The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 19, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1
allenhead

Remington 11-87 question

Ok guys, I'm new to the shotgun world. I hope to take up bird hunting a a hobby. I have narrowed my purchase down to the Remington 11-87. If I were to go into a sporting store like Dick's and purchase this shotgun, would I get the same exact gun as if I went into Walmart and picked up the same configuration? 28 in barrel Black Synthetic stock 12 Ga Any answers and clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 19, 2010, 11:31 PM   #2
zippy13

There are quite a few different Model 11-87s with black synthetic stocks. To make sure you are comparing the same one, see that the order number is the same on both boxes.
Old October 20, 2010, 12:24 PM   #3
BigJimP

The Remington website - will give you all the versions of the 11-87 ....but sometimes companies like Dicks, etc ....will have guns that were specific promotional guns made up for them / but rarely, if ever, are they different mechanically.

There may be some cosmetic differences ...
Old October 20, 2010, 03:25 PM   #4
markj

Go to wal mart, it is where I bought mine. 11-87 light contour, has a lighter feel than my older one had. Swings easy and is my main shooter now. paid 500.00 out the door too.
Old October 25, 2010, 03:53 PM   #5
rburch

My mom bought my dad one for christmas a few years ago. Got it from Dicks as they had the cheapest price by about $30.

Noticed after he opened it that it only came with a Modified choke tube.

Checked with dicks, and that's how the guns are sold there, but they would be happy to sell me the other chokes...

So we just spent about $50 buying 2 remchokes and a choke wrench for his birthday. (Bought them online, much higher price at dicks)

So if the option of different chokes is something you really want, then you may want to look elsewhere.

Not sure what walmart offers, but know my local gunshops offer them with full, mod, & improved tubes.

The quality of the gun itself is fine, heard several times the myth/urban legend that walmart, dicks, etc get the crappy guns that don't pass the inspection for the actual gun shops. It's bull from my experience, most of the time passed on by shop owners to get people to buy from them.

You shouldn't worry about that, just check what accessories you're getting with the as many of the big box stores cut some corners there to increase profits.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old October 28, 2010, 03:55 PM   #6
buymore

truth be told, I own both 1100's and 1187's and I would buy a nice USED 1100 over and 1187 any day if you don't need 3" or more capability. My most recent purchase of an 1187 was on Gunbroker.com. I got a barely used 12 g , laminate stock, 28" VR bbl, came in very nice RedHead padded cases, 4 choke tubes, clip on fiber optic sights in the case. Metal was the Sportsman matte blacj type, but like new. My total cost was $330 shipped and transferred ($20 ffl fee) I did end up putting another $16 into a Feedlatch spring to make it work. Did the repair myself easily! I admit that is a steal, but I've also found really nice 1100's recently for under $250 shipped on the auctions too. I prefer the 1100 over the 1187 any day of the week.