The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2010, 10:41 AM   #1
OscarTurner

Poly-Choke on Full Choke barrel

I am quite ignorant about chokes and shotguns, so I hope this makes sense.

My step dad just gave me his 20 gauge Model 12 with poly-choke. After looking at the barrel carefully last night, it's marked FULL. So now I know the poly was added later.

My question is this: If the barrel was Full Choke and the Poly goes from Open to Full Choke, does that mean that the original Full Choke end of the barrel was cut off to install the Poly? If so, would that mean that the barrel is now shorter that stock, with the Poly on it, or was the cut off piece the exact length of the Poly that was added?

Thanks.
Old March 17, 2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

If the barrel was Full Choke and the Poly goes from Open to Full Choke, does that mean that the original Full Choke end of the barrel was cut off to install the Poly?

Yes.

If so, would that mean that the barrel is now shorter that stock, with the Poly on it, or was the cut off piece the exact length of the Poly that was added?

Probably about the same as original length, unless the owner wanted it shorter.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 17, 2010, 01:17 PM   #3
zippy13

Don't jump to any conclusions. The barrel was probably cut off to accommodate the poly-choke and maintain the same barrel length. But, perhaps a previous owner was tired of hunting ducks with a long barrel and wanted something shorter for upland work, the new overall length may be shorter than the original. Or, he may have wanted a longer barrel and had the full choke cut out and the poly-choke installed without shortening the barrel. What is the present length of the barrel?
Old March 17, 2010, 02:15 PM   #4
OscarTurner

It looks like it was/is a 26" barrel. I'll measure it when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the responses!
Old March 18, 2010, 09:57 AM   #5
OscarTurner

It measured 25.5" from the tip of the Poly-Choke to the receiver.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Sam06

If it was a full choke it was most likely a 28" barrel. Poly Choke cuts the barrel down to get rid of the choke portion of the barrel, usually the last 2". The Poly Choke is about 3" long altogether so they can bring the barrel back to the same length or it can be shorter.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:49 PM   #7
bamaranger

20 gauge

Were Model 12 20 gauge full's, 28 inches, I'm not sure. Many 20ga fulls had shorter bbls than their big brother 12.

Poly chokes were a pretty common mod back in the day. Enjoy the gun for what it is.

Model 12's are part of the era of "the way it was."