The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 13, 2006, 11:21 PM   #1
newuspowner

i need help!!!

i consistantly shoot low and to the right on every gun i own, all are sighted in by my stepfather (a near perfect shot)... what am i doing wrong...
i own: h&k usp45c, h&k expert 45, spriengfield 1911 9mm, FN Five-seveN,
i am new to shooting hand guns i will take any and all advise
thanks
brett
Old April 13, 2006, 11:54 PM   #2
tBlake08

If YOU own them, sight them to you. If they're his, shoot up and left a little. Might also be an eye dominance thing? Doubt it though.

-Clint Eastwood
Old April 14, 2006, 12:01 AM   #3
newuspowner

that is just it, i tried sighting them and i still shoot low&right..one thing i have found is i am better outside than indoors,
Old April 14, 2006, 07:24 AM   #4
erh

newuspowner - If you're a "Righty" try less trigger finger; use your finger pad 1/2 way between the first joint & your finger tip; always try to "Squeeze" not "Pull" the trigger. If you're a "Lefty" try a little "More" trigger finger... Lastly, slow down and concentrate... Concentrate on focusing on your front sight blade, inhale then exhale 1/2 way, squeeze, don't pull or jerk the trigger. Learning good firing habits is better than adjusting the sights to your mistaken method of firing a handgun. Just my .02 cents worth; hope this helps.

Eric Howland
Savannah, GA.

Last edited by erh; April 14, 2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old April 14, 2006, 09:16 PM   #5
newuspowner

all info helps, i know it is not my gunsespically the usp expert 45, it is me, i am looking for someonein my local area who can watch me shoot and give me pointers, but i do take everything i read on here and try it , thanks again for all the info
Old April 15, 2006, 12:20 PM   #6
KC135

Ball and dummy. Mix dummy ammo in with live, so you can see what is going on when you pull the trigger.

Dry fire--with triple checked gun, no ammo in room, and a dime on top of the slide. The dime should never move.
Old April 15, 2006, 01:55 PM   #7
erh

KC135 - I've taught that drill a thousand times if it was once... Excellent Eye opener; sounds like a Lil' SAI background if ever I've heard it...

Eric Howland
Savannah, GA.
Old April 16, 2006, 01:48 PM   #8
GoSlash27

NewUSP,
Sounds to me like you're anticipating the recoil. There are many threads on the forum on how to discover & overcome this.
Old April 16, 2006, 04:24 PM   #9
pickpocket

Have someone mix some snap caps with your target load (that way you don't know where they are) - that also helps identify little problems. If you're anticipating recoil it's going to show up loud and clear when you land on one of the snaps.

Another question to ask is whether you're shooting consistent, tight groups. If your groups look clean but they're just not POA/POI then either get your sights adjusted for you or get new sights.
If your groups look nasty and you're shooting low/left then it's either trigger control (righty) or anticipating recoil (lefty).

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old April 30, 2006, 01:06 PM   #10
joecad

try a lighter load like 185 gr.....see if that helps.
in the mean time check these out:
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm
http://www.americanshooter.com/features/features.html
Old April 30, 2006, 10:56 PM   #11
oldbillthundercheif

Trigger Control

One drill I was taught was to dry-fire your pistol with a coin balanced on top of it. If you don't execute properly, that coin is going to fall off. We used dimes but other coinage would probably be acceptable.