The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2010, 01:48 PM   #1
2DaMtns

Rusted Dies

I bought a random lot of reloading supplies off a guy today for a pretty good price. What I was really after was the tumbler and separator he had, but there are also several hundred primers, some bullets, a Lee press, powder measure, scale, and several other useful things. Also included were 3 sets of lee dies and a set of Hornady Custom dies. All of them have varying degrees of rust on them. I think it's mainly surface rust. Is it possible to return these to functioning form, or are cases always going to be getting stuck, marred up, etc.? I can post pics in a little while if it will help.
Old February 23, 2010, 01:58 PM   #2
mrawesome22

Hopefully the insides won't be too bad from the use of case lube. Exterior rust is easily removed. You'd just have to get after polishing them on the inside to find out if they'll work or not.
Old February 23, 2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Lavid2002

Nearly all of my dies have a little surface rust on the outside. Inside is shiny new....Doesnt effect anything...
Old February 23, 2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Outsides rust from salt or acids in fingerprint oils. Some people are called "rusters" because their skin salt or pH levels are high enough to rust all they come in contact with. A toolmaker told me you could tell them in the work environment because all their tools would be brown when everyone else's looked like steel.

As long as the rust isn't inside, you don't need to worry. Lee dies rust on the outside more easily than most because they don't polish them. If there is some surface rust inside and it's not heavily pitted, you probably still don't need to worry about it.

If it bothers you, disassemble the dies and degrease them with Simple Green or Greased Lightening. I recommend those over a petroleum solvent because a petroleum solvent may not address salt residue. Once degreased and rinsed, there are a couple of steps you can try. One is to boil them 15 minutes in distilled water (to avoid water marks). This will convert red rust to black magnetite, as it does in rust bluing, unless deep oil penetration of the rust blocks it. You can then brush much of it off, though it will leave some black spots.

If that doesn't work because of oil deep in the rust or because you don't like the idea of the black marks, try giving them 15 minutes in Evaporust (Harbor Freight carried it last time I looked), a non-toxic chelating preparation that will positively remove the rust, but doesn't leave the surface activated the way the acid rust removers do. After using it, again rinse the parts off. Boiling in distilled water is still good for this as the hot metal tends to form a thin, almost invisible layer of protective blue oxide when it pulled out and flash dries from the heat. Just pull them and shake the excess off fast.

Finally, to prevent recurrance, you'll probably have to polish the outsides. You can use buffing compound on a buffer if you have one or on a wheel on an electric drill if you don't. You can use a Nylon brush in a Dremel tool with the compound to get into knurled checkering on the surface and clean it up. On the inside of the die a felt bob on a drill and some Flitz or MAAS or Gunbrite will polish the surface without removing enough metal to affect dimensions.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 23, 2010, 03:26 PM   #5
PCJim

I live in a very humid climate for most of the year. My Lee dies will start to show some surface rust much more quickly than other brands, if I don't occasionally hit them with some spray gun oil.
Old February 23, 2010, 09:13 PM   #6
rbf420

had some dies end up out side in the snow... dont ask why cuz i have no clue but i just soaked em in winchester clp and then scrubbed it off with a brass brush good as new
Old February 23, 2010, 09:35 PM   #7
kraigwy

Rust on the outside is no problem, if they had any rust on the inside, I'd trash them.

Dies are cheap. Quality dies make quality reloads.

Rusty dies arnt quality dies.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 23, 2010, 09:36 PM   #8
NCMountain

I have my dies in a drawer in the garage and use the silver rectangle silica gel pictured here that protects 3 cubic feet.

Works like a charm to absorb moisture!
Old February 23, 2010, 11:42 PM   #9
schutzen

Surface Rust

Was the tumbler you purchased a vibrating model? If so load it up with fresh media and drop the dies in for the night. It should remove all surface rust. The next check the insides to insure there are no pits.
Old February 24, 2010, 01:36 AM   #10
uncyboo

Quote:
Was the tumbler you purchased a vibrating model? If so load it up with fresh media and drop the dies in for the night. It should remove all surface rust. The next check the insides to insure there are no pits.
+1
Old February 25, 2010, 11:06 PM   #11
2DaMtns

Never thought of that. That is a good idea. I'll have to give that a try.
Old February 25, 2010, 11:08 PM   #12
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I have my dies in a drawer in the garage and use the silver rectangle silica gel pictured here that protects 3 cubic feet.

Works like a charm to absorb moisture!
I do something similar - all of my dies live in an ammo can with one of the silver rectangle desiccants. I also have the cardboard-boxed desiccant from your picture in my large gun safe.