The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 1, 2001, 11:49 PM   #1
darogue1

Anybody else read this when not here. There is alot of good information in this book. It covers all type of rifles and pistols, C&R guns, women and guns, political stuff and tons more. Some may consider the subversive literature but its good. The book is about 3" thick! It will set you back $28. You can order it through http://www.javelinpress.com or palidin press where I got my copy. I've also seen it at gun shows. Any opinions are welcome.---Darogue1
Old February 4, 2001, 03:43 AM   #2
mib2000

Information-packed & lively read

I heartily second the motion. Am about two-thirds through it.

Got mine from Paladin Press:

http://www.paladin-press.com/

Here are some reviews on Amazon ... one's from "Patriots" author James Wesley, Rawles. That's a pretty good recommendation, in my book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...610347-8010953

One criticism of I'd offer of "Boston's Gun Bible" is that throughout the firearms and related equipment chapters, the author tosses out SOME opinions, especially on SOME gear, without backing them up. In those instances -- usually just quick mentions, such as an unequivocal "you've got to have one of these" -- I get the impression that his knowledge of, say, a piece of gear, is secondhand or third-hand, gleaned from a buddy or from reading about it in a catalog/Web site/magazine article. Rather than from having tested it himself in the field, a process for which there really is no substitute.

But again, overall, a very informative book with an wonderfully entertaining writing style. His comparison of the various carbines and main battle rifles alone is worth buying the book.

On a related note, I'd recommend also "Boston on Surviving..." See the reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...610347-8010953
Old February 4, 2001, 06:20 PM   #3
tsefa

mib2000
i have met the man, i have also read his book.
i may not agree with all his opinions on what is good gear or not, but i can assure you he has researched it in depht.
he probably knows more about guns and rifles and gears then most as he uses them, owns them, have tried them. he also gets a lot of info from top shooters and instructors
Old February 5, 2001, 07:15 PM   #4
mib2000

tsefa,

Very cool. I'd be pleased to meet him, myself.

It's obvious from reading Boston's books that he is a thorough researcher. I've also learned that doing research and seeking opinions is one thing, albeit an important one. But field use and "doing" are quite another. I stand by the one criticism -- and my strong recommendations of his books -- in my previous post.

I agree with many of his opinions, and have learned much from his books. And, like you, I do not agree with everything he says.

Might pick up his "Bulletproof Privacy" next.

Do you know if he has a Web site? I was unable to find one in searching. Thanks & regards.

Old February 8, 2001, 11:56 AM   #5
KODB

TSEFA: Marc, you took the words right outta my keyboard!

I heartily recommend the book. My copy (though only 6 months old) has some splitting at the binding because I'm referrring to it so many times. Packed with useful technical tidbits.

As TSEFA says, even if you don't agree with some points he makes, the research and thought process is great.

Bob