The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 28, 2002, 09:50 PM   #1
shotcalla

Which autoloader to buy?, 1187, Browning or Weatherby

The gun will be used mostly for casual trapshooting, maybe some bird hunting, I will shoot probably 2500 rounds per year (no reloads, usually the Wal-Mart 100 packs) and I clean my guns religiously. I like to buy stuff new and keep it forever so resale is not a factor. I also like wood guns so the Wally AL390 is not in the list.

I've got it down to 2 choices that both fit me:
1187 premier: $530 Wal-Mart less 50 rebate=480
Pro: Price, Parts won't be a problem
Con: Will I need lots of parts? Will it handle 2.75 and 3 dram shells despite that the website says it won't?

Browning Gold: $800 at Wal-Mart less 100 rebate =$700
Pro: Its a Browning, maybe better with light loads
Con:Price

Then I saw at CDNN they had the Weatherby SAS for $480, is this the best deal on the planet, I've searched TFL and not found much, I wonder if parts or service could be a problem and if they are reliable.

Is the Browning worth all the extra money, will the 1187 shoot the cheap loads and should I gamble on the Weatherby.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
Old September 29, 2002, 07:09 AM   #2
S.F.S

Another Suggestion

Possibly look for a used Remington 1100 at the local gunshops, can usually find them for under $400.00. I just put an 1100 Special Field on lay-away and it cost me $300.00.

The problem with the 1187 at Wal-mart is thats its the Light Contour version and regular 1187 barrels wont interchange with it. I have "heard" that alot of auto's will not cycle Wal-marts 100 pack Federal's and Winchesters.
I have never seen anything on Remingtons website about the Dram usage.

Scott

Last edited by S.F.S; September 30, 2002 at 06:02 PM.
Old September 29, 2002, 08:40 PM   #3
retiredsquid

You also left off the Winchester Super X2. It is a very nice shotgun and the "economy" version of the Browning Gold. Lots of accessories and will take any round you put in it.
Rich
Old October 2, 2002, 12:22 AM   #4
Kingcreek

I would suggest you check around for the Winchester Super X (up to 3"). Nice gun, great balance and function is flawless.
The Super X2 is a great choice if you might want the 3.5" option but the increased weight and cost over the SuperX might be a factor to consider.
I bought a synthetic SX2 for duck/goose hunting and I like it just fine,
Old October 2, 2002, 01:47 AM   #5
bamf

Well if you get away from Walmart, I'm sure you can find a Beretta 391 with a woodstock. I find among autoloaders, the 391 and Rem 1100 tend to dominate the clay fields.