The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 17, 2012, 08:50 PM   #1
BoneDigger

Walther PPS 9mm?

Reviews seem pretty good. I am debating between the PPS for $600 or the LC9 for $400. Is the PPS worth an extra $200.

I prefer no external safety but I can keep it off on the LC9 I suppose.

Thoughts?

Todd
Old December 17, 2012, 08:53 PM   #2
BarryLee

I guess it is really a personal thing I don’t think there is anything wrong with the Ruger. I came very close to buying a PPS and ended up with a GLOCK G26 instead and have always sort of wondered what the PPS would be like for everyday carry.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 17, 2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Bigdave2424

The Shield should probably be in the mix also.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:23 PM   #4
kinoons

I'll admit to being bias, as I own a pps, but I do love mine. It's just large enough to not be a pocket pistol, but it's an otherwise great pistol. Shoots very well, like a pistol of a larger size. Adjustable backstraps to get the best fit for your hands. Different size mags for the length of grip, and a pretty good trigger.

I love my PPS. I believe you can't go wrong with it.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Dashunde

Quote:
Is the PPS worth an extra $200
IMO...Definitely.
Check them both out at the same store if able, you'll see and feel quick enough why.

But then again, I picked the PM9... and still think the PPS has a nicer fit/finish.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:05 AM   #6
Theohazard

In my opinion, the PPS is the best sub-compact single-stack hangun on the market, better than the Shield in every way but price.

The LC9 is a good gun with one of the worst triggers I've ever felt in my entire life. The long pull is not the worst part, it's the long reset combined with the false reset along the way. Having a long reset and forcing the shooter to slap the trigger is bad enough, but having a false reset is just inexcusable.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
In my opinion, the PPS is the best sub-compact single-stack hangun on the market, better than the Shield in every way but price.
I don't have any experience with the Shield but I do own a PPS. I can't say enough good things about it. It's well made, really accurate, carrys like a small gun but shoots like a full sized gun. As a bonus, or not, the S&W PPS is actually made by Walther in Germany if that matters to you.

I agree that is one of the best, if not the best on the market.

I certainly think the price difference is worth it but of course that is a very subjective thing.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:29 AM   #8
MLeake

I have only shot an LC9 once, but in my very limited experience it was pretty accurate and reasonably comfortable to shoot, but the trigger pull was looooooong. Smooth, and not too heavy, but very long.

The PPS has a much better trigger, IMO.

Some people will prefer the American mag release of the LC9.

I like the trigger guard type release on the PPS, but it did require some practice.

I have a PPS, and it is a go-to for very hot weather (conceals under a t-shirt very well).
Old December 18, 2012, 07:52 AM   #9
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
Is the PPS worth an extra $200?
there's no "IMO" about it. absolutely. i would trade 5 lc9's for 1 pps. i'm not exaggerating at all.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 18, 2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Ajtozzi

I was in the same scenario as you a few months back. The fit and finish on the PPS is considerably better than that of the other offerings available on the sub-$500 price range, but I believe that is why it commands anywhere from 20-30% more.

The trigger on the PPS, as previously stated, is much better than that of the LC9. I also like how there are three magazine choices that allow for three different types of grip length.
Old December 18, 2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
Is the PPS worth an extra $200
Yes it is.

In my experiece, the PPS has a much better trigger, better fit & finish, better sights, and is much easier to shoot accurately.

The only downside versus the LC9 is it's size. The PPS, while very thin, is a larger gun.
Old December 18, 2012, 05:21 PM   #12
mumbo719

Yes it is, buy once cry once, buy cheap cry all the time.

Choose wisely.
Old December 19, 2012, 01:07 AM   #13
btmj

I did a review on both the PPS and the LC9 last year. I carry the PPS, my wife chose the LC9, and I have shot both extensively.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471498

They are both good guns, but they are different. It depends on what is important to you. My wife was coming from a lifetime of shooting DA revolvers, so the long DA trigger pull of the LC9 did not bother her at all.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:00 PM   #14
BoneDigger

Thanks everyone for the replies. I could only find a single PPS at Gander Mountain and it was $599 and had a scratch on it (display). They would not discount it for the scratch.

I found an LC9 for $320 new at a local shop which I thought was pretty good, so I bought it. I put a magazine through it at home and it felt pretty good. The recoil was very reasonable. I plan to hit the range for a real test later this week after a good cleaning.

Todd
Old December 19, 2012, 09:37 PM   #15
chrisintexas

online where can you find pps?
I can't find cz75b either.
do you know?
Old December 19, 2012, 09:58 PM   #16
Dashunde

I wouldnt bat an eye at buying a PPS, PPQ or P99 online from someone with a high transaction count and good rep on gunbroker sight-unseen.
Really high probability getting a good one.

Some other brands? Not so much...
Old December 20, 2012, 07:21 AM   #17
redrick

Yes, IMO it is worth the difference in price.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:38 PM   #18
Coltman 77

I've had a 9mm PPS for almost 4 years and find it to be very easy to shoot well, accurate, reliable with a variety of fmj and jhp ammo.

The PPS is easy to carry and also easy to take down for cleaning.

Walther hit a homerun with this pistol IMO. Here's a pic of mine to inspire you.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA