shooters and silhouette swear by. It's heavier and might be better for longer shots.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 28, 2007, 07:03 PM   #13
tatera

Starlings and grackles are sometimes called blackbirds.

Grackle
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...=Search+Images

http://www.dpughphoto.com/images/boa...h%20121205.JPG

Starling:
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...v=2&q=starling

I don't believe they are song birds (at least I've never heard a song-esk sound come from them) and are considered pests by many folks. They both make a loud "chick" or "cluck" song that isn't very pleasent.

Even 30 years ago they were a favored BB gun target. I'm not much into shooting critters so i don't bother, but you can be sure these things are not on any endandered species list.
Old March 28, 2007, 07:03 PM   #14
xboxd83

whats better anyway co2 or break barrel
Old March 28, 2007, 07:34 PM   #15
oldbillthundercheif

Neither. If you want to go all-out, the compressed-air systems are the squirrel's nuts. You refill the little reusable tanks from a SCUBA tank with an adapter. It's kind of elaborate for a plinking / small-game air-rifle, but if you are looking for the best paper-puncher it's the top of the line system.

For small-game and plinking, I like the RWS model 48 side-cocker. 1100fps in .177 and 900fps in the .22 version. They are kind of expensive, but they are accurate and hit critters like a ton of bricks.
Old March 28, 2007, 10:59 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

It depends on the type of competition.

For 10m type competitions, particularly indoors, there's not much better than a match wadcutter.

If you're talking about silhouette or field target, the round nose pellets are going to win out over the far less aerodynamic wadcutters. I'd venture to say that you won't find any wadcutters in use in field target, and few, if any used in silhouette.

CO2 is temperature dependent and not often used in current competitions. The pre-charged pneumatics and single-pump pneumatics tend to dominate.

If you are looking at a springer vs a CO2, I'd go with the springer. Only thing to remember is that in a high-volume (lots of shots) match, the cocking effort of a springer can cost you points when you begin to tire.
Old March 28, 2007, 11:01 PM   #17
Dave Haven

Quote:
For small-game and plinking, I like the RWS model 48 side-cocker.
Same here. I bought one in .22 caliber a couple of years ago. It's deadly on small game, and quite accurate. And I learned that the GAMO pellet trap won't hold up to a .22 cal. RWS 48 at 10 yards.
Old March 29, 2007, 12:09 AM   #18
xboxd83

Joe D- I don’t know iv hit some cats with .177 gamo master point pellets and yea they ran away but I haven’t seen them since.

Oldbillthundercheif- thanks for the info on those pellets were can I get them?

Tatera- tatera funny thing happened to me today, I was shooting birds in my backyard and when I shoot right after I shoot I load the gun again but I don’t cock it because I don’t like to leave the spring compressed im pretty sure that’s not a good thing, well anyway I loaded the gun and didn’t cock it then I saw a grackle (my new word) and aimed at it, waited till I was steady and locked on, pulled the trigger and absolutely nothing happened because like a lame I forgot to cock it so I go to cock and it undoughtedly flys away

JohnKSa- (repeat) Keep in mind that I am only trying to find the most accurate pellets to dial in the scope once the scope is dialed in perfect I am gunu use more dirty pellets if you know what I mean.

(repeat)- I want to buy a better one/w scope I am willing to spend about 250 more if needed but id rather not. Witch gun do you recommend for me. (No co2 break barrel only) I don’t know if this will help you recommend a gun for me but I live on about a half acer of land.(im a loser and I like that the black and grey CIA looking guns)

(repeat)- i live in california if that helps in the sgv but iv bin looking at the

viper by gamo

for the .177
Old March 29, 2007, 01:05 AM   #19
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Keep in mind that I am only trying to find the most accurate pellets to dial in the scope once the scope is dialed in perfect I am gunu use more dirty pellets if you know what I mean.
You might as well sight in with the "dirty pellets". At least then you'll have the scope sighted to the pellets you're actually using. Different pellets can have surprisingly different points of impact from the same airgun. I don't know of any serious airgunner who would recommend sighting with one type of pellet and shooting/hunting/competing with another type.

Anyway, the point I was trying to get across is that what's accurate indoors at close range is not necessarily a good choice outdoors at longer range.

Guess that's all splitting hairs if you're not going to be shooting with what you used to sight in.

Ok, you didn't ask, but I'm going to tell you what I would do.

Buy a few tins of various medium-weight for caliber round nose pellets. If you don't want to spend much on them then buy several types of economy pellets. Frankly, if it were me, I'd buy a good peep sight and use the difference between the peep sight cost and the scope cost to buy better pellets. Or just shoot iron sights--I'd take good quality ammunition over expensive sighting equipment any day.)

Shoot some groups with each kind of pellet until you find the one that groups the best at the distance you'll be shooting most often and then adjust your scope so those pellets shoot to point of aim. You DEFINITELY need to do your testing at realistic shooting ranges since some pellets that are very accurate at close range can really scatter at longer ranges.

Learn about the laws in your area so you know what is legal to shoot and what is not. Grackles are federally protected--but there aren't many federal game wardens. State game wardens are another story. It would be smart to find out what your state laws say about grackles. TX says you can shoot them but only under certain circumstances.
Old March 29, 2007, 06:07 AM   #20
tatera

Hmmm... I didn't realize Grackles were federally protected. I just assumed most folks didn't like them because they are too numerous and make an ugly sound. I would also recommend looking up the laws in your area.

I'd think twice about shooting larger animals too. Cats are not likely going to die. I use an airsoft for strays (.2g BBs at about 300 fps - 10 yards or closer). This can sting but doesn't otherwice cause any injury. I usually do not get repeat customers. Of course Gamo has a video on their site of someone killing a 200 lbs pig with their pellet gun using PBA pellets.
Old March 29, 2007, 11:04 AM   #21
xboxd83

HohnKSa- thanks makes sence dial in the site using the pellets im going to use and im thing about buying a barrel a 24" or shorter do you think the long barrel will slow do the pellet more with the friction form the inside more than a shorter barrel?

tatera- yea i didnt know that i didnt even know what they were but i dont even get many of them

(repeat)- I want to buy a better one/w scope I am willing to spend about 250 more if needed but id rather not. Witch gun do you recommend for me. (No co2 break barrel only) I don’t know if this will help you recommend a gun for me but I live on about a half acer of land.(im a loser and I like that the black and grey CIA looking guns)

(repeat)- i live in california if that helps in the sgv but iv bin looking at the

viper by gamo

for the .177
Old March 29, 2007, 11:59 PM   #22
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
do you think the long barrel will slow do the pellet more with the friction form the inside more than a shorter barrel?
In a springer, the pellet is given a tremendous "boot" to get it going. Anything past the first few inches of barrel length is actually slowing the pellet down due to friction. The pneumatics (pump-up, single-stroke or pre-charged) operate more like firearms in that barrel length increases velocity--to a point. As with firearms, as the power decreases, maximum velocity is reached in a shorter an shorter barrel. Or, said another way, as power decreases, the friction dominates more quickly.

For what it's worth, 24" is pretty long for an airgun barrel.

One other thing. If ammo cost is a serious consideration, .177 is hard to beat.
Old March 31, 2007, 06:36 AM   #23
Joe D

I too have wondered why the barrels are so long on springer guns. Seems to me the better setup for a barrel cocker would be a fairly short barrel 12-14" with a longer shroud for cocking. I think a good experiment would be to take one of the cheap Chinese side cockers and start cutting the barrel back an inch at a time and chrono the results.
Old March 31, 2007, 10:44 AM   #24
FirstFreedom

Please don't shoot a cat with a pellet gun. That is unethical, and gives hunters and shooters a bad name. Use enough gun to put the critter down quickly, commensurate with the animal's size. A .22 short, long, or long rifle is the minimum for a cat.
Old March 31, 2007, 01:10 PM   #25
xboxd83

i only shoot cat because i truly do hate them for one im really alergic to them and second there idiots i always have to pick them up off the ground because they keep coming back into my yard even they know i have a pitbull
and its this long process were i get a bucket put a trash bag in the bucket and then try and use my shovel to make the cat land in the bucket without it touching the sides so i can tie it up and throw in my neighbors dumpster it all could really be avoided if they just stayed out of my yard so i like to shoot em.
my dogs [stats]
103cats 23birds 11goffers 4 posums 2dogs
NO joke either iv bin keeping track since the day i got him he's almost 8 years old now human years

viper by gamo

for the .177