The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 24, 2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Heels357

I'm so over it or is it just me?!!!

How many of you have had to send a brand new firearm back to the factory to get fixed in the past 5 years? Are you kidding me?!!!! I've been shooting now for over 45 yrs and have had to send back more guns the past 5 yrs than the prior 40 yrs. Don't these gun makers know that with the way social media is these days that with a push of a few buttons the whole world knows what kind of junk they are trying to sell us. They sure stand behind their product until they sell it to you, then it's Adios! Now how many of you have bought a new Firearm and took it out the first time and it didn't fire?
Case in point. I live in a mag cap restricted state so my purchasing options are limited and also you pick a few platforms to stick with and stock up before the ban took place. Found a firearm, one of the top ten at Shot Show, that uses the same mag as my platform, and started my research. Top guys on You Tube put it through the paces and this is a new updated model from their first run. After 5 months of study I ordered one, picked it up from my FFL, ran a snake through it and checked it over and off to shoot. Racked, pulled the trigger and nothing. 5 times and nothing. Finally on the 6th time it took off and I dumped the remaining 15 rds, put another mag in her and that was it. No more go bang! What do you expect for $1000? CS said, " That's odd " and send it in and oh by the way it will be 10 to 12 week turn around. What, no QC at your company and must be getting plenty of your guns back with that kind of turn around. Good thing when I TRIED to fire the gun it wasn't a life or death situation!
Old June 24, 2015, 01:36 PM   #2
2ndsojourn

I guess any company can have a lemon on occasion. But at least they're standing behind their product.

What was the gun?
Old June 24, 2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Heels357

Won't release the guns make and model just yet. Waiting to see how CS is and how the gun performs when I get it back. Guns at the factory now and you know some gun manufacturers troll forums and Face Book looking for people bashing their product. Be easy to put one and one together, wouldn't want them to spit on a plate that was sent back. I will say...... wait for it..... it's not an AR or an AR platform type gun. Blew the wind right out of everyones sails.
Old June 24, 2015, 02:06 PM   #4
marine6680

I haven't had to send any of mine back...

Some people just get unlucky on occasion... Which sucks.

Hopefully your sting of issues will end.
Old June 24, 2015, 02:13 PM   #5
Panfisher

Honestly I can't even imagine any gun manufacturer that I would even consider purchasing a rifle from would on their worst day troll a shooting forum and attempt to sabotage someone for making comments on-line. An outside chance of if they saw their company name and a listing of the problem they would be in contact with their Customer Support folks and say, hey this one is already in a shooting forum, lets make sure it gets done correctly and quickly for some free advertising.
Old June 24, 2015, 03:00 PM   #6
Heels357

I'm not one of those guys who gets a gun that gives him problems, takes it to a big box SG store, takes a 30% to 40% hit, and trades it in. I told the CS manager that I wanted the gun to work and wanted to keep the gun if it was reliable. Fist off, it would be like buying a new car, paying for it, waiting for it to be delivered to the new car lot, going and getting in it to leave, and it wouldn't start, and it wouldn't start, and so on. Come on guys. Know anybody who's bought a brand new gun and cycled it 5 times and pulled the trigger 5 times and it never fired? How would you feel? Second, 10 to 12 weeks turn around! This is not one of you major 5 gun makers that push out 1,000 firearms a week. You can't push someone to the front of the line that just purchased your product that wouldn't even fire? I sent in a JRC firearm for warranty work and it spent more time being shipped that it did at the factory. They asked me what would make me happy, I told them, and they went well above and beyond my expectations. A shout out to those guys, Thanks! It would be better and quicker of them to send me one of the new guns they manufacture during that 10 to 12 weeks. Thanks for letting me vent guys, my wife says thanks too.
Old June 24, 2015, 07:03 PM   #7
highpower3006

As a matter of fact, I bought a new loaded M1A back in 1994. When I took it to the range, It wouldn't even chamber a single round. Seems that they forgot to properly set the headspace and the chamber was too short. This was on a rifle that cost me over $1400 21 years ago

I called Springfield and they sent me a RMA number and a shipping label. I got it back two weeks later and everything was okay from then on.

I was, of course, extremely dissapointed but since there was nothing I could do about it except wait for it to get fixed, so I waited as patiently for it to come back.

What I didn't do, was throw a hissy fit about it, just sent it back and let them fix it. In your case, I do think that the manufacturer should make a better effort to expedite repairing it and get it back to you in a more timely manner.

You have two choices as I see it, be patient and calmly wait for your rifle to come back and see how it works, or stand around wallowing in your angst over the situation until it comes back and then see how it works.

Either way you are going to have to wait.
Old June 25, 2015, 01:28 AM   #8
sigshepardo

I guess the best way I can explain it is like this. We have a John Deere 322 garden tractor. It was new back in 1988 and the damn thing keeps going. But if you go buy a new Deere, most people only get about five years out of them before they croak. Not sure of the right phrase or word to describe it... Pretty much our manufacturing as a whole in the states has found it better to make a product you have to keep buying every few years than make a solid product that lasts forever. Its the same for guns. They really don't make guns as well as they used to in some respects.
Old June 25, 2015, 06:37 AM   #9
dakota.potts

Based on your description of the gun, I'm guessing it's a PTR 32 or maybe something like the Keltec RFB?
Old June 25, 2015, 10:09 AM   #10
Heels357

You are correct. Brand New PTR 32 KFR Gen 2 from Atlantic Firearms. It's at the factory now and my 10 to 12 week wait begins.
Old June 25, 2015, 10:19 AM   #11
rickyrick

I understand the disappointment.

You plop down good money for a gun and you want to enjoy it.

If you're like me now, I can no longer go shoot on a whim. It's a planned out event.

We as shooters are constantly itching to go shoot.
Old June 25, 2015, 10:21 AM   #12
precision_shooter

I've never had to send a gun back to the mfg, ever. I've been buying guns, both new and used, for close to 20 years now. Guess I've been lucky? But I will say that I research any potential purchase quite thoroughly, via the Internet, before purchasing to see if/what issues others have had...

I recently bought a PTR K3P from Atlantic. Took it out for the first time this past weekend and it ran like a champ with both cheap steel cased ammo and cheap brass cased ammo. Slow fire, rapid fire, and everything in between. All of the $5 magazines I picked up at a gun show also worked flawlessly.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 25, 2015, 11:05 AM   #13
Heels357

I think I've been accused of throwing a hissy fit, but I'm not. I did my research for 5 months before I ordered the gun and really couldn't find any thing bad about the gun except a few post of loose extractors. No biggy. What is upsetting is first; I ordered it from Atlantic Firearms, so I sent Atlantic's CS an Email 2 weeks ago and have yet to be contacted by them. Also if you look at their warranty, they only back theirs builds. The other firearms, once they get your money, they wash their hands of it. Better get ahold of manufacture. Second; 10 to 12 week turn around, are you kiddin?!! Are they getting that many of their guns returned for warranty work or could they care less about a returning customer? I understand that no matter how good a companies QC department is, things happen. But if a customer, that paid for one of their brand new products has a problem to where he couldn't even use it for the first time, shouldn't he go to the front of the line for warranty work?
Old June 25, 2015, 08:54 PM   #14
stubbicatt

I've had good experiences with PTR customer service.

I purchased a JLD rifle, shortly before they sold to PTR, Inc. I experienced a "low shelf" which messed up ejection. I returned it to PTR, Inc., the new company, and they rectified the issue. I had good communication with them throughout, and felt like I was well cared for.

I agree with you in general, every firearm I have purchased since 2000 with the exception of Glock and CZ has had to be returned for an issue. For awhile there I used to joke with the LGS folks to just box it up and return it before I take delivery, as I know I'll be doing it in a week! I believe there are some serious issues with QC across the board these days.

I hope *my* issues with faulty firearms stop soon too. --Wait! I bought a Uberti lever action which has given me no issues at all. Now that is a high quality firearm. Perhaps my streak of "bad luck" has ended. (Knock on wood!)
Old June 26, 2015, 06:14 PM   #15
Darren007

Quote:
I think I've been accused of throwing a hissy fit, but I'm not.
Quote:
But if a customer, that paid for one of their brand new products has a problem to where he couldn't even use it for the first time, shouldn't he go to the front of the line for warranty work?
Nope.
Old June 26, 2015, 07:20 PM   #16
pete2

New guns aren't what they used to be, in recent years I've had to repair or return 9 guns from various mfgs. I won't name them but all except one were big guys. It appears that they assemble the parts and ship them. Some of these guns would go bang , go bang part of the time or just have multiple jams.
Old June 26, 2015, 09:56 PM   #17
Dragline45

Ive had to send a couple guns back, even brand new guns and had to wait the 10-12 weeks like yourself. Yeah it sucks, but it happens. As long as they are willing to fix the problem on their own dime I have no complaints.

Quote:
You can't push someone to the front of the line that just purchased your product that wouldn't even fire?
Quote:
But if a customer, that paid for one of their brand new products has a problem to where he couldn't even use it for the first time, shouldn't he go to the front of the line for warranty work?
They not only have a production schedule to keep up with, but they have other repairs that people sent in before you. It's really not reasonable to think that they should potentially not meet production deadlines and not repair guns of customers who sent theirs in before you did just to get to your gun first. Your time is no more valuable than theirs, and everyone else waiting for repairs gave them their business just like you did.

Just recently I had a brand new Beretta M9A1 that within the first 100rds had to go back to the factory. After they looked at the gun they said they would replace it with a new one though it would be about 3 months. Knowing they have to fill orders that were made months ago, I didn't expect them to pull one off the assembly line meant for another order just to fulfill mine. I thanked them since they payed for shipping both ways an were willing to replace the gun with a brand new one.

Last edited by Dragline45; June 26, 2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old June 27, 2015, 10:25 AM   #18
Heels357

Better go to the PTR having financial troubles Thread and read the article from the Myrtle Beach Online story. Sounds like they over produced and their product is just sitting. So I don't think they would have to shut down production just to work on my gun. Think over production and lack of sales is their problem.
Old June 27, 2015, 01:56 PM   #19
tangolima

Quite some # of manufacturers over produced after the recent shortage run. When such unusual market unrest happens, some would rich and some would go broke. I hope PTR will pull through. They are one of the good ones.

I have purchased 3 brand new guns in my life. One needed to go back, right out of box, for repair. It was a Springfield armory 1911a1 government model. It had negative sear-hammer engagement. Their customer service was impeccable. The repair was top-notch. 2 weeks turn around time. No complaints.

-TL
Old June 27, 2015, 10:17 PM   #20
Heels357

PTR 32 Gen 2

Unless Blaine Bunting of Atlantic Firearms, where I purchased the gun, steps in with some help it will be an at least 96 days from date of purchase until I get my gun back from the factory.
Old June 28, 2015, 09:19 AM   #21
osbornk

Quote:
How would you feel if you had a gun in for repair and others were given priority because his or hers wasn't new? How would you feel if your "old" gun was going to be repaired in months rather than weeks?
Old June 28, 2015, 09:32 AM   #22
Heels357

Of the 96 days, I held my brand new gun that didn't work for all of 2 hrs. The " Older Guns " had to have been working before they broke.
Old June 28, 2015, 09:45 AM   #23
ttarp

Quote:
I did my research for 5 months before I ordered the gun and really couldn't find any thing bad about the gun except a few post of loose extractors.
Well I think its possible your research could have been more throrough, 7.62X39 caliber roller locks have always been more susceptible to problems. The Hk32 wasn't much of a hit, and PTR has had a lot of trouble with mag compatibility and a bad run of bolt heads too, hence the GenII.

I'd like to pick one of these up myself eventually, but its an oddball in a family of oddball firearms. I guess I'm trying to say; yes its a shame yours wouldn't run out of the box, but this particular rifle is quirky to begin with, so here's to hoping it runs 100% when you get it back.
Old June 28, 2015, 10:17 AM   #24
Heels357

Hey ttarp !

Thanks!
Old June 28, 2015, 10:32 AM   #25
4runnerman

Lucky here too. Never have had a gun that I had to send back. Now at the risk of being bashed here, Even my pistol-Taurus PT1911 in 45 ACP. Over 6000 rounds now and never a hick up yet. I did have a 22 many years ago (30 plus ). It was the old Marlin tube feed one. That thing was just junk from day one till I figured our it like a certain ammo. Once that was all I bought, it never failed me again.
Hope all works out for you.