The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
sthrnfryedyankee

Some questions about an older Rem 870 wingmaster

I have an old wingmaster from the 70's that is rated for 2 3/4" shells. Does that include modern day 2 3/4" high brass shotgun slugs with the appropriate rifled barrel? I have 2 870's a new model and the old 870 wingmaster, If I sighted my slugger with the newer 870 and the wingmaster WILL accept modern day 2 3/4" slugs if I were to switch barrels would that effect my accuracy and scope that has been sighted in from 1 shotgun action to the other? Someone made mention of possibly using an ejector for a 3" shell if the barrel is rated for 2 3/4-3" shells can this be done on the older action. Is the body that houses the firing pin on the older wingmaster made of steel and could it handle a 3" shell SAFELY?

The last 4 digits of serial# on the older 870 ends with 971v
Old October 22, 2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Your classic 870 will do fine for new 2 3/4" slugs or any other 2 3/4" load.

To shoot 3" loads, or the 3 1/2" nosebleed specials, you need for both the barrel and receiver to be capable of that.

The longer lengths have the ejector in a different place to work with the longer shells.

While a 2 3/4" receiver can be adapted to the longer loads,it's a gunsmith job that will not be much cheaper than buying a used Express so chambered. And the receiver will need a refinish.

My advice, cherish your fine shotgun and use something else for water fowling and turkey.

HTH....
Old October 22, 2009, 08:54 PM   #3
sthrnfryedyankee

Excellent thank you