The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 28, 2015, 11:38 AM   #1
xandi

falure to reload

My ar15 will fire, and eject a .223 rem tulammo cartridges, but will not strip the next round off the magazine.
Same mag/gun works fine with other ammo.
Any ideas on why it does this and how to fix it?
Thx
Old June 28, 2015, 12:38 PM   #2
precision_shooter

If it does it with that one ammo, the ammo is too weak to fully cycle the bolt...the bolt is not coming far enough to the rear to grab the rim of the next cartridge. A lighter buffer should fix the problem, but may be too light for the other types of ammo that you don't have problems with now.

I wouldn't want to change the buffer between types of ammo. If it were me, I just wouldn't shoot the Tula ammo. Find another cheap steel cased ammo that will cycle reliably without changing the buffer.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 28, 2015, 01:28 PM   #3
marine6680

Short stroking...

What brand of AR is it... Some of them actually have properly gassed systems for 5.56 spec ammo, and don't like weak ammo.

As was mentioned, a lighter buffer will allow using the tula, but may be too light for standard 5.56... It will work but recoil more, and wear the parts faster.
Old June 28, 2015, 01:34 PM   #4
xandi

The upper is a delton with a 16" barrel
Old June 28, 2015, 01:50 PM   #5
marine6680

Mid gas or carbine gas? If you have the "grenade launcher" cut on the barrel it's a carbine gas. Mid gas is longer, so the handguards are longer.

What buffer are you using? The face of the buffer will be blank or marked H, H2, or H3.

To test for proper bolt carrier movement.

Load a mag with 2 rounds.

Fire the first, the second should load properly.

Fire the second, the bolt should lock open, and stay open when you remove the mag.

If it fails any step, the rifle is most likely short stroking.

I do this for a full box of ammo, to be sure.

Last edited by marine6680; June 28, 2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old June 28, 2015, 04:05 PM   #6
Metal god

Tag , I have two Delton's One is a complete 316 the other I built off of a rifle kit . The barrel , BCG and upper receiver are about the only things left from the kit . one is a mid the other a carbine . They both have functioned well with any ammo . I should add that I have shot very little steel cased ammo through them . Maybe 200rds of multiple types . I don't remember ever having an issue .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old June 28, 2015, 04:13 PM   #7
xandi

Mid length and h buffer
Old June 28, 2015, 09:44 PM   #8
marine6680

Well, you have the option of trying a standard carbine buffer.

That combo should work fine with weak ammo on most rifles... I wonder in the gas block is misaligned.
Old June 29, 2015, 06:12 AM   #9
Mobuck

If you're using a midlength and H buffer, where is the rifle throwing the brass from the ammo that feeds correctly? I've never found the need to use a heavier than standard buffer with any midlength based on brass ejection patterns.
Old June 29, 2015, 07:23 AM   #10
zukiphile

Sounds as if you have within your grasp the makings for a very soft shooting carbine.

I have a carbine lower on a rifle upper that will reliably cycle wolf steel with a 5 ounce buffer. The recoil impulse is a long gentle shove with no sharp jolt at the end.

You should be able to do the same thing with a lighter buffer. However, if you do this, or if you happen to remove one of the steel weights from a standard buffer and replace it with something even lighter, I would not use any other ammunition unless I first replaced the buffer with at least a standard 3 ounce buffer.
Old June 29, 2015, 05:28 PM   #11
Boncrayon

failure to reload

It's an issue with the pressure in your TulAmmo round. I shot .556 blanks with a golf ball tube devise that sent the golf ball over 400 yards. But the blanks did not have enough pressure kick back to open the breech for a second round. The pressure should be sufficient for to push the shell out and reload the next shell.
Old July 5, 2015, 08:04 PM   #12
xandi

thx

Thx for the help everyone
Old July 6, 2015, 01:51 AM   #13
bamaranger

ya'know

Just for grins, and maybe saving yourself a bunch of aggrevation, you might try some different magazines, or doing a good cleanup of your existing ones.

Could be the steel Tula is not doing well in the mag box.
Old July 11, 2015, 04:39 AM   #14
Taco-XL

This is why i prefer to have a gun that is a tad overgassed. It will ensure function with weaker ammo. Fine tuning to run "silky smooth" at the expense of
functionality is not a worthy trade off. Id try the standard buffer as some have mentioned.
Old July 11, 2015, 07:50 AM   #15
DanTSX

Upgrade your extractor spring.