The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2012, 07:56 PM   #51
BigJimP

Surely, you don't expect someone like me (on a gun forum )...to tell you when you have enough shotguns....I only have what I need, is what I tell my wife...( and she's way too nice to say "bull".....)..

In Over Unders....
5 Browning Citori XS Skeet models ...all 30" barrels ( 2 in 12ga, 1 in 20ga, 1 in 28ga and 1 in a .410 )...(always good to have a backup).

2 Browning Citori XT Trap models/both 32" barrels..12ga -one with a GraCoil.

4 Browning Citori Lighting models ..all 28" barrels...3 in 12ga, one 20ga

1 Browning BT-100 - single barrel Trap gun ..34"...12ga...

In semi-autos...
a Pair ...of Benelli Super Sport models...30" 12ga / 28" 20ga...

In pump guns....
a Pair of Browning BPS pumps ...28" 12ga and 20ga....

and a bolt action WesternField - 3 shot ...16ga ....
--------------------------------------
so I guess its 17 ...unless I'm forgetting something...
( and I visit my local, used gun store, at least twice a month .....just in case he has something I can't live without.....)

I know I'm a little light on both 28ga and .410's.....
Old November 19, 2012, 08:12 PM   #52
Virginian

The biggest enemy of any autoloader is the nut on the back of the stock.
I went to a statewide trapshoot, and a guy with a jacket full of scare patches was bitching about his new 1100. Turned out the gas piston and piston seal were installed backwards - and he was insulted when I suggested he look at that. I have been shooting 1100s and 11-87s for 49 years on the 1100s, and have never blown one 'O' ring. I worked on and sold guns for 25 years, and I never saw one I couldn't get working except one with a cracked receiver - and drilled out gas ports. The 'O' ring does not move in operation and 99.999% of them fall victim to ham handed cleaning and disassembly. My 1963 1100 still has the first elastomer 'O' ring I installed about 1967 to replace the metal 'V' ring so I wouldn't lose it. My test may outlive me. The gas system does not run as clean as some, but I have never found any round, including some nasty old Blue Dot magnums, that it couldn't handle for 200 rounds. I didn't press for more because I never, ever shoot that many nasty loads at one time.
If you like anything else better, that's fine, but don't tell me how unreliable an 1100/11-87 is. Go to a 3 gun match and see 30 year old 1100s running right along with new Benellis costing many hundreds more. 11-87s will not always cycle light loads, but Remington designed them to go down to 1-1/8 ounce field loads, not the mouse fart stuff.
I like 1100s/11-87s better than anything else, other than some SxSs, I have seen in the intervening 49 years, and I have owned and shot a boatload of shotguns, but I am a realist, and I do not contend they are the answer for everyone. Not even close. The Berettas are nice gas guns and if you like the feel better you are in good company. If you don't like to do a quick 5 minute spray and wipe cleaning after you shoot one round or 500, I don't think they are the gun for you. If they don't fit you, they are probably not for you because you can just tweak the fit a little. If the weight with the steel receiver seems heavy to you, you are out of luck. If you like light weight, simple design, and no cleaning, with the right loads a Benelli will make you happy, as long as you like recoil or two piece stocks. There are in fact lots of choices, and without interference from the aforementioned nut on the back of the stock, most of them work fine.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:52 PM   #53
rcase1234

Thank you for another great reply Virginian. Man, I don't know what to do anymore! I may just end up trying my luck with an 1187. I really need to go to my LGS and see how I like the feel and fit on each of these guns. After that I will make sure to get back with everyone. Thinking about puting a gun in layaway in the near future if I find one I like. Again, a big thanks to everyone with there opinions and all the help.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:01 PM   #54
Fishbed77

Quote:
the Remington rep acknowledged that the 1187 had its problems. He did not try to sell my brother on an 1187. Instead he focused on Remington's new autoloader the Versa Max, a gun which even my 12 year old nephew found easy to shoot and which both my nephew and brother liked.
No big surprise that he tried to push the VersaMax. It's a more expensive gun.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:38 PM   #55
rcase1234

Anybody know anything more about the Franchi Affinity? I'm looking at it more seriously now and I'm thinking about buying one
Old November 21, 2012, 04:23 PM   #56
BigJimP

One of our buddies on here...Slugo ....gave a good review on the gun / and I trust his perspective.

In general, I think its fair that the Franchi products - will get a very mixed review. I'm most familiar with their O/U's and I don't find them very impressive...in fact I think marginal is being kind.

I see a few of the Franchi semi-autos at my club ...and I don't recall anyone having any significant issues with them.
Old November 21, 2012, 06:03 PM   #57
rcase1234

Yeah I now realize that every gun will have its problem whether minor or major. I may go ahead and buy one or I may not. At this point I am more uncertain about an Autoloader than I ever have been. It's between a beretta, remington, or franchi. I really gotta check them out at my LGS
Old November 21, 2012, 06:21 PM   #58
BigJimP

Not every shotgun will have issues....

In terms of semi-autos ---its pretty reasonable to say Browning-Winchester, Beretta and Benelli --- have very few, if any, issues.( I've had no issues with either one of my Benelli super sport models -that I shoot / conservatively each of my Benelli's have well over 25,000 shells thru them - and they're about 10 yrs old or so ...).

In Over Unders...its pretty reasonable to say that Browning and Beretta have very few, if any, issues as well. ( I've had no issues with any of my roughly 14 or so Browning Citori O/U's ) that I currently shoot a lot - some of my primary guns have well over 500,000 shells thru them...

Pump guns...very few,if any, issues with most Browning or Benelli's ---very few issues, except on the lower end express models with Remington 870s'...( I've had no issues with either one of my BPS models ) and I know both of my pump guns have well over 100,000 shells thru them...

and most of my shotguns are at least 10 yrs old...some way more...

so problems aren't inherent in all shotguns...
---------------
I don't know if you'll have an issue with Franchi semi-autos or not...I know they're attractive in terms of a lower price point than many other options.../ but I won't ever tell you not to look at Beretta or Browning - Winchester in terms of gas guns - they will cost you a little more --- but if the Franchi makes you nervous, look over the offerings from both Beretta and Browning-Winchester....or the inertia offerings from Benelli.

You might talk to the guys at your local club ...there are a lot of pretty good used guns out there as well ....to minimize your risk a little.../ but don't get stressed out over this -or you'll take all the fun out of it.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:08 PM   #59
.300 Weatherby Mag

BigJim, No Belgians???????
Old November 21, 2012, 07:23 PM   #60
BigJimP

nope, not a one my friend....
Old November 21, 2012, 07:49 PM   #61
rcase1234

Thanks big Jim. I've found some used Benelli M1 and SBE's at my LGS for about $800 or less. And an M2 for $900. Would these be good deals? I'm afraid of getting an older benelli no longer in production in case I need parts. Have you ever used the "wal Mart beretta" big Jim? Heard some good things from them.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:26 PM   #62
Virginian

Well, I don't like any O/Us but a little Beretta scaled 28 I tried, but I have seen more than one report of Browning O/Us having stock cracking issues, and certain Beretta autos have had lots of carrier issues, and let us not forget the infamous Browning salt wood fiasco. I have nothing bad to say about a BPS other than I don't like having to load thru the magazine for a 4th shot, but I had 3 that never hiccuped once. And nothing bad to say about a Wingmaster, on any score. Model 12s and Ithaca 37s are the holy grail for those who swoon over hand fitted machined parts, but they need those close tolerances to operate, and cost more to make, and I have seen more at the gun doctor's, and that is why Remington and Browning ran them both out of the marketplace - 3 times and counting with the Ithaca. I have yet to see any inertia actioned or long recoil actioned gun I liked, but there are plenty of seasoned shooters who love both.
I would concentrate on getting a good name brand gun that feels good to you. The odds are you will be fine. If you do have any issues, with a new gun do not try kitchen table gunsmithing. Call the manufacturer yourself.
Good luck.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:15 PM   #63
Noreaster

You need to look at the options for each gun and compare it to your needs. It's been awhile since I used semi autos but I always had better luck with the 11-87 then the 1100s. I've heard good things about the new Winchester semi.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:55 PM   #64
rcase1234

Virginian that sounds like good advice! Just look for name brands and see what feels best. I'll have to make a trip to the LGS soon. Once again, thanks everybody!
Old November 22, 2012, 01:08 PM   #65
BigJimP

Used gun prices vary too much by region of the country ...and condition is everything on a used gun....I can't tell if you have some good deals there or not.

I'm not saying Browning, Beretta or Benelli are immune from issues.../ but take a look around the clay target fields...and talk to guys that put 8 boxes or more a week thru their guns (considered moderate use by a lot of clay target shooters) or 10,000 shells a yr ...and you'll see a lot of Browning and Berettas and those guys aren't going to fuss with a gun that won't hold up to even that moderate use for 5+ yrs. All of the guns I'm recommending will easily meet or vastly exceed that usage - with little, if any, problems based on my own experience - and many of my buddies.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:46 PM   #66
rcase1234

Headed to LGS to check out some berettas, Remington's, and Benellis today! Thanks again Big Jim
Old November 23, 2012, 05:46 PM   #67
rcase1234

Really liked the Benelli Montefeltro, Benelli M2 American, Beretta A300 Outlander, and the Rem 1187. Didn't have a Franchi or 1100 so I'm gonna head to a different store in the near future. The gun that really stood out was the Montefeltro. Really liked it.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:16 PM   #68
BigJimP

good to hear you're making some progress..
Old November 25, 2012, 05:48 PM   #69
rcase1234

I've come to my conclusion. I plan on getting a Remington 1100 this winter when the right deal and right model becomes available. I kept coming back to the 1100 all the time and Everytime another gun would come in mind the 1100 was always in the back of my mind. This gun will mainly be used for clays since I duck hunt only a few times a year. I may even get the steel shot barrel to shoot some 3" steel shells or just use 2.75" steel for waterfowl. Well thank you everybody for all your help especially Big Jim, Virginian, and a few others. I will most likely get a Sporting 12 or TUF (gander mountain 1100). But again, I REALLY appreciate everyone's help and I plan on getting a 3" or 3.5" Autoloader eventually. Just right now the 1100 is what I really want and began my research for autoloaders. It fits perfect and its what I killed my first deer with so I am familiar with it. Thank you everybody!!! Gotta love TFL forums
Old November 26, 2012, 02:47 PM   #70
BigJimP

We're happy to help -- where we can...
Old November 28, 2012, 11:06 PM   #71
boattale

I have an 1100 that my mother gave me on my 21st birthday (that was in 1973) and it's been a dandy. I later bought an 11-87 and sold it five years later because neither I nor Remington could make it go bang every time the trigger was pulled (actually it would fail to cycle a new round into battery about twice per box of 25). The M-1 Super 90 that replaced the 11-87 has never failed to function.

If you're set on a Remington, I'd say 1100.