The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 12, 2012, 04:17 PM   #1
tahunua001

do you slingshot your slide?

hello all.
finding nothing better to do with my spare time I have been watching a lot of shows on exhibition shooters and somehow watched an entire season of Top Shot in one day. one thing I've noticed though, is that every single shooter slingshots their slides when they shoot semis. while I was going through my M9 familiarization and qualification courses we were told specifically not to slingshot but to use the slide release. that was ingrained into my head to the point that I do it with every semi I've ever shot. is there some sort of advantage you gain from racking the slide over releasing or is it just a matter of how you were trained and whatever works for you?
Old February 12, 2012, 04:26 PM   #2
wbw

I slingshot it. Didn't know it was a possible problem.
Old February 12, 2012, 04:26 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

I think that the terms need to be clarified before discussing.
To me and many others, the term sling shot is a specific method of releasing the slide by pulling it back between the weak hands pinched fingers, and letting the slide go, ala sling shot release and letting it slam home.
That is "SLINGSHOT" in my understanding.

To others, they mean any releasing of the slide as opposed to moving down the SLIDE STOP (again, slide stop, not release as many understand it).
This INCLUDES the OVERHAND slide release.

So in this discussion, are you referring to ANY slide release by the weak hand, or specifically the "slingshot" method of release?

And to answer your question, I was taught by many instructors to use the overhand technique for release as opposed to both others. The reasoning is that one loses fine motor controls in stress situations, and gross manipulations are better. Also, many malfunction drills are down with the overhand technique, so it is better to keep it simple and use mainly one.
Old February 12, 2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Carry_24/7

If I'm doing drills that involve rapid fire/rapid reloading, I slingshot. I've done it for years on all of my autos with no issues. A USMC instructor taught me to do so about 20 years ago in a class he was teaching for Navy folks.

If I'm slow target firing, I'll use the slide release.

I believe I'm just as fast using either technique, but I learned the slingshot method first in regards to "combat" shooting, so it sticks in my head to do so. I'll have to test this out now that you mention it....
Old February 12, 2012, 04:28 PM   #5
khegglie

Sling shot ~90% of the time. I heard it helps the cartrige seat better.
Old February 12, 2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Microgunner

And on the other hand Glock says to never use the slide lock to release the slide but rather pull the slide back and release it (slingshot).
My Kahr's manual says to always use the slide lock to release the slide.
I guess there's no definitive answer.
Old February 12, 2012, 04:32 PM   #7
hogwiley

I would think slingshoting it you get a tiny bit more slide velocity pushing the round into the chamber, whether this makes any real difference I dont know.

The only reasons I can think for training someone to always use the slide release is that in a real situation its possible your hand could slip while trying to grasp and pull back on the slide, maybe because you have sweaty hands or are wearing gloves, or are just nervous. Another reason might be simply that it only takes one hand to push down the slide release, where as sling shotting is a two handed procedure and possibly takes a split second longer, of course this depends a bit on the ergonomics of the gun. On some handguns you might have to shift your grip to hit the slide release, which then results in you taking longer. I say do whatever you feel more comfortable with.

Last edited by hogwiley; February 12, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old February 12, 2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Sheikyourbootie

I always thought "slingshotting" was the way it's supposed to be done.
Old February 12, 2012, 04:40 PM   #9
tahunua001

Quote:
So in this discussion, are you referring to ANY slide release by the weak hand, or specifically the "slingshot" method of release?
I guess I'm referring to any method besides slide lock. you did bring up the good point that high stress inhibits finer motor skills so I could see grabbing the slide would be easier than locating the slide lock.

OTOH, muscle memory should take over and you should automatically know where to stick your thumb after a reload.
Old February 12, 2012, 04:45 PM   #10
WVsig

As others have pointed out there are two different methods often mistakenly referred to as sling shooting the slide.

IMHO you should choose one of these two and on any carry gun you should also be familiar with hoe to properly activate the slide lock/release.

Sling Shot

Overhand

Old February 12, 2012, 04:49 PM   #11
David the Gnome

Hmm, I've been known to do both but when we do our run and gun stuff I usually use the slide-stop to load a new magazine. It may require finer muscle control but it's a lot faster when you're competing against the clock. Using the slide-stop allows me to get my shooting grip back faster than if I had to reach for the top of the slide with my support hand first.
Old February 12, 2012, 04:50 PM   #12
motorhead0922

Every time the gun auto-loads the next round, it "slingshots" the slide. It's not an issue.

I disagree with the term slide release. It's a slide lock. Using it to release the slide will eventually wear it out, although it would take a really long time I'm sure.
Old February 12, 2012, 04:52 PM   #13
rduckwor

The slide release requires pretty fine motor skills that are likely to be absent during a period of stress (i.e. someone shooting at you). That's why most of us have been taught to releases the slide with either an overhand or slingshot method. It's a pretty gross motor skill.
Old February 12, 2012, 04:57 PM   #14
WVsig

I hate the fine motor skills argument. If you were not capable of fine motor skills in a defense situation you would not be able to sight the pistol or properly break the trigger. Its all about training and developing habits which create muscle memory.

For me a more valid argument for the overhand or slingshot method is that it works the same for every pistol. It also is the same technique you should use to clear a jam.

That said if you shoot the same platform all the time and your hands know exactly where the slide lock/release is this is a faster method to reload a pistol than the other methods. IMHO
Old February 12, 2012, 05:34 PM   #15
Shoot45's

Hello. I'm new to this forum. Been reading it for a while and finally decided to sign up. Thanks for a great forum.

I always use the slide release.
This is because of the time I save when using it vs. slingshot.

By using the slide release (or slide lock if you will) I can release the slide while I am getting my left hand, fingers, palm etc., in shooting position.

Of course this is just how it works for me personally but it does save me a lot of time vs. slingshot which takes my left hand further out of position and then I have to put the left hand back in position where it easily could have reached the slide release anyway.
Once I'm done inserting the new magazine I just continue with the left hand in a very natural motion - at this point it's almost there anyway - further up and get it in position while releasing the slide.

Thanks
Old February 12, 2012, 05:43 PM   #16
Marquezj16

I was taught to use my slide catch to release the slide when reloading the M9. I guess that carried over to some of my pistols (92 FS Compact, SP2022 and P220). The manuals for those three actually says use the slide catch to release the slide. OTOH, my SA Milspec says to pull the slide back and release smartly, my SR22 says pull back on the slide. I'm pretty sure it says the same thing on my LC9. Lately, I have using the slingshot method just to make them all the same.
Old February 12, 2012, 05:57 PM   #17
L2R

I sm no expert but

how is slingshotting any different than what it does while shooting it?
Old February 12, 2012, 06:01 PM   #18
Triplespeed

I know for my sr40c they say not to use the slide release. Using the slide release causes it to not feed right
Old February 12, 2012, 06:08 PM   #19
3kgt2nv

pulling the slide to feed the first round or slingshotting is better since it allows the mechanics of the gun to load the first round with the same force as the rest. it target shooting it helps to reduce first shot flyers and when using wadcutters or semi wadcutters it helps to prevent feeding issues from insufficient force from using the slide stop release.

in a combat or carry situation it helps to insure the round is fully seated and the slide is in full battery especially when using hollowpoints and some of the flat point bullets that might feed differently on a stock feed ramp.
Old February 12, 2012, 06:24 PM   #20
Marquezj16

Quote:
in a combat or carry situation it helps to insure the round is fully seated and the slide is in full battery especially when using hollowpoints and some of the flat point bullets that might feed differently on a stock feed ramp.
Somebody better notify the US Army and USAF they have it wrong. Oh and don't forget to let Beretta and Sig in on the info.
Old February 12, 2012, 06:30 PM   #21
3kgt2nv

Quote:
Somebody better notify the US Army and USAF they have it wrong. Oh and don't forget to let Beretta and Sig in on the info
what do you think sport's in the army training is. its to clear the chamber after a fail to feed, eject or shoot and no where does it teach you to use the slide lock to drop the slide and or carrier in a m4. even police teach slap,rack,bang

if its so bad for a Beretta and sig to use the slide to chamber a round i feel bad for the gun every time it fires because it dose the same thing as slingshotting the slide but with a lot more energy. I knew there was a reason i dont like Beretta's or sigs.
Old February 12, 2012, 06:32 PM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduckwor
The slide release requires pretty fine motor skills that are likely to be absent during a period of stress (i.e. someone shooting at you). That's why most of us have been taught to releases the slide with either an overhand or slingshot method. It's a pretty gross motor skill.
^^^ This is correct.

Another reason to train using some form of "slingshot" or overhand slide manipulation is that not all semi-autos have the slide stop in the same place, or shaped the same. If there is any possibility you might ever need to use an unfamiliar weapon, you don't want/need to be fumbling for the slide stop lever when you need to be shooting. They ALL have the slide pretty much in the same place.
Old February 12, 2012, 06:33 PM   #23
tahunua001

Quote:
it target shooting it helps to reduce first shot flyers and when using wadcutters or semi wadcutters it helps to prevent feeding issues from insufficient force from using the slide stop release.
how would it stop a first round flyer? the barrel controls stabilization of the bullet, not the chamber. a first round flyer is caused by a cold barrel not an improperly seated bullet. once the metal heats and expands you end up with slightly smaller diameter barrel causing all subsequent rounds to hit a different spot. and a steep feed ramp that cant accommodate wadcutters isn't going to feed regardless of force exerted on them.
Old February 12, 2012, 06:34 PM   #24
PSP

Quote:
do you slingshot your slide?
I do both. To-mah-to/ to-may-to, both accomplish the same thing.
Old February 12, 2012, 06:34 PM   #25
3kgt2nv

what would happen if in a situation where you are shooting from cover and the slide stop because damaged and or unable to function? its a mechanical piece and can fail.