The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2007, 06:01 PM   #1
rickh

1000's of brass to prep NEW TOOL!

Well after going through about the first 1000, I figured there had to be a better way, I was pretty fast but had to take too many breaks to relive muscle fatigue in my hands, sooo, went today and picked up an RCBS Trim mate case prep center. I added the military crimp remover cause I do .223 and many of the brass I have are crimped.
Well just ran the first 100 through it. Actual process is no faster than by hand EXCEPT, I can keep going start to finish and not have to stop cause my hands hurt.

A few observations....
Wish motor would turn about 50 rpm faster.

Debur tool not all that good, did last 20 or so by hand, well check and see if there is some type of adjustment.

Needs one more spinning station for flash hole debur, but then once I get through all the mil crimps, I can take that tool off.

Motor is noisy but you get used to it.

Crimp cutter does a cleaner job than the Dillon swag tool, which is 95%, the cost of the RCBS prep center! Sometimes the swag tool leaves a little bit of the crimp sticking up, the RCBS tool cuts it away, much cleaner.

I caught a few of the necks on the chamfer tool and bent them, got to watch when you place them on the turning tool. A quick run through the resizer die fixed em right up.

All in all, if you got 1000's of cases to prep it’s a good investment and Cabelas has them on sale right now for 93 bucks.

Here is the unit on the RCBS web site.
http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=4&s3=39

Rick H...

Last edited by rickh; February 3, 2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old February 2, 2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Crosshair

I just use a countersink bit in a drill for the primer crimp. Don't remove too much brass though.
Old February 2, 2007, 07:18 PM   #3
swmike

The Lyman Primer Pocket Reamer in my Cordless Drill works too. The tool is about $5. I just finished 900 pieces of crimped .223 brass.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old February 2, 2007, 08:45 PM   #4
rem33

When I got my first mini 14 I bought a 1000 military cases at a gun show and then used the RCBS primer pocket swagger. I've done those and lots of 30-06 and 308's. Lot of work but it works great. Now the ones I pick up I usually just use my pocket knife to remove the crimp. I ruin a primer every once in a while but so what. I get a 99%+ success rate and the brass was free and the primer was under 2 cents, I just toss those.
I like that cordless drill idea.
Old February 3, 2007, 12:12 AM   #5
Jason280

Dillon makes a swaging tool, but it is pretty expensive (around $85). The RCBS version, which uses your press, is considerably cheaper but a lot slower and relatively fragile.

The best product I have found is the Hornady primer pocket reamer. Chuck it up in a drill, and its probably the fastest method of removing the primer crimp. The reamer is designed to only take out so much brass before it bottoms out, and it is very easy to use.