The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 19, 2012, 12:03 AM   #26
myshoulderissore

Cheapest, or most inexpensive? Cheapest, HiPoint. Most inexpensive, low end Rugers, S&Ws, XDs, and others mentioned. I can't speak for Bersa or Keltec, I hear good things, but I haven't ever used or even handled them.
Old January 19, 2012, 12:09 AM   #27
RedWhiteBlackYellow

I meant cheapest as in lowest price! A few of you guys got the point of the question.
Old January 19, 2012, 02:27 AM   #28
TennJed

Quote:
How did Taurus make that list? Durability and reliability don't belong in the same sentence as Taurus.
I was never good at grammer, but my Taurus have never had any issues, are made from quality material, are accurate, and will eat any ammo. According to your criteria I should state the following:

"Taurus makes firearms. The previously stated company makes firearms that are durable and reliable."

2 seperate sentences. 2 accurate statements. Thanks for the pointers. I feel so weel spoken now.
Old January 19, 2012, 07:23 AM   #29
Nakanokalronin

Most inexpensive handgun with a polymer frame that I would trust to last a while would be a Ruger P95.
Old January 19, 2012, 07:30 AM   #30
Leejack

We knew what you meant by cheap.

Sigma or P95 would fit the bill nicely, the reliability of these guns exceeds their price point by a country mile.
Old January 19, 2012, 09:05 AM   #31
tahunua001

absolute cheapest I've heard of is the HI POINT 9mm(usually go for about $125). I have always wanted one so that I can use it to experiment with so I dont mess up any of my nice guns lol.

cheapest I would trust my life with would be a Ruger SR9(about $375-425). I own one and it is well beyond reproach.
Old January 19, 2012, 09:07 AM   #32
Sport45

The cheapest polymer handgun I've purchased was a Ruger 22/45.
Old January 19, 2012, 10:03 AM   #33
KMAX

?

REDWHITEBLACKYELLOW, You thought you asked a simple straight forward question didn't you? Not! Cheapest I ever paid any attention was a Hi Point C9. There may be cheaper, just haven't looked at them close enough for any details about frame or cost.
Old January 19, 2012, 12:02 PM   #34
chewie146

I'm always out there looking for a deal as well. I understand your mentality. Some of us don't have a grand to blow on a pistol. I shop the used market pretty heavily. I picked up a used S&W M&P with 3 mags, 6 base plates, factory box, and the thumb safety for under 400 bucks. This is the SC model, btw. New? I've owned Kel-Tec and any pistol that flexes that much makes me nervous. Taurus is out for me, personally, due to too many bad experiences. The Sigma and SD-9 have attracted me some, but they're pretty rough. Reportedly, they work. I'd get a Hi-Point for a tackle-box type gun, but if I'm going to carry it, I want something that feels good and I can shoot well. Try police trade-in glocks as well. They're carried a lot, but Glock internals are cheap, the mags are cheap, and the guns are not shot as much as many personally owned guns.
Old January 19, 2012, 05:35 PM   #35
RedWhiteBlackYellow

chewie146 gets it too. Im not made of money, and just wonna have alittle fun from time to time.
Old January 19, 2012, 06:42 PM   #36
9mm

Old January 19, 2012, 08:34 PM   #37
Moyer

If you want to save money, you might consider forking out a little more for a good .22 and saving a ton on ammo over time (do some research on ammo prices). They do make some fun polymer .22s now. If you must get a centerfire, get a 9mm.

Hi-Point should be the cheapest, and likely more reliable than many guns twice the price.

The good thing about buying a Hi-point, it won't lose much value over time, especially if you get a good deal on one. Even if you upgrade later but decide to keep it, you can use it for a truck gun, or for a friend to shoot, or an extra HD gun, or anything you don't want to use a really nice gun for, or any other excuse you can think of.

Target shooting with a Hi-Point is a million times cooler than sitting at home on the couch.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:37 PM   #38
triumph666

Cheapest reliable polymer pistols would be Kel Tec in my opinion

cdnnsports sells them from 199 to 299 according to model and they are reliable and have good customer service too
Old January 21, 2012, 11:44 PM   #39
bqglock

Quote:
target shooting with a hi-point is a million times cooler than sitting at home on the couch.
Can I get an Amen!!
Old January 21, 2012, 11:52 PM   #40
BrittB

I wonder who sells them in my neck of the woods?

Tags
auto , cheap , handgun , polymer , semi