The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 22, 2015, 04:03 PM   #1
abowlieb

CCW and Cops, how did it go for you?

There will come a point amd time when you will have to interact with cos while armed. What happened and how did you deal with the situation? How did the cops act towards you?

My 2 times where while driving. One was for. Tail light being out and the other was because I pulled over in a school zone to find my sons bottle he dropped while in his car seat.

Anyway, I never verbalize to a cop I have a fire arm. I normally just hand them my CCP along with my license to the officer and place both hands on the wheel. Both times the officers asked where my weapon was located. I would tell them and both times they said ok just leave it there.

They would run my info and thank me for telling them about the forearm. Me and one cop even started up a 30min convo abouy gus. Our likes and dislikes and so forth.

Overall it was friendly interaction.
Old April 22, 2015, 04:20 PM   #2
peggysue

Just got a speeding ticket and I told the officer the same. Asked for my ID's and left it at that. Couple years ago had it happen and the officer asked for the firearm so they could check it,,,, maybe it is on the data base? Was the same COP derringer.
Old April 22, 2015, 04:27 PM   #3
old bear

Cops and C/C.

I always wanted/hopped anyone I had an interaction with, on the job, would let me know they were carrying. A quick check to assure myself they had the required permit. Then advising them it was not NECESSARY to show me their firearm. I.e. keep your hands off away from it; we would finish our business and go our own way.
Old April 22, 2015, 04:58 PM   #4
AK103K

I have never said I was armed. If Im not doing anything wrong, its none of their business really. Never had any problems, and nothing was ever said, so Im guessing I was doing my part right.

My former job had us working with a number of local township governments, which included the police, and again, I never said a word, even when standing in the chiefs office talking with him.

Unless its a requirement for a traffic stop, I dont see the point in bringing it up, unless they ask you directly.
Old April 22, 2015, 04:59 PM   #5
Banger357

I've had a few encounters, all for getting pulled over for speeding. I just say something along the lines of "My LCCP is in my wallet with my driver license and I am carrying in (*small of back, ankle holster, whatever*)". Never had an issue. Actually, never even got a ticket when I've told them that... most cops around here seem to like you more if you're carrying. Unless it is the city PD, in which case you'd probably get the Rodney King treatment.
Old April 22, 2015, 05:03 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

I've had 3 "official" contacts with the police while carrying. (I say "official," because I work with lots of police in my job.) The first two were times when my parents' alarm went off at their house while they were out of town. I put my DL and CHCL in my shirt pocket so I could have them in hand when I rolled up without having to reach anywhere near my pistol. I walked up, handed them my DL and CHCL and said something like, "My name is Spats McGee, my parents own this house and yes, I'm carrying a pistol. Let me turn off that alarm for you." Both times, the officers were pretty nonchalant about it. I think the loquacious one said, "OK."

The third time I was stopped for having a tail light out. I handed the officer my documents, DL, CHCL, etc., and before I could even tell him that I was carrying (I live in a shall inform state), he asked if I was. I told him that I was and he went about the business of writing me a warning. Not much of a reaction at all.

Several of the officers I work with tell me that they just tell CHCL holders, "I'll make you a deal. You keep your gun holstered, and I will, too."

Last edited by Spats McGee; April 22, 2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old April 22, 2015, 06:59 PM   #7
abowlieb

I like to tell them just to be on the safe side. Dont want a rookie getting all hyped up cause he some how sees my pistol or a speed loader, dont need him getting all worked up, waving a gun in my face for not saying something. Plus it seems they kinda let you slide by for whatever it was they pulled you over for.
Old April 22, 2015, 07:28 PM   #8
Microgunner

I was stopped outside a Home Depot after someone noticed I was carrying.
Cop checked my credentials and sent me on my way.
All very civil and polite.
Old April 22, 2015, 07:46 PM   #9
TXAZ

Not a cop but work with lots of them, and have asked many about concealed.
In many states, they know you have a CHL when they run your DL. (And I believe a few vehicle plates)
Most I've talked to say they generally give a CHL holder a break 'because they're a known good guy' from the background check.
On the flip side, do something really unfortunate (DUI, etc) and it may hurt you more, as a drunk with a gun is much more serious than just a drunk.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 22, 2015, 07:50 PM   #10
FITASC

Never said a thing, and he never asked. Where I live, it is not tied to the DL database.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 22, 2015, 08:15 PM   #11
dahermit

State laws differ. Here in Michigan CCW holders must inform the police officer that they are a CCW permit holder and that they are carrying when pulled over. Not doing so, will result in the loss of one's CCW permit if found out. During the three times I have been pulled over in the last 12 years or so, one asked where the gun was, two never commented. All were mater-of-fact, did not indicate it was any kind of issue.
Old April 22, 2015, 08:41 PM   #12
Rbrt3474

Been pulled over for speeding and license plate light out. I always hand them my CHL, they ask where it is. Almost invariably they say "you don't touch your gun I won't touch mine." Then for all but 1 I got a warning.

The 1 ticket was a female state trooper in KS, the only cop that seemed perturbed that I had a weapon. Not so much as 1 friendly word or "drive safe", nothin.... Other than the ticket.
Old April 22, 2015, 08:52 PM   #13
Chuck Dye

I have had three occasions to tell law enforcement I am armed. One rural Oregon deputy sheriff, one small town Oregon PD officer, one Seattle PD sergeant. All three reacted with boredom, declined to inspect either permit or weapon. YAWN!
Old April 22, 2015, 10:55 PM   #14
KenL

I was pulled over for speeding in Wyoming. I didn't think that Wyoming had a duty to inform, but since I was out of state I handed the officer my permit along with my driver's license, saying "I don't know if I have a duty to inform so here's my permit anyway". He said thanks, looked at it, handed it back to me. He had clocked me at 78mph but wrote me a ticket for 74 in a 65. Not sure if my handing him my permit made any difference, but I was polite with him so maybe it did.
Old April 22, 2015, 11:07 PM   #15
db4570

I have had two encounters with police while carrying.

The first was about 20 years ago, and I didn't have my permit or any other ID with me. I was walking in my neighborhood in the middle of the night, cut through a school yard (which I think was legal to carry in back then), and was stopped by a cop looking for a burglary suspect. He asked if he could quickly pat me down to confirm I wasn't carrying any of the stolen goods. He was cool about it, almost apologetic. I figured this was a good time to tell him I was carrying, but that I had left my permit at the house.

He patted me down, retrieving my ancient 5 shot .32 from my front pocket, no holster. Talk about looking suspicious. But he was in a hurry to find the burglar, and asked me, "Are you SURE you have a permit. Like if I go to check on it?" I assured him I did. He went off on his mission, and I continued my walk. I must have sounded believable.

Another time I got pulled over for speeding, immediately told him I was carrying on my right hip, kept my hands firmly on the wheel. He was cool, let me go with a warning. Teased me about how much younger I looked on my permit photo.

I think it's just a decent thing to do to inform a cop I'm carrying so there are no surprises. I also feel that they figure if someone has a permit they probably aren't a dangerous fugitive.

David
Old April 23, 2015, 01:52 AM   #16
GJSchulze

In NYS we're not required to tell them, so the two times I've been stopped I said nothing and kept my hands on the steering wheel. If they ever ask me to step out of the car I will hand them my permit before I exit car.

I will not say "I have a gun!"

If you travel to another state you should determine what is required there. I think it's always best to hand them your permit with your license rather than say anything. Let them ask you. That way there won't be any dangerous misunderstanding.
Old April 23, 2015, 04:57 AM   #17
cryogenic419

I've been pulled over 3 times since I've had my ccw. One of those times I was carrying. Other 2 times I was not because I was heading into and coming from work and can't have weapons on company property.

The time I was carrying went smooth as could be. Had a tail light out I was unaware of, flips on his lights, pull over. I've always shut the car off and put the keys on the dash, hands on the steering wheel. He comes to the window does the license/registration/proof of insurance thing, and in Ohio if we are carrying we have to notify them immediately which I did. I know that when they run our plates it shows that we have a ccw so they already know its a possibility before they even get out of their car. He didn't seem to be the least bit interested that I was carrying and simply acknowledged when I told him with OK, told me why he pulled me over. Went back to his car and did his thing, came back a minute later and mentioned the tail light again and said have a nice day. Pretty uneventful.

The other 2 times I got pulled over was because of speeding. I will never know for sure and I sure wasn't about to ask but he could have wrote me pretty hefty tickets but I think me having a ccw may have saved me from getting them. Just a weird gut feeling I have about those situations.
Old April 23, 2015, 05:16 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

The only time I was ever pulled over when I was carrying a gun I was never asked about it. It was a visual inspection sticker check point, and my car had just failed inspection.

But, over the years I've had dozens of interactions with police while carrying a gun -- a good friend of mine is a Federal officer.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 23, 2015, 05:23 AM   #19
TxWheels

When I wore the badge I always appreciated being informed when someone was armed.
Only time I've had interaction with an officer since I retired was just last month when a gal rear ended me at a stop light. I'm setting there at a red light and she nails me while texting. When LE arrived I gave him my DL and CHL and said I'm carrying. He said okay and that was it.
The Sheriff's Association sticker in the back window of my pickup probably helped too.
Old April 23, 2015, 05:30 AM   #20
hartcreek

In Washington state your drivers liscence is linked to your CWP. I have had varied responces from nothing to one officer wanting everthing that I have in the vehicle sitting on top of the vehicle for his protection. I had seven handguns sitting on the roof of my Bronco II that night while I was giggling the lead to the trailer lights to get the blasted lights back on.

Up in the area where the cabin is officers seek me out for help so some officers are on power trips and others are not.
Old April 23, 2015, 07:27 AM   #21
veamon

Why are you volunteering the fact that you're armed? You're not required to by law.
Old April 23, 2015, 07:43 AM   #22
rickyrick

Yes in many states including Texas you must inform the officer that you are armed... I know when they run your DL it tells them that you have a concealed handgun license, so you don't want to hide that fact...

If not armed you are not required to present your license to the officer. If you are armed you must inform the officer.

I have never had any issues, one thanked me for choosing to carry.

I once got a free background check for a loaded rifle in my truck.... Which is legal... The officer asked me if he could run the check...

They can also temporarily disarm you.
One time I had an angry belligerent trespasser, I called the police, the officers arrived, they already knew from their computer that I was armed... The officer requested the pistol and he locked it in his car while they dealt with the situation.... He then brought it back when finished.
Old April 23, 2015, 07:48 AM   #23
livingintx

Got pulled over for a rolling stop through a stop sign last night. I handed the officer my license and CHL. He handed the CHL back to me and he was very polite and professional. I was given a ticket, and I thanked him for his service and went on my merry way. He never asked if I had a gun with me and I don't think I gave him any reason to be concerned.
Old April 23, 2015, 07:51 AM   #24
CajunBass

I used to hand them my CHP along with my drivers license. Once at a accident scene (I dumped my motorcycle and someone else called the cops), and once at a license checkpoint. Both times they handed the CHP back with "I don't need this" comment. Never said a word about the gun.

The only time I ever got pulled for a violation, the gun was on the front passenger seat. It was never mentioned. I was given a verbal warning and told to have a good day.

I'm not sure if I'd bother to do that today. I'd just play it by ear.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 23, 2015, 07:57 AM   #25
full case load

No need to inform in my state. I have asked five 'local' LEO's what they would prefer. 4 said they would appreciate, One said, Not unless I ask. Yet to have the occasion, but I will go with the 80%.