The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2008, 01:47 PM   #1
JTProuhet

Powder question

I am looking at getting into reloading 9mm loads... I used to reload shotshells until lead shot went through the roof... well i still have like 4lbs left of Alliant Promo powder.... does anyone have any recipes on loading a load for shooting into the ground for Promo.... 115gr nothing special???
Old November 1, 2008, 02:29 PM   #2
irocknrol2

You might try checking alliant's web site to see what they have.
Old November 1, 2008, 02:44 PM   #3
JTProuhet

I emailed alliant, they dont have anything listed on their website, i was hoping that maybe someone else had used the powder before.. I am hoping that i can use my left overs but
Old November 1, 2008, 02:54 PM   #4
dwhite

Promo powder for handgun

I read somewhere that Promo is actually Red-Dot.

If you google promo + "red dot" you will get some hits.

All the Best,
D. White
Old November 1, 2008, 03:21 PM   #5
JTProuhet

Ya... actually they do.. but then you go over to the pistol and revolver data sheet and there are no recipes for red dot either.... so
Old November 1, 2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Loader9

Here's the deal, Promo is the same burn rate as Red Dot but because it is a different density, you cannot run it thru a fixed orifice type powder measure. If you are using a powder measure that uses fixed cylinders to measure the powder- you're in trouble using Red Dot data. If you have an adjustable measure and set it according to the weight- you're fine. So use Red Dot data if you are weighing charges or using an adjustable measure like an RCBS powder measure. Clear as mud?

From the current Lee manual, 9mm with 115 gr bullets:
Min load Red Dot- 4.3 grs...max 4.5 grs- 1150'ps OAL: 1.120
Old November 1, 2008, 03:47 PM   #7
JTProuhet

a fixed orifice typer powder measurer?? With my shotshell reloader, i would put a just say #34 bushing drop a couple shots, and then measure the grains by weight? is that wat you are talking about what i would have to do inorder to use it?
Old November 1, 2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Michaelm45

Some Promo info Here

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...48757&hl=Promo
Old November 3, 2008, 12:19 PM   #9
JTProuhet

just heard back from Alliant... This is what they had to say....

Quote:
You can use Promo in any application in which Red Dot is recommended, grain for grain. In your 9mm with a 115 gr lead bullet try about 4 grs and see if that cycles the action of your pistol okay. Thanks for your interest in contacting us and have a nice day.

Ben Amonette

Consumer Service Manager

Alliant Powder Company
Old November 3, 2008, 05:31 PM   #10
Khaot1c

I think Loader9 is talking about a powder charger like the Lee Auto Disk. I upgraded mine to the single cup with a micrometer on it, and do a few sample shots and weigh each sample until I have the micrometer dialed in to charge the weight I need.
Goes without saying - those type of chargers don't work with every type of powder. In which case a scoop and trickler combo will probably be your best bet.
Old November 3, 2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Gun 4 Fun

If you're switching from one powder measuring/dispensing system to another, make sure you have a good scale, whether it's electronic or a balance beam, and check your loads at regular intervals to make sure nothing has changed. Loader9, I understood you perfectly.
Old November 3, 2008, 06:43 PM   #12
JTProuhet

I understood what he is saying, i just didnt know what the orifice thing was that he was talking about...