The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 21, 2015, 08:59 AM   #1
Evan Thomas

The New "Where is everything?" thread (3.0) -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc...

This thread is a continuation of the previous "Quarterly "Where is Everything ..." thread." It's time to renew it, so the thread doesn't become impossibly long and unwieldy. These threads will be renewed now and then until the need for them no longer exists. The previous thread is still here, and the original may be linked from that thread.

Please read Mike Irwin's comments from the previous thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin
With the latest run on firearms, magazines, ammunition, reloading supplies, and other shooting accoutrements, there has been a corresponding rise in the number of "WHERE IS EVERYTHING?" threads.

This thread will hopefully do two things:

1. It will give everyone a place to discuss the low stock and high prices we are currently seeing in the firearms world.

2. It will hopefully give everyone a central place where they can report finding supplies (locally or otherwise).

What this thread will NOT be, however, (and I can't stress that strongly enough) is a thread for expounding:

pet conspiracy theories about how the government is buying up all of the ammo to keep it out of the public's hands.
how manufacturers are creating a false shortage designed to drive prices up.
complaints about how this company or that store is gouging.

Posts along those lines will be deleted and the poster may receive either a warning or a sanction.

We know that threads will still be started in other forums. At the discretion of the moderators for those forums, threads may be moved to this one. If you feel a thread or post should be moved here, but it's in a now-closed thread elsewhere at TFL, please contact your friendly neighborhood mod.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; May 22, 2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:03 PM   #2
Machineguntony

You can find tons of small pistol primers at powder valley. They have lots of Sellier and Bellot primers, which are cheap, but good. $22/1000.
Old May 23, 2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Machineguntony

If anyone knows about or finds deals on .308 FMJ projectiles, can you please post here.

I last purchased a large order of 308 blemished bullets from midway, and now I am almost out. Accuracy is not a concern.

I wish they had more.
Old May 23, 2015, 01:47 PM   #4
rtpzwms

This may help you.

https://www.americanreloading.com/en...-rifle-bullets
Old May 23, 2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Machineguntony

Thanks RTPZWMS. However, I guess I should specify that I'm looking for ugly bullets that are on discount. I don't need pretty or accurate bullets. I'm just looking to feed a couple of belt feds that eat ammo and whose definition of accuracy is a cone of fire, not MOA.
Old May 24, 2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Ballenxj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpzwms
This may help you.
Thanks for the link.
Old May 24, 2015, 05:48 PM   #7
psalm7

The Sportsmans Guide is carrying some reloading now and advertises bulk bullets in .308 and .223 .
Old June 24, 2015, 07:58 AM   #8
rtpzwms

22 sighting. Our local Sheels now has shelves full of 22. It looks like days of yore. The shelve have been stocked for almost 2 weeks now. They even raised the limit from 1000 to 2000 per day per person. I'm back to pre shortage stock levels!
Old June 30, 2015, 06:45 PM   #9
globemaster3

.22LR sighting in Dicks Sporting Goods in Columbia, MO today! They had a full shelf of Winchester 555 and 333 for $.05/round, limit 1 box per person.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old July 1, 2015, 10:20 PM   #10
dakota.potts

In the past two days, I have bought .223, 7.62x39, and .22. I have also seen in stock just about every other caliber, including lots of 9mm. I got 100 rounds of Federal .223 for $40 at Walmart, and then at Academy I got 2 boxes of Aguila Standard .22 (they still have their limits) and some zinc-plated steel cased 7.62X39mm.

I'm not seeing anything except hunting calibers, shotgun ammo and maybe 9mm in abundance, but it's the first step to bursting the bubble and bringing us back to god prices and availability.
Old July 2, 2015, 07:38 AM   #11
SamNavy

Dicks at Town Center in VaBch has had a ton a ton of .22lr for the past few weeks. I've managed to buy 2000rds of Fed AutoMatch in the past few weeks. I swing by on the way home from work and grab a box.

They have had CCI AR, CCI MiniMags, Federal AE, and at least two other brands I can't remember. 1 bulk pack or 3 regular packs per customer. I'm getting my oil changed down the street right now and will swing by after... will report current stock.

EDIT:
One box left of 325ct Fed Automatch ($19.99) limit1
About 5x 300ct of CCI AR ($27.99) limit1
30+ 50ct boxes of CCI Quiet ($4.99) limit3
Tons of Fed AE 50ct ($2.79) limit3

The Quiets are new inventory as of yesterday, and the salesguy says they're getting regular shipments of a few bricks of "something" a couple times a week. Also that he doesn't see any "rush" on anything except Mini-Mags... most of the stuff they have has been there for weeks. Suits me fine dropping by a few times a wee and stocking up while I can... I've got a 7yr old and 5yr old who will soon want to shoot every round of .22lr I can scavenge, and .06cents is an easy call.

Last edited by SamNavy; July 2, 2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old July 10, 2015, 01:57 PM   #12
SamNavy

Just swung by Dicks @Town Center...
5x 555ct Winchester HP's: ($30) limit1 BOUGHT ONE
3x CCI AR 300ct: ($27) limit1
20+ 50ct boxes of CCI Quiet ($4.99) limit3
Dozens of Fed AE 50ct ($2.79) limit3

I'll swing by tomorrow and Sunday too... hopefully can scoop up a few more of the 555's... 1665ct for around $97 after tax= 5.8cents per round.
Old July 26, 2015, 06:33 PM   #13
oldcabin

Anyone seen crimp end federal 22lr shot shells?? They feed well in my bolt Marlin. I'm almost out. Thanks.
Old August 14, 2015, 11:25 AM   #14
Mosin-Marauder

Walmarts in NC seem to have lowered the price of American Eagle AR .223 to semi-sane levels instead of the recent $8.97 price. Right now it is $7.44 per 20 round box, so its a lot better than what it used to be. After tax it's about .39 a round, which isn't great but it's better.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 14, 2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Sevens

Cabela's has offered the S&B primers very recently on sale at just $20/1000! I elected to give them a twirl at that low price so I picked up 4,000 and split them with a buddy. (available was both s/l pistol and s/l rifle)

However, I visited a different Cabela's on Tuesday and the price was $25/1000.

Powder is still spotty in my circles. Some rifle powder is appearing and slow burning magnum pistol is available, but the real fast burning powders seem to appear only in single pound cans.
Old September 16, 2015, 05:38 PM   #16
Mike38

I recently had a long talk with a manager at my local WalMart about .22LR ammo. It's been two years since I've seen a box there. She told me that their weekly shipment of ammo comes in on Saturdays, late afternoon, and gets put in the display case at 6:00am Sunday morning. She also said that 6 or 7 guys, always the same 6 or 7 guys, are standing at the ammo case at 5:00am every Sunday morning waiting. The .22LR never makes it to the case, it's bought up instantly by the same 6 or 7 guys, week after week. So, being in need of some .22LR I decided to play their game this past Sunday, and arrived at WalMart at 5:00am sharp. I happened to be 3rd in line, so figured I'd at least get something. All they had was 9 boxes of 525 count Remington Golden Bullets. Limit per customer was 3 boxes. I got the last there. Needless to say, the "Good Ol Boys" behind me were not happy. I was called everything but a white man quietly under their breath. But hey, I'm not hording. I'm not reselling like they do, I'm shooting the stuff and was about out. Befriend a WalMart Manager, slip into the conversation about .22LR ammo. You may just get a little tip on when to buy some. Good luck!

Edit: The price was great compared to some I've seen. $27.95 per box of 525.

Last edited by Mike38; September 16, 2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old September 16, 2015, 08:53 PM   #17
4runnerman

Moorhead/Mn and Fargo/ND. The local Scheels in fargo here is starting to fill the shelves finally. There are still a few powders that have not made it back, but Bullets, Primers ( except Federal ) and brass is coming on strong again.
Best I have seen it in maybe a year or so. the 22LR are there by the box fulls, but at the prices they want I will pass. I have about 14,000 on hand already from 5 or 6 years ago still.

Was in Cabelas in East Grand Forks here last week. Lots of 22 LR there too.
Old September 16, 2015, 09:00 PM   #18
Doyle

If you need reloading supplies (powder, shot, primers) and you live in Mississippi then shoot me a PM and I'll give you info about a "traveling reloading supply vendor" that works this state. His home base is down on the coast but he travels frequently to other parts of the state mainly resupplying large skeet/trap clubs.
Old October 8, 2015, 11:28 PM   #19
monkey95

More out there

Picked up 8 50rd boxes of .22lr (american eagle) at academy(4 box per person) for $2.19/bx, plus a box of 12g slugs for $7, also bought 100 rounds of 9mm and 45 wwb for $12.95 and $20.95 and 100 of 5.56 (independence)for $7.95/bx at a local gun show...

Ft worth and Arlington, Texas area

I need to learn how to reload
Old October 22, 2015, 07:38 AM   #20
jasmith85

It probably will not last long but Cabelas.com currently has Remington Bucket 'O Bullets as well as 500 round boxes of 22lr in stock. The prices are higher than they used to be, but still well under 10 cents a round.
Old November 9, 2015, 06:59 AM   #21
Ted D

Went to my local gun store and there it was the empty shelves of powder and primers was full again. I was in shock. There coming back. In Dayton,Oh.
Old November 30, 2015, 03:52 PM   #22
globemaster3

Right after posting in another thread how in the last year I had only found .22LR at reasonable prices locally twice, I scored paydirt yesterday on a trip to Kansas City!

At the Academy Sports in Overland Park, KS, I went in around 10:30AM and they not only had a good stock of American Eagle 500 round bricks, but also 100 round Remington Golden Bullets and several selections of match ammo, all for reasonable prices. Then while I was standing there in amazement, they brought out the 1,400 round buckets of Remington Golden Bullets at 4.9 cents a round! Took one of those home!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old February 25, 2016, 02:30 PM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

A necro thread but just for grins.

I stopped at Cabelas on I-35 near Austin while on the road. Tons of 22 LR of different sorts. All kinds of everything else.