The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 22, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Mike38

Long range school in Illinois?

I did a search, no luck, and hope I’m in the right section of the forum here. Also searched the internet, no luck there.

I’m looking for a civilian long range shooting school in or near Illinois. Something that’s only two days (weekend) long, and doesn’t require a lot of rounds shot (100 or so) at 600 to 1000 yards. I realize that is only enough to get the fundamentals down, but that’s all I’m looking for right now. Does such a school exist, or am I dreaming? I found schools for Law Enforcement, but no civilians.

Also, I will be using a Remington 700 chambered in 7mmSTW. It will shoot 0.5 MOA with my 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip reloads. Would that work out to 1000 yards, or should I be using something with a bit more weight?

Thanks.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Jimro

Use something with a bit more weight. 120gr 7mm bullets leave the muzzle lightning fast, but they slow down very quickly too. I like the 175 gr SMK in 7mm, with a BC over 0.600 it is a very good long range option, but if you have a slow twist rate you can use the 150 gr SMK.

Head over to snipersparadisoe.com and ask around for guys to shoot with.

Jimro