The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 10, 2012, 10:41 AM   #1
wlb75

CC holster help, complicated issue

After exhaustively researching the best way to make a HD gun quickly accessible yet secure from our curious three year old, we decided to carry it with us at all times. My wife wants to get a secure holster for our XD 9, that will keep the gun very secure even if our three year old climbs on us. We are running into an issue because she has an ostomy. She is 31, thin, and now in perfect health except the ostomy. Because of the way the ostomy bag has to function, she can't wear anything tight around her waist. A shoulder holster prints too easily on her, because she is small. What else is left that would be very secure for her to carry with a three year old. The best we could do so far is a belly band with retention strap worn high and slightly to the side. I'm not sure if this keeps the gun secure enough for her to wear around our child, since it is nylon, and not a proper rigid holster. As of now I'm not allowing her to carry since I feel the risks to our three year old outweigh the benefit of her carrying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:12 AM   #2
JerryM

Maybe Kathy at http://corneredcat.com/ has some suggestions.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Sixer

What kind of gun is it?

Ankle carry!? Just thinking out loud here...

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:38 PM   #4
wogpotter

My first thought was off body carry in a concealment purse/tote/pocketbook or something similar but with a shoulder strap. It gives security, no waist impediment & is sealed from curious fingers till you rip the Velcro (or whatever).

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old May 10, 2012, 06:51 PM   #5
BarryLee

How about a bra holster?

http://www.flashbangholster.com/Flas...r/Welcome.html
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 10, 2012, 07:24 PM   #6
wlb75

It's a springfield xd9sc, although we are going shopping soon, she thinks they are too heavy, and too small. I liked the grip safety being there without having to consciously flip off a safety in a stressful situation. Thanks for all the suggestions, she wants to carry on person. This one is tough to do safe with a hyper three year old clinging to her and having the occasional temper tantrum. Wish the belly band had a rigid trigger guard instead of nylon. I wonder if I could attach a rigid holster to it securely somehow? She really favors the glock 19s, but without something more secure around the trigger there is no way I am going to let her carry that with our kid pawing at her.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:25 PM   #7
wlb75

Actually ill show her the bra holster, that might work... see what she says... thanks