The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 8, 2008, 01:07 AM   #1
Ranger Al

Smith & Wesson 1000 shotgun

I have both 12 and 20 guage shotgun. It is seem that the firing pin is very weak. It doesn't hit the primer hard enough. Anybody know how I could fit it myself or will it be local Smithy job? Do I need to replace certain spring or does it just need good cleaning?
Old December 18, 2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Mike215

Sounds like it needs a DAMN good cleaning, the firing pin is probably getting stuck on some gunk in there... Take the bolt completely apart, but go to SW's website and see if they have prints for that gun... If not, look up a PDF file for it. Or just buy a manual.. But it sounds like its a problem with it being VERY dirty... Happened to my 500ATP.. Hope this helped.

- mike
Old December 21, 2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Bowhunter

Ranger Al, I concur with Mike 215. Over my years of gunsmithing, I have seen very few parts go bad on the S & W 1000. It is one of the very best semi-auto shotguns out there. Giving it a "very good" cleaning will cure 99% of it's ill's. That "should" take care of your light primer hits................Dick