The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 5, 2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Polglock

Para gi expert stainless

I just bought a para gi expert stainless. Even though all the reports have been mixed on para , I really liked the look and feel also price of it. Well 200 rounds later of ppu 45 and all reliable. It seems like a really nice 1911 especially for the price. My fist group of shots and all 8 shots were touching and I was sold. I'm very happy with it so far. I would like to hear good reports from others who also have experience with one. Just thought I would post the good I've had so far with para because it seems like I've heard nothing but the bad.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:41 PM   #2
bird_dog

I have the GI Expert, though not in stainless.

I think it's a great gun. As I've posted in other threads, I am still breaking the gun in but am enjoying it so far. Its only hiccups were with the factory mags. Several failures to return to battery, sometimes multiples on one magazine. After picking up two Kimber mags (all I could find at my LGS that day) the failures disappeared. Switched back to the Para mags, and had more problems....still thinking about calling them....

It's accurate, well made, looks good, and is a lot of fun to shoot. As many of the reviews I read said, it's not truly a GI model because of its many upgrades, but it is a very good gun in its own right.

Hope you enjoy yours.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Polglock

Are the mags you have blued? I've read the newer blued mags are "fixed" as far as the problems. just thought I'd share that with you.
Old December 5, 2012, 02:36 PM   #4
chrisp51

I also have the stainless GI expert and had problems with what I thought were the mags causing it not to go back into battery. It turned out that the slide stop (MIM part) was causing the issue. A couple of strokes with a file and everything works fine. It is one of the guns I always take to the range. For the price it is amazingly accurate.
Old December 5, 2012, 11:27 PM   #5
pjp74

I used to have a Para GI Expert, blued, loved it. I really hate that I sold it because it was always a super reliable pistol, the only failure I ever had with it was from limp wtisting with it. Hope you enjoy it.
Old December 6, 2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Lead shooter

I had one awhile back, got it in trade. Traded it fast. It was so poorly made that it made a PT1911 look like a custom hand made pistol. (Not to knock the PT1911, great pistols) Must have just been mine.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Bamashooter

Mine is a fine shooting handgun. Its been 100% reliable so far and more accurate than I am. For the price I think they are very good guns.

Haters gonna hate.