The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 20, 2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Mokumbear

Is Brown Bear 5.45 x 39 considered "steel core"...

I posted this before but it somehow got mixed in with another post I did.

I am thinking of getting an AK-74.
Like many ranges, my local range will not allow steel core ammo.

Is Brown Bear 5.45 x 39 considered steel core?

If so, are there some good alternatives?

I don't want to invest in an AK-74 to learn I can't fire it at a range.
Old January 20, 2015, 07:27 PM   #2
kostner

Have magnet and check it out that what they do at a range I use. Afraid of sparks starting fires. And they do and will in dry climate.;
Old January 20, 2015, 08:51 PM   #3
SSGN_Doc

Problem with the magnet test is that it will also stick to jackets that are mild seek or blended metal jackets that have iron in the mix.
Old January 21, 2015, 12:58 PM   #4
seanc

BB is not steel core, whether it's their FMJ, HP or SP. However, they do have a bi-metal jacket that will cause the round to fail most range's test: the magnet test. The bi-metal jacket will be attracted to a magnet. That is true for just about any of the imported commercial 5.45x39.

The only commercially available round for 5.45x39 that does not have ferrous metal in any part of it's projectile is Hornady's 5.45x39 VMAX, which is copper jacketed, lead core, polymer tipped. The case is steel, but the case is not propelled down range at 2,800 ft/sec. You may have to explain that last part s-l-o-w-l-y to your local range trolls .
Old January 21, 2015, 01:02 PM   #5
skizzums

negative. no more steel core x39 or 5.45 is allowed for import. a magnet will still stick to the bi-metal jacket though, just like any tula brand of wolf
Old January 21, 2015, 01:04 PM   #6
rickyrick

Not 5.45x39 but was planning on using a range once, my 5.56/.233 plinking ammo mix met the requirements listed on their website, so I thought I was good to go.... I got there and they checked it... Passed their tests then they looked at the head stamps and disqualified it due to velocity...

I still had to buy their ammo
Old January 21, 2015, 01:10 PM   #7
seanc

Also, you might want to clarify with your local range why they don't want steel core ammo, without busting their balls about it.

If it's simply that they don't want their backstop's destroyed and personal safety issues, you can try to educate them that the steel jackets are mild steel and are not armor piercing, like they would expect with a true "steel core" projectile. I had one range near me that had that same concern and I was able to get by them with Wolf SP rounds. When they saw the rounds were SP, they "knew" they weren't steel core, even though they would have failed their magnet test due to the bi-metal jacket.

If it's a fire threat (as is common in drought areas), none of the commercially imported bi-metal jacketed rounds would be a good idea, and there's nothing to argue there. That's a very real issue.
Old January 21, 2015, 01:17 PM   #8
seanc

skizzums:
Quote:
negative. no more steel core x39 or 5.45 is allowed for import. a magnet will still stick to the bi-metal jacket though, just like any tula brand of wolf
1/2 right: Specifically, 7n6 ammo is no longer importable due to it's mild steel core.

1/2 wrong: 5.45x39 ammo is currently allowed to be imported as long as it does not have a steel core.

Whether it is 7n6 or commercial 5.45x39 ammo, if it's already in the US, it can be sold and used. There is years worth of 7n6 already in the US sitting in warehouses waiting to be sold and waiting on paperwork clearance started years ago, waiting to be sold.
Old January 21, 2015, 01:20 PM   #9
reynolds357

Sean, educating range officials seems like a job for someone with the patience of Job.
Old January 21, 2015, 08:16 PM   #10
Mobuck

Passed their tests then they looked at the head stamps and disqualified it due to velocity..

THAT requires some clarification. How does headstamp apply to velocity? Most factory loads are within accepted velocity ranges.
Old January 21, 2015, 08:21 PM   #11
rickyrick

Well, they said certain head stamps were "military" .... And therefore higher velocity ... Blah blah blah.... I'm sure I had some lake city stuff in the mix
I know it's complete BS... They just wanted to sell ammo... I was from out of town and I wanted to shoot... So I just complied
Old January 21, 2015, 08:46 PM   #12
skizzums

Quote:
skizzums:
Quote:

1/2 right: Specifically, 7n6 ammo is no longer importable due to it's mild steel core.

1/2 wrong: 5.45x39 ammo is currently allowed to be imported as long as it does not have a steel core.

Whether it is 7n6 or commercial 5.45x39 ammo, if it's already in the US, it can be sold and used. There is years worth of 7n6 already in the US sitting in warehouses waiting to be sold and waiting on paperwork clearance started years ago, waiting to be sold
that's is EXACTLY what I said. no more steel core 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 allowed for import.............I don't care if its 7n1 or not, although that's the only steel core 5.45 I know of, it cannt be imported if has a steel core. the only steel core still available for import, I believe, is 7.62x54r

I said NTHING about being able to sell it locally if already in the states, I specifically said IMPORT