The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2006, 08:04 PM   #1
RERICK

Lee .223 seating die problem

I just started loading for .223 and I bought a Deluxe set of Lee dies,I have used them in alot of pistol calibers but this the first rifle set.Though I love the factory crimp dies and the pistol sets I own have worked well I can't say the same about thier rifle set.The sizer works fine but the seating die is a horror show.I get it adjusted to the correct seating depth and the next bullet seats about 15 or 20 thousanths deaper.I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem and if they found a cure.It's frustrating as all you know what to say the least and I'm just about to just give up and go ahead and buy a Redding comp seating die.I know I just should have done it in the first place.
Stupid,Stupid,Stupid LOL
Old March 5, 2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Bob - S.C.

Isn't reloading fun!
Before you go our and buy another set of dies, I would suggest that you look at the RCBS competition die set. Yes, it is pricy, but I have been using that set for some time and my seating depth is never off more than .003 on any given day. Plus, you do not need to crimp your round with a .223. I have loaded thousands for several AR-15's as well as my Weatherby bolt action and I am a believer in that RCBS die set. The side window makes it easy to insert the bullet into the die, the centering block insures the bullet is dead center to the case mouth and the micrometer setting on the top makes it easy to change seating depth and then re-set to your previous setting with absolutely no error. Just a suggestion, but I think you would love that die set.
Old March 5, 2006, 09:17 PM   #3
RERICK

Yeah Bob Its a ball lol ! Thanks for the suggestion.Trust me I'll take a good look before I buy a new die set.And you say you don't crimp for the AR's.I would think at least a light crimp just to keep the bullet in place for the ride from the mag to the chamber during firing?I would think that there would be a good chance of maybe the bullet getting pushed back into the case.I was told early on when I started to load for my 40 and 45 to make sure to put a fairly firm crimp to insure the bullet would stay put for the ride.But then what do I know.
Old March 5, 2006, 10:50 PM   #4
HSMITH

RERICK, you are measuring OAL when you should be measuring ogive to case head. Pick up the Stoney Point measuring kit before you do anything. Odds are worst case you are actually loading a .005" max deviation using the equipment listed.

If you buy a set of Redding Competition dies without buying the tools to measure what is ACTUALLY happening odds are you will see the same if not worse consistency using current measuring methods.
Old March 5, 2006, 11:11 PM   #5
gschwertley

I hate to point out the obvious, but since you are just starting reloading rifle cartridges, did you make sure your cases were trimmed before you started seating bullets? If your case lengths are not uniform, it will have the effect of seating bullets to different depths. .223's are known for case length "growth." Rifle brass tends to stretch more than pistol brass. If you are used to loading pistol ammo, perhaps you never encountered a need to trim these, but not so with rifle brass. Now I can crack wise a little and say that if this is the situation, no matter how expensive of a set of dies you buy, you will have the same problem.
Old March 6, 2006, 10:52 AM   #6
Rivers

Make sure that you have the seating die set up correctly. I use the seating die that comes with the Lee Collet die set. That seating die won't crimp, but seats very well. You don't need to crimp for your AR.
Old March 6, 2006, 02:14 PM   #7
RERICK

yes to if I trimmed them.Every one.I always do even my pistol stuff.And yes to if they are set up correctly.Frankly I am stumped.I'll have to give Lee a call and see what they say.
Old March 6, 2006, 03:54 PM   #8
RERICK

Well I called Lee and I was told to remove the seating screw and see if it was smooth at the inside end.Well it wasn't,and the guy on the phone told me that they would send me a new one in the mail.He said that one from my 40 cal die would work and it did so I guess I'm good for now.who would have thought a little burr would cause so much trouble.
Old March 6, 2006, 06:59 PM   #9
Toney

My new 243 die had the same problem
Old March 6, 2006, 10:33 PM   #10
Rivers

Toney: I'm befuddled. Why does what you own have any bearing on this forum?