The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 27, 2006, 01:13 AM   #1
chadwick76

Confederate Civil War Rifle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I just recently joined the club.. I told my father about this forum and he then handed me a very old gun and said, "find out how much it's worth, or at least find some info on it", so here I am. I don't know very much about it except for a few markings. It's obviousley a muzzleloader, and in pretty good condition. Behind the hammer its stamped Harper's Ferry 185? not sure if 1853 or 1859. In front of hammer it's stamped u.s. with an eagle above the u.s. mark. On the left side it's got got stamped on stock C.S. (I assume confederate states). A little fartheer down the left side of stock it agained marked C S along with ART. I have searched through FLAYDERMAN'S all night and still have no clue. I would appreciate any direction anyone can send me. Thanks again.

chadwick76
keep on shooting!
Old June 27, 2006, 08:30 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Without referencing any books, CS may only be the inspector's marks. This doesn't mean that it wasn't captured by the Confederates and used by them. More likely than not though, the gun was brought home by the soldier who carried it (government charged $10 to a soldier to keep their gun & accoutrements). Value for a Harper's Ferry 1855 Rifle Musket in good condition hovers around $850-1200 and up, depending on numerous factors that can't be determined without photographs (by experts).
Old July 1, 2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Griswold

Re: Confeferate Civil War Rifle

Chadwick - That last digit can make a world of difference. If it's pre-1855, it may well be an 1842 .69 cal. smoothbore musket, or the variation of it that they later called back, rifled out, and fitted w/an improved rear sight. Does it have 3 bbl. bands? If everything is steel, It's probably all US construction. Brass pieces, usually buttplate and stocktip, can suggest Confederate construction, post 1862, when Stonewall Jackson raided the Armory at Harper's ferry. If the lockplate sez 1855 or later, it'll be a .58 cal "Minie" rifle, as 4V50 Gary suggests. In either case, beware of markings on the wood as "true" indicators of Confederate manufacture. CS association, perhaps, (with strong supporting documentation), but if it's merely got stuff carved into it, I'd reserve judgement. One other thing - make sure it's empty. It may be old, but it just might still work - Griswold
Old July 1, 2006, 10:11 PM   #4
Griswold

Does it have a patch-box?

Last edited by Griswold; July 1, 2006 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Duplicates above post
Old July 2, 2006, 02:03 AM   #5
chadwick76

Griswald, no patchbox, why? Does this mean pre 1852?
Old July 3, 2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Griswold

No patchbox?

A patchbox was employed on some of the shorter (2 -band) carbines that "the Ferry" produced in the 1850's. It was just one of the ID questions I didn't get into my previous post.

Griswold
Old July 8, 2006, 08:01 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think we need more details, including caliber, barrel length, presence or absence of a patch box, presence of a round hole in the lockplate ahead of the hammer (with or without a cover), etc.

The "CS" may be a confederate mark, but has been faked so often that most folks are skeptical.

Jim