The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 19, 2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Levers

Just did the Dicks Mossberg deal

Just bought the Dick's Mossberg 500 combo deal. Went with a 20 ga as the wife wants to shoot it and she is 12ga challenged. 13 7/8" LOP may need to take 1" off the stock to fit her, but thats no big deal. I can shoot comfortably with 13" LOP. Nice weight 20ga about 6 3/4 pounds you could carry it all day hunting.

Mossberg 500 - 20 ga
26" field barrel with 3 chokes
24" cantilevered rifled deer barrel with 2X scope

$269+$21(tx) = $290 out the door

Plus found out when I went that Mossberg has a $20 rebate !!

Net cost with tax $269.00

Didn't want the deer barrel for my own use but one of the girls wants to deer hunt with it so it turned out to be a good deal I think.

Got it home and tore down, cleaned and shot a couple of shells to test it out. Nice smooth action which I was worried about as some have said they are rough especially when new.

The 12ga was the same deal.

I am going to call Mossberg to see if I can get a 18 1/2" HD barrel in 20ga.

Have a Trius step clay thrower coming this week so it will get a work out this week-end for sure.

Happy Camper
Old October 19, 2009, 05:39 PM   #2
musicmatty

Congrats...Sounds like the deal of the day for sure..yeah, I can see why you are a Happy Camper.
Old October 19, 2009, 05:49 PM   #3
CajunBass

Congratulations. Good choice.

I've got a Sears/Mossberg 12 ga combo that I got about 30 years ago. Still runs like a watch. This spring I got a 20 ga version of the same gun, just no slug barrel.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 19, 2009, 08:24 PM   #4
minniedog2

I have two 500s and they have performed as well as any shotgun that I have owned. Great to hunt with not as pretty as some of the other but it is bad to get a fence in to a $1000+ shotgun