The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 24, 2015, 10:12 PM   #1
blackwater1825

WASR rear trunnion contact

So I ran the 500 rounds through my new WASR. It runs great. It contacts the rear trunnion either a little harder than the other WASR I have or the rear trunnion is a little softer, either way all rivets are still sold and the gun held up fine. You ak gurus out there, what is your experience with rear trunnion contact because every ak I have seen or shot has either hit the rear trunnion hard or a little bit hard but always hit. I run wolff extra power springs in all my aks. The Saigas seem to contact the rear trunnion the hardest. Whats up? Thanks.
Old June 25, 2015, 09:07 AM   #2
blackwater1825

Come on guys lets hear it.
Old June 25, 2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Heels357

I put 15% over Wolf recoil springs in all my builds and Recoil buffers also. Now here comes all the gun nuts saying if your Ak is runnin right, it's not suppose to hit the trunnion. Bull! Watch any slow mo video of an Ak being shot, even a brand new Arsenal, and the bolt is hitting the trunnion. Or put a piece of tape on you trunnion and it will show signs of being hit. At least with a Recoil buffer there is no metal to metal contact. Some guys have shaved their buffers down to give them a little more bolt travel but I leave mine full width and have yet to tear them up with 1000's of rounds through each of my builds. And they will say if they are so good why don't Ak manufactors put them on their guns? My answer is it can't hurt and it's cheap insurance!
Old June 26, 2015, 06:41 PM   #4
AK103K

My 3 current AK's show very little, if any contact with the trunnion, including my Saiga conversion. The worst of it is just some minor finish wear in one or two spots.

Thats after beau coup thousands of round through each of them too.

My experience with recoil buffers was not good. My Arsenal SSR-85C came with one, and had constant feed issues with it installed. I also tried one in my Saiga, with the same results. I soon ditched them and would not use one again.

If the buffer was really necessary, they would be spec'd in the design, and you would see them installed in the "real" guns, which you dont.
Old June 28, 2015, 09:17 AM   #5
Heels357

All you buffer hatting AK guys better Google Larry Vickers shooting an Ak on You Tube and click on the Inside the AK-74 video he posted on 05/15/2015. He pulls the dust cover off and........... wait for it......... the gas tube off and bangs away in slow mo! That bolt carrier is hitting the trunnion so hard it's jumping around like a pop can on the floor board. Of course we'll hear every excuse in the book why but who cares. Yes some guns won't function with a full size buffer but I seen guys cut a piece of truck inner tube and put in there to get rid of the metal on metal contact. Cheap insurance.
Old June 28, 2015, 10:29 AM   #6
AK103K

Back about 10, 15 years ago, there was a video in slow motion of an AK sans top cover, shooting full auto going around. If I remember right, only one or two rounds sent the bolt back far enough to just "kiss" the trunnion. That was a "real" AK too.

As I said earlier, the only AK's Ive had trouble with, had the buffers installed. Once removed, the troubles went away. Cowinkiedence? I think not.

I still think if this was a real issue, you would see them spec'd in the original design, or at least an addendum to that design, and they would be in all AK's, real and clones, right from the factory.

Hey, if it bothers you, and your gun works properly with one installed, have at it. Your gun, your choice.
Old June 28, 2015, 11:20 AM   #7
blackwater1825

Ya I saw that video, it looke barely gassed enough to operate..no thanks. I believe they are all meant to contact. Most people dont shoot enough to get the full affect so like those people that say I have saiga conversions that dont touch..well they do but they dont leave marks for at least 1k to 2k rounds, and then the cosmetic damage stops. My issue was the bolt carrier had sharp burrs around the entire rear end of it, I sanded those off, now its good to go, I also believe muzzle devices have something to do with it too.
Old June 28, 2015, 11:45 AM   #8
AK103K

I dont think they were meant to contact, at least, not on a regular basis. If so, you'd see it with all of them, and you really dont, or at least I havent seen it with mine. It would really make no sense to design it that way.

I know for a fact that my Saiga has a good bit more than one or two thousand rounds through it, and other than a few light marks in the finish, no damage. That gun also wears an AK74 type brake.

Ive had two AK's with that type brake, one with a slant brake, and a couple with no brake at all, and as I can remember, the rear trunnions on all of them showed nothing Id call damage, or even regular contact. At best, it was just light finish wear in one or two spots.

What youre describing is not normal in my experience. If youre getting sharp burrs, it sounds like something isnt right, and needs addressing. Have you contacted Century and asked their thought?
Old June 28, 2015, 06:12 PM   #9
blackwater1825

I don't think they were designed to contact but I do think they were designed to be built to handle being overgassed for reliability purposes. I like the way you respond and I like our little debate here. Over at a place I will not name they would jump your -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-, call you retarded, even told me to wash my mouth out with a revolver once. That was when I came over here. So me and a friend went shooting today, both brand new WASR's we both ran about 1000 rounds to see if they would hold up to some heat and semi-heavy use, they did. I run an extra power spring in mine and it definatly contacts (like every ak I have shot or seen; at least 30) and his just has finish wear. So I think you are right in a certain aspect of this conversation. I really appreciate this forum. You are all professional and to the point. I am proud to be here.
Old June 28, 2015, 06:15 PM   #10
blackwater1825

Oh about the sharp burrs. I wrote this in another thread but the bolt carrier just had some sharp burrs so when it contacted the rear trunnion it made it look like more damage than there really was happening. So I lightly sanded around the rear of the bolt carrier and polished without removing material, shot 1000 rounds and no extra damage to rear trunnion and the burr on the rear trunnion is now gone, everything looks great and is holding up like a tank. If I had to I don't think I would send my rifle to Century unless they were for sure going to just give me a brand new one, but if it needed work and it doesn't I would rather pay money to a good gun smith like somewhere I could send it online for the work.