The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2015, 09:16 AM   #1
ezmiraldo

Got Mossberg 500 in 12 guage for HD. Need advice on the best mods...

Hey guys!

I've got me a 20-inch-barrel pump-action Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge, and was wondering what ya'll recommend as the most useful modifications/customizations/additions to make this shotgun perform best as a home defense firearm?

This shotgun is a plain-jane bead-sight version with rail on the front of the gun, 9-cartridge-capacity, and a fixed stock.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by ezmiraldo; January 8, 2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old January 8, 2015, 09:31 AM   #2
precision_shooter

You will probably get better responses in the Shotgun forum...

For me, a home defense weapon means high stress situations.
I use the KISS method.
Plain and simple, not a lot of doodads, widgets, and gizmos. Just a weapon I am familiar with so I know where all of the controls are in pitch dark...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 8, 2015, 12:13 PM   #3
g.willikers

If you want to go first class, a mounted light would be possibly useful, as would a decent set of sights.
But some kind of training for using a shotgun defensively indoors would be even better.
Old January 8, 2015, 06:12 PM   #4
gpjoe

I don't usually go fo anything "tacticool" but I did swap the standard buttstock on my 18.5" 500 Persuader with an M4-style adjustable stock with pistol grip. I prefer it because the LOP on the standard stock just felt way too long for me and I like the addition of the pistol grip. I also like that I can shorten it for easier handling around the house, if necessary. The only other thing I bolted on is a light.
Old January 8, 2015, 06:36 PM   #5
CarJunkieLS1

Yup I'd get familiar with the weapon FIRST!!! In a high stress HD situation I perfer KISS principle. Take the $ you would spend on gadgets and buy ammo take the shotgun to the range and get familiar with the trigger,action, safety location,etc.

I will say this last year when I was involved in a home defense situation it was pitch black and I didn't have to worry about gadgets getting in the way or turning them on etc. If I did have to shoot it was as easy as point and pull(fortunately I didn't) I will say this that I do wish I had a flashlight mounted to it tho.
Old January 8, 2015, 06:46 PM   #6
Mobuck

The only add-ons I'd even consider would be a light and a side saddle ammo holder.
Old January 8, 2015, 06:48 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Side Saddle shell holder.
Speed feed stock that takes four extra shells.
Have the forcing cone reamed out. It'll reduce recoil slightly for faster follow-up shots.
Old January 8, 2015, 07:13 PM   #8
Virginian

Ammo is all you need. You said home defense, not tactical.
Old January 8, 2015, 07:51 PM   #9
Bake

An extra 28" barrel to shoot Skeet. Ammo to shoot 100 rounds of Skeet, and maybe some "5" Stand & Trap.

After shooting 3 rounds of Skeet with the 28"er pull it off and shoot a round with the short barrel.

When you can shoot in the middle 90's, the Mossberg might be ready, but not before...

Last edited by Bake; January 10, 2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old January 8, 2015, 08:18 PM   #10
idek

Aside from a light and some means of holding extra shells on the gun, you might consider a shorter stock. This allows you to move more freely in a squared up position. Hogue makes a 12" LOP stock that a lot of people like. Magpul's SGA stock seems to have attracted interest as well (and spacers let you adjust the LOP to your liking).

I personally would shy away from the M4-type grip/stock on a gun with a tang safety like the Mossberg 500, just because it requires more thumb maneuvering to operate. Might not be a big deal to other people though.

Some people also like a sling in case you need use of your hands for opening doors or dialing 911 or whatever.
Old January 8, 2015, 08:21 PM   #11
Sharkbite

First and foremost, some kind of attached light. A pump gun is the HARDEST of all long guns to use with a handheld light. A light is a must have on a HD longgun, cause if you cant ID it, you shouldnt shoot at it.

You can use a handheld light with a semi, but a pump is just too difficult. So a dedicated light is first.

Second, i would consider a second source of ammo. This can be loaded with extra of what you have in the tube or another type of ammo altogether. One of the great benifits of a Shotgun is the ability to shoot a wide variety of loads out of the same gun.

For these same reasons i dont see the Shotgun as a beginners weapon. Ammo management can get confusing and working a longgun indoors with a light is a skill that needs to be learned and understood.

That leads to the Training mentioned above. GET IT!! The Defensive Shotgun is the least understood weapon out there. The myths and pure bullcrap about its capabilities are unbelievable.

You dont need to shoot skeet/trap/sporting clays, you need a GOOD defensive Shotgun course. Ive never had to shoot a flying attacker or one bouncing along the ground like a bunny. Learn how to engage man size targets at speed at appropriate distances. Those distances may surprise you. As will your ability to miss a man size target with a Shotgun.
Old January 8, 2015, 09:00 PM   #12
ezmiraldo

Not sure I need training, because I heard you don't even need to aim the shotgun to hit your target... (just kidding -- I know this is a popular myth).

But seriously -- thanks, folks! You are spot on regarding professional training. I will try to educate myself as much as I can right now, and definately get some good-quality training before making shotgun my primary HD weapon.

WML, ammo carriers, and better sights are my most likely mods, as of right now. I wonder how you guys feel about stock that folds by going on top of the shotgun for close-quarters? This shotgun is long...

Last edited by ezmiraldo; January 8, 2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old January 8, 2015, 09:15 PM   #13
BlueSmoke14

I'd go with an oversize safety and I'd dump the magazine follower and install one made of Delrin from S&J hardware. They make one machined from Delrin sized for the Mossberg mag tube.

I shoot at a very sandy range. Some how sand got in the mag tube and bound up my M500 because the factory steel follower did not have enough clearance to clear the sand.
Old January 8, 2015, 09:25 PM   #14
idek

I'd avoid a folding stock. If I wanted a gun without a stock, I'd use a handgun. And if you're right in the heat of the moment, would you ever really stop to fold or unfold the stock to suit the situation?
Old January 8, 2015, 09:42 PM   #15
Sharkbite

I Would avoid any folding stock, but the over folders are the worst of the worst. Those thin metal rails will chew up your face when shooting with the stock extended

Also with the mossbergs top mounted safety, getting to it with any kind of pistol grip installed (folding stock or not) is pretty hard.

Good sights are nice to have but not needed. A barrel bead will work just fine at defensive distances. You can even put slugs into a man sized tgt out to 75-100 yds with some practice. The key is a consistant cheek weld. That is harder with one of the folding stocks.
Old January 8, 2015, 11:46 PM   #16
POC

If inside a multifamily dwelling, condos or apartment, I'd steer away from a shotgun or pistol. Go with a M4 sized rifle in .223 or 5.56.
Old January 9, 2015, 03:30 AM   #17
Dreaming100Straight

In this order of priority:

1. As far as mods, get a light and make sure it is a rugged weapons light that will take the recoil of a 12 gauge.

Nothing else! Yours holds plenty of ammo. Anything else just increases the likelihood that you snag on something in the confines of a dwelling. You don't need sights. They are just as likely to narrow your peripheral vision and slow done the time to get of shots. A bead is all you need. This is home defense and not combat. Forget a smaller stock that allows you to square up as you move. That is a suckers game. Take a defensible position and hold it until the police arrive. It is too easy to have a long arm taken away in a home. If you want to clear rooms, get a pistol if you must.

2. Shoot it and shoot it some more.

3. Take a home defense class - NOT a combat or tactical course!

4. Shoot it and shoot it some mote.
Old January 9, 2015, 08:34 AM   #18
ezmiraldo

Thanks, folks. Very good advice.
Old January 9, 2015, 08:54 AM   #19
Gunfixr

A light would be good. If the stock is long, an m4 style, or just a youth stock, but only if the one on it is long.
Other than that, get it dirty. Trigger time is the best thing. Ideally, under training.
Old January 9, 2015, 01:08 PM   #20
Willie Lowman

In memory of Hogdogs I will tell you, "Wear marks on the action bars" is the best thing you can put on a 500.
Old January 9, 2015, 11:10 PM   #21
Noreaster

I've seen something that looks interesting, mounting the side saddle with velcro. Easy off and on. The instructor that I observed doing this (can't recall his name but he was ex marine spec ops) really knew his shotgun and the velcro system worked well for him.

I tried the knox stock on my duty 870 and did not like it at all. Standard stock all day for me.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:17 PM   #22
ezmiraldo

Just got back from a local gun store (was trying to find a better bead sight for my Mossberg 500 - something I can see in the middle of the night). One guy was giving me this (I'm sure well-intentioned) advice: "Why worry about the bead sight?! You don't even have to aim your shotgun at home-defense distances. Just rack the pump and bad guys will poop their pants!" I'm completely new to shotguns, but I think I can spot a crappy advice when I hear it.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:50 PM   #23
g.willikers

Yes, you can ignore that fellow.
At home defense distances, the buckshot pattern is like a very large bullet.
Although the sound of chambering a round causing panic might have some merit.
The folks who owned a business I once frequented kept a permanent coffee maker going, for the local police to enjoy.
Nearby was an old fashioned coin operated candy machine that made sounds just like a shotgun being racked when the knob was turned and the coin dropped.
Whenever someone used it, It always made the visiting cops do a quick turn around.
It was kind of suspicious that folks got hungry for candy about the time the cops arrived.
They didn't seem to enjoy the humor, though, especially if they sloshed coffee on their shoes.

Last edited by g.willikers; January 10, 2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old January 10, 2015, 01:21 PM   #24
ezmiraldo

I'm not an expert, but I just can't think of a situation where I might want to rack the slide of a shotgun in self defense... It momentarily makes shotgun inoperable, plus I lose a chambered round. I think I'd rather give an authoritative verbal command to BG to drop to the floor or leave my house (if BG is unarmed and fully cooperative). But, then again, since I'm just now getting into shotguns, I might change my take on this after learning about shotgun tactics more... What's your take on this, G.W.?
Old January 10, 2015, 01:28 PM   #25
Bake

I've always felt the sound of the "Rack" was "Over Rated". I say, "Just shoot the SOB, and be done with it!"...