The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2009, 01:36 PM   #1
ratdog

Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit

I recently posted a thread about how I was set on buying a Lee Turret press. I am now having second thoughts and need advice. Here is why I am reconsidering.

1- I want the safest setup and don't mind sacrificing production. I figure one step at a time minimizes mistakes.

2- I won't be reloading large quantities as I don't get to the range much...maybe once a month

3- I will mainly be using it for fired 223 Lake City brass. Since this is the case I will be decapping and sizing before crimp removal so this takes out one of the steps I would use the turret for.

4- I would have the option of using the RCBS die that swags the pocket primer crimp.

These are the main reasons for my choice. Am I on the right track?
Old January 5, 2009, 03:07 PM   #2
rwilson452

Remove the indexing rod and you can use the turret just like a single stage except your not constantly readjusting your dies.

Quote:
Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit
I recently posted a thread about how I was set on buying a Lee Turret press. I am now having second thoughts and need advice. Here is why I am reconsidering.

1- I want the safest setup and don't mind sacrificing production. I figure one step at a time minimizes mistakes.

2- I won't be reloading large quantities as I don't get to the range much...maybe once a month

3- I will mainly be using it for fired 223 Lake City brass. Since this is the case I will be decapping and sizing before crimp removal so this takes out one of the steps I would use the turret for.

4- I would have the option of using the RCBS die that swags the pocket primer crimp.

These are the main reasons for my choice. Am I on the right track?
ratdog is offline Report Post
Old January 5, 2009, 03:28 PM   #3
ratdog

Good point...

I would then add

#5- Low price If I don't use it that much. The Anniversary kit is half the price of the Turret.
Old January 5, 2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Sam06

ratdog, I would go with a Iron press, that's just me. Lee Makes a Cast iron single stage you might want to look at that. Remember you get what you pay for and I would rather have Iron over Aluminum unless I was carrying it on my back all day.
Old January 5, 2009, 04:13 PM   #5
floydster

I have the Lee Classic Cast turret and use it as single stage.
I size and prime 100 rounds
then charge the cases and expand.
then seat the bullets.
It is actually better then using the index rod for the press.
I use loading blocks that way you can inspect the charge before you seat the bullet, it is fast and safe.
I load just pistol on the press.
Floydster
Old January 6, 2009, 07:52 AM   #6
ShootingNut

ratdog

Here is another guy with a Lee Classic Turret setup. AND, I also choose to pull the index rod, and run my reloads in batches. For me, I am more confindent in getting quality reloads, and yet turn out a fair amount of ammo in a few hours.
As others have said, you pickup a turret for each caliber you load, and the Deluxe Carbide 4 Die set. I have 5 all set up with die's adjusted. Two minutes or less, and you can switch calibers with Pro Powder equipment attached.
These guys are great to deal with, any questions Sassy Sue is very helpful,
even called me once from an Island while on vacation!
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41
Best regards,
SN
Old January 6, 2009, 02:31 PM   #7
ForneyRider

Excellent. I use the Lee single stage and RCBS pocket swager.

If you do multiple calibers, the turret is very handy. Else toss the Lee O-ring and get Forster lock rings. Rotating dies will be more repeatable.

Slowest parts of reloading is brass prep and measuring powder charges. Having a powder dropper like the Lee Perfect Powder or other speeds things up. If you are shooting a bolt gun or single shot, neck sizing reduces stretch and therefore requires less brass prep. You only have to swage the pocket once with military brass.

I got rid of my Pro 1000, I just don't reload enough and I wanted more room on my bench. Resale value is pretty good right now.

The Lee kit has a lot of the tools you'll need. I'd also get a trimmer. Lee stuff works for me here too. Lee stuff fits in well with my "recently divorced" budget.

If you ever want to increase your efficiency, a turret or progressive will be handy, but always nice to have a single stage available.
Old January 7, 2009, 01:22 PM   #8
ratdog

Has anyone here ordered this kit from Cabela's? The oicture shows auto primers but the description doesn't list them. Can anyone confirm if they are included. Also what else do I need that's not included in the kit to load military .223 brass?
Old January 7, 2009, 03:23 PM   #9
shalomc.

The new lee anniversary kit at cabelas comes with press , safety powder scale , lee powder messure , a tube of case lube , a press mounted priming device that uses the shell holder on the press and basic assembly instructions (No more lee auto prime in anniversary kits nor any more shell holders like in previous kits , you have to get the challenger press kit to get those items or purchase them seperatly ) ( $10 + more for that kit) .Thats what was in mine when I purchased it from cabelas in november .
will c.
Old January 7, 2009, 03:55 PM   #10
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Look for the Lee anniversary kit with the collet press. This will speed up die changing. Try also to find the kit that has the lee auto prime. I purchased the kit that primes on the press, only because I already had an auto-prime.