The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2006, 09:32 PM   #1
taybri

RCBS Reloader Special progressive upgrade?

I'm new here. An uncle got me started reloading a few months ago when he gave me a lee handloader tool in .45ACP. That's the thing crazy people use to seat primers and bullets with a mallet. I had a couple eye opening experiences when I detonated primers by striking the seating rod too hard.

The other day a friend gave me a bunch of disuded reloading tools including an RCBS press with "RS" stamped on the side. I think that means its a "Reloader Special." He also gave me an RCBS powder measure for which I bought a suitable piggyback stand. Now I crank out .45 rds at the rate of 40 or 50 an hour, and I do it with comparitive safety.

I want to know if this press is compatible with any of RCBS's progressive conversion kits. Does anyone know?

Thanks,
An absolute beginner

P.S. Does a set of lee .45 dies crimp a .45acp? I have a mix of equipment and could use a good printed reference beyond to instruction sheet that came with the dies.
Old July 8, 2006, 12:28 AM   #2
Scorch

The Reloader Special press is an economy press to compete with cheaper presses taking share from RCBS. It's a good press. No, it is not compatible with any progressive press parts or conversions. Good news is that a good progressive press is very afffordable. If you want to kick out 300-400 rounds an hour, get a progressive press and stop spending your weekends loading for a few hours of shooting.

The Lee crimp die works with any cartridge within a given caliber, but a roll crimp is not what you want on a 45 ACP. You should buy a taper crimp die if you need a separate crimp die for the 45 ACP.
Old July 8, 2006, 11:25 AM   #3
BigJakeJ1s

If the Lee .45 crimp die is for 45 colt (or "long colt"), it will most likely roll crimp, which is not correct for 45acp.

Lee factory crimp dies are for specific cartridges, not just the caliber of the bullet. So a FCD for 45 colt is different than a FCD for 45 acp. FCDs for straight wall pistol cartridges have a carbide post-sizing ring that irons out any kinks in the case caused by crimping an overly-long case too much.

If you occasinally trim brass to keep it more or less uniform in length, crimping while seating is not all that hard to set up, and saves a step on a single stage press. On the other hand, if you are picking up range brass from who knows where (not something I particularly recommend), and don't trim them to uniform length, the FCD can save a lot of frustration.

Andy
Old July 22, 2006, 03:39 PM   #4
taybri

Progressive presses?

Scorch mentioned that a progressive press can be affordable. How afforadable can a progressive press be? Where are the deals and which are the best ones? Loading batches of .45acp on this single stage press is time intensive.
Old October 25, 2006, 01:11 PM   #5
Jeanne Riley

RS Press RCBS

I was going through the threads and found this one. I know it's old but perhaps someone might still be interested. The RS press was manufactured from 1979 to 1983. It was formally called the Junior. It is cast iron and has a 3" operating window. The dies are screwed directly into the casting so there isn't an RC bushing to allow for a progressive to mount on top. The RS 2 and 3 came later, 1982 -1990. The RS2 and 3 are cast aluminum. The 2 did not have a bushing but the 3 did. If you have an RS3 you can mount a Piggyback 2 or Piggyback 3 on top. They both used a Ram Priming unit while the RS series used the Universal Priming Arm. Hope this helps.