The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 18, 2010, 08:26 AM   #26
The Deuce

A little off base i know..

BUT..

This Non-Felonious Misdemeanors WILL NOT Prohibit you from purchase, owning, or using a firearm...

C Assault (§§ 240, 241.)

I am a Law Abiding Citizen but I got into a scuffle on a drunken night and ended up in the county jail w/ a charge of assault that I pled guilty to..

Guess what ?! Not only do I own an assortment of MANY different firearms, but I also have my Class III Stamp.. Yes I can own Silencers/Automatic weapons/S.B.S.-A.O.W.

So NO a simple Assault will NOT prevent you from ever owning a firearm...

C Two or more convictions of 417(a)(2) (§ 12021(a)(2).)
* A “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” (§§ 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(33)(A)
18 U.S.C. 922(g)(9)

Ummmmmmmmmmmm I am pretty sure 1 conviction of Misdemeanor Domestic Violence does this in for ya.. NOT TWO OR MORE..

To The Original Poster:

YOU NEED TO GET THIS ISSUE CLEARED THROUGH YOUR STATE'S IDENTIFICATION BUREAU... HAVE TO. BECAUSE EVERYTHING MAY BE CLEAR EVERYWHERE ELSE, BUT IF YOU DON'T GET IT CLEARED UP THROUGH THEM, EVERYTIME YOUR NAME IS RUN, IT WILL SHOW UP ON .. WHATEVER THEY ARE RUNNING, IT'S THE ID BUREAU FOR CRYING OUT LOUD LOL,

IF YOU DON'T CLEAR IT WITH THEM, THEN EVERYTIME THE FIREARM CHECK IS RUN, IT WILL POP. TRUST ME.. LOL.. MY STUPID IDIOT BROTHER WENT THROUGH THE SAME THING..

OH AND... EXCELLENT CHOICE ON A GUN.. ARE YOU GETTING FULL SIZE OR COMPACT???
Old April 18, 2010, 10:59 AM   #27
22-rimfire

You have a choice. Either try to buy something new through a dealer or go through the appeals process on the first. The new purchase will tell the tale and if they check previous NICs checks, you will automatically be denied again regardless of whether or not the records have been fixed at this point.

Other option is to buy from an individual since you say you are legally able to own firearms.
Old April 18, 2010, 11:28 AM   #28
NavyLT

Is there any reason why you cannot do both? Buy a new gun with a new form AND appeal the old one? I would think you would want to complete the appeal on the old one so you have an official written record of the mistake and the fix.
Old April 18, 2010, 11:38 AM   #29
sakeneko

If this were me, nik-e, I would definitely complete the appeal whether you go ahead and try to get your new gun first or not. You want *all* the paperwork that indicates that this was fixed in your possession, in case it turns up later on a record search for a gun purchase or some other issue and you need to deal with it. I *loathe* paperwork, but you do not want to leave something like this undealt with.
Old April 18, 2010, 01:11 PM   #30
The Deuce

This is why I said if you clear it up with whatever State YOU WERE CHARGED WITH THE INITIAL TICKET/and HAD THE UNFORTUNATE MIX-UP IN...

Contact their State Department of Identification Bureau.. You can make it so whenever your NAME + D.O.B. + SSN is ran for ANY kind of Background check.. it will reflect what that Bureau has in THEIR system.

It's the only way to 100% correct it permanently!!
Old April 18, 2010, 02:28 PM   #31
jonnyc

Jaybirdjtski, are those just for California??
Old April 18, 2010, 04:45 PM   #32
nik-e

Okay so Heres the answer to my question lol I got a nice little call from the CBI because I asked someone to speak to a supervisor and after the third attempt they allowed me to leave him a message.....

You have to finsih the appeal (I sent my paperwork in thursday!) because if I were to try to purchase another gun it could do one of two things first its illegal because it looks like im trying to go above the system (remeber these are his words not mine) and second instead of comming back denied it would have come back as unable to apply for a firearm,in other words once your denied even if its changed in thier computers like mine is You have to finish the appeal because once you start they put a block on you basically so your name cant even go thru the system. Lame but it would have saved me a lot of frustration for someone to have just told me that when I first asked, it cant be that rare of a question for them.

But thanks everyone for your help!!
Old April 18, 2010, 06:35 PM   #33
Steam Boat

Glad to hear that you got some good, confirmed information from someone in a position of authority. Verses trying to decipher and trust half truths and misinformation from the stiffs that answer the phones.
Old April 21, 2010, 05:09 AM   #34
bogieb

Quote:
It was entered as a felony drug charge damn the luck but it has been fixed and I called CBI it was changed in thier system but I got two different answers from them the first guy said I could bypass the appeal if I go to a different dealer the second said NO NO I'm stuck in the appeal process which will take atleast 30 days once I get an official letter from the county explaining the mess up..
To me, the fact that they said that you could BYPASS the system by going to a second dealer sends up a big red flag. Bypassing the system may come back to haunt you later, and for gun ownership you probably don't want that.

I would go thru the whole process to ensure that the matter is cleared up throughout the system.
3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 bird and 1 husband

Tags
appeal , cbi , deniel