The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 28, 2015, 01:00 PM   #1
zachattack2

Remington 700 ADL .308 ammo

I was thinking of getting a Remington 700 ADL in the .308 caliber from cabelas and I have some .308 TuloAmmo at my house that is cheap surplus steel casing ammo and I was wondering if that would hurt the gun or if it is fine to use in the Remington 700 ADL?
Old January 28, 2015, 01:13 PM   #2
precision_shooter

While it won't hurt the gun, it will not be that accurate and will cause issues if you shoot brass cased ammo without cleaning the chamber first.

The steel case doesn't expand well like brass does. This means it doesn't seal the chamber and allows for carbon build-up in the chamber, thus making the chamber very slightly smaller/tighter. This is not a big issue if continuing to shoot steel cased ammo. If you shoot brass cased ammo without cleaning the chamber, there is a good chance brass ammo will get stuck in the chamber and require you to punch it out via a rod down the barrel.

My friend made this mistake, ONCE. Hasn't shot steel cased ammo since.

Also, you want to be sure to verify if the steel cased ammo has corrosive primers. If so, it will require a different cleaning method using soap and water and not powder/copper solvents.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 28, 2015, 01:46 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Hi. The steel in cheap, surplus, steel casing, ammo is mild steel. Won't bother the much harder steel of an M700. Neither will steel jacketed bullets. Like precision_shooter, it's not exactly high end stuff.
You don't need soap to flush the primer salts. Plain hot tap water is enough. Followed by regular cleaning.
No ADL's made since 2004. Replaced with the SPS. Same thing though. Just a lower end finish and stock.
Old January 28, 2015, 02:29 PM   #4
zachattack2

Ok so sounds like I'll be good if I clean it after and everything thanks.

Zach