The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2002, 12:44 AM   #1
Ed Dixon

Carbide dies.

It doesn't seem that carbide dies are available for every caliber. If so, why? Either way, is there any reason not to use a carbide sizing die? Except for somewhat higher price, why hasn't carbide completely supplanted steel sizers?
Old November 8, 2002, 01:08 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

You can't use it for bottlenecked calibers.

Actually, you can, but you'd STILL have to lubricate the cases.

Carbide really only works effectively for straight-walled pistol and rifle cases.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 8, 2002, 11:03 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Ed, if you look inside a carbide die, you'll see that the sizing portion is small compared to the length of the die (usually around 1/2" or so). For a steel die, on the other hand, the sizing portion is the entire length of the die in most cases and is finely polished. Therefore, as Mike pointed out, carbide dies can't be used for any bottle necked or tapered cases. I suppose a die could be made of carbide in the same configuration as a steel one, but it would be very expensive. In addition, although carbide is extremely hard it is also brittle and I doubt that a full length die made of it would last nearly as long as a steel die.
Old November 8, 2002, 12:14 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Dillon sells carbide .223, .308, and, I think, .357 SIG sizing dies.
You still have to lube the brass to keep it from sticking. Their main use is in volume reloading and their service life is said to be very long. It better be, they are over a hundred dollars.
Old November 8, 2002, 04:14 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Didn't know Dillon made them. Probably other die makers do also on special order - " ... very expensive."

The longevity of the bearing surface would far surpass that of a steel die, but I have seen carbide dies crack when the least amount of torque was applied in the wrong dimension. That's what I meant by the brittleness making it have a shorter life span. Some folks, including me, have found new and interesting ways to abuse their dies, most often by not correctly centering the case when the ram is lifted. Steel will stand that abuse better than carbide.

Last edited by Mal H; November 8, 2002 at 04:42 PM.
Old November 8, 2002, 04:35 PM   #6
clown714

i have used carbide dies on my xl650 in .223 and .308 for a couple of years now.still work great

no probs yet.still must lube,as mentioned earlier.yes,they are pricey,but should last a lifetime,not to mention the warranty and are about impossible to scratch.

clown
Old November 8, 2002, 09:14 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I had the carbide insert into a Lyman die, IIRC, crack when I dropped it when I was in the reloading room at American Rifleman.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 8, 2002, 10:44 PM   #8
rocko

Unless I'm mistaken, the greatest advantage to carbine dies for bottleneck cartridges is the carbide expander ball. With this, you only have to lube the outside of the case, and not the inside of the neck. As such, you can probably save a few $$$ and buy steel dies and a replacement carbide expander ball... I just use steel dies myself, though. I use a spray on lube, so lubing the inside of the neck really isn't a big deal.

Rocko