The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1
autotech6

need data for 40 s&w

I am looking for powder charge data using the lee auto disk. Loading 40 S&W 165 grain sierra jhp. What disk should be used? Thanks for the help.
Old March 7, 2009, 11:06 AM   #2
autotech6

I forgot to mention the powder

I am using accurate #7. Thanks
Old March 7, 2009, 11:18 AM   #3
MDB

What does your instruction sheet say? I would not load any load unless I read the data printed by the manufacture. The only other way would be one of my reloading reference books. Thats just me.
Old March 7, 2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Sevens

I don't use the Lee Auto Disk, so I can't tell you which disk or charge hole to use... the instructions that came with the Auto Disk should provide that info for you. As for load data, Accurate Powders has a downloadable Adobe file with all their current load data at their website.
Old March 7, 2009, 12:36 PM   #5
jimkim

This is from Sierra.
firearm used: Para Ordnance P-16; barrel length: 5"; twist: 1x16"; case: Starline; trim-to length: 0.840"; primer: Winchester WSP; bullet: .400"; COAL: 1.125"
Bullet: 165gr Sierra JHP,
Starting load: AAC-7 7.8gr @ 850fps
Maximum load: AAC-7 9.6gr @ 1100fps

Start with .49 and weigh the charge. It should be a little low. You will then need to go to the next larger size until your around 7.8gr. Then you test the ammo and work up to the next size disc until you find your load. You can fine tune your measure two different ways. One is by using this. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=870920 The other is by using this. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=150005

If you don't have the instructions for your Lee Auto Disk powder measure. Here is a link. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/AD2302.pdf
Old March 7, 2009, 08:53 PM   #6
McClintock

+1 JimKim. I've found the Lee Auto Disk specs to be a little off for some powders, like 231, I think Lee's specs were higher than the actual charge dropped, IIRC. Try a particular chamber and weigh the charge, and if you don't have a scale, I'd highly recommend you get one, relying on Lee's data could result in less than optimal loads. I use an MTM Case-Gard digital scale, and it works great, and didn't cost me an arm and a leg.