The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 19, 2012, 08:58 AM   #1
stevej

Any good vids on proper pistol grip

My shooting freehand is pitiful, need some good videos on the right way to hold it, have a SR9c I need to learn to shoot. New to handguns as you can tell. Always just been a fisherman but seems like every day there are drive-by shooting, parking lot hold-ups etc. so thought I needed to get a car and nightstand gun.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Sparks1957

This might be useful to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on2ik...eature=related
Old November 19, 2012, 11:15 AM   #3
pax

It takes about 300 repetitions to build in a habitual response ("muscle memory").

It takes about 3000 repetitions to erase a previously-learned bad habit.

Ten TIMES as much energy and ammo, just to get back to zero...!

For this reason, I strongly suggest starting with a class from a qualified professional instructor. Starting out right will save you a lot of money in the long run.

pax
Old November 19, 2012, 11:31 AM   #4
nate45

Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting.
Old November 19, 2012, 01:16 PM   #5
TheRaskalKing

+1 on the Todd Jarrett vid. It was recommended to me when I got serious about pistol shooting a year ago, and really changed my shooting. Pay particular attention to what he says about consistency and your grip "wrapping" all the way around the gun.

Also take a minute to read this article ---> http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/2...ombatg_100306/ from G&A. I know you asked for videos, but there's pictures in this one and IMHO it really is worth the read- particularly the "straight thumbs" method.
Old November 19, 2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

I second pax on getting some professional instruction. There is no good substitute for the in-person help and feedback of a qualified instructor.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 19, 2012, 02:39 PM   #7
OldMarksman
Staff

Investing in good instruction first will reduce the chance of learning bad habits that will have to be unlearned.

I speak from experience--the wrong kind of experience.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Sheriff Gotcha

I learned from this video.. Hopefully it's not a bad habit that I learned, but it seemed to make sense to me so I went with it.

Travis Haley Pistol Grip
Old November 19, 2012, 07:41 PM   #9
fourrobert13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSjLQ...1&feature=plcp
Old November 20, 2012, 01:25 AM   #10
comn-cents

Best video that I've ever seen & that works, I've tried any and all different suggestions and Gomez knows what he his talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOslIIfggk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZfgutNufU
Old November 20, 2012, 02:52 PM   #11
dawg23

I don't think you'll see any appreciable differences between what Gomez taught and what Travis Haley is teaching. (Gomez did a little better job of illustrating how the support hand is used to "fill in the gap").

This is common to all those who teach the Modern Isosceles grip//stance (realizing that there are a few minor variations). Andy Stanford, Massad Ayoob, James Yeager, Clint Smith & Jerry Miculek are just a few of the instructors under whom I have trained.

Andy & Yeager taught the M/I platform in the classes I took -- and Gomez was a fellow student in those (and many other) classes.

In my three-day Pistol class with Clint Smith, and in my two-days of one-on-one instruction from Jerry Miculek, neither suggested even a minor modification of my grip//stance. I'm not suggesting that I'm any sort of great shooter or gun expert -- just saying that two of the world's top gurus approved of what I had been taught (and have been using for years.)
Old November 20, 2012, 03:57 PM   #12
pax

Mas Ayoob teaches a different grip -- one with the thumbs curled down, which one of the videos above refers to as a way to grip revolvers. The strengths of this variation include that you do not have to alter your grip when changing from shooting with two hands to shooting with one; that it is more secure for gun retention in close quarters struggles; that it tends to mitigate the effects of jerking the trigger; and that it prevents milking.

pax
Old November 20, 2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Nnobby45

Yep, Ayoob thumbs down. Farnum thumbs up. Two excellent instructors. Some teach iscosceles, some a variation of Weaver, and some recognize the value in teaching both for different situations.

No video teaches you the "right one". Just a method that someone prefers because it workds well for them.

I once switched to Ayoob's method with tight grip and thumbs down. Worked well. John Farnum "corrected" that, and it was thumbs up in his class. I've just stayed with thumbs up. One of the values in learning different methods from various instructors is that you can choose what works best for you. If more than one method works, you make your choice.

Last edited by Nnobby45; November 20, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:28 PM   #14
mete

Absolutely correct. The gun and handling it have to be right for YOU no one else !! I started out with isosceles which for me was faster and more accurate. Now with a permanent elbow injury it's a isosceles/weaver mix !
One advantage we have is that more and more guns have interchangeable grip pieces to better fit your hand !! The fit should be so that you can close your eyes raise the pistol and you should be close to right on. Get instruction but not one who says THIS is the right way .Everyone is different .Find what's right for YOU.
Old November 24, 2012, 02:36 AM   #15
johnwilliamson062

Under Siege one and two...

JK.

I like the Ayoob videos myself.