The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 15, 2002, 11:01 PM   #1
[email protected]
Wise Guy

IDPA Car scenarios? Who has some?

I just started in IDPA and figure, since we spend so much time in our cars these days, why not a few car scenarios?

I quickly came up with these pretty simple ones...

and

Naturally, #2 is a bit harder... what do you guys think of them?

I'm thinking of a McDeath drive in scenario as well, since typically they wind up being a trap when you are in your car - car in front of you, car behind, no way to turn left (duh) and usually a high curb & divider on the right... Do you guys have anything like this you've used?

All the ones at the last shoot (my first) started with the shooter standing... which though easier, doesn't really emphasize the "tricky" situations in life. I like challenging "problems" - this looks more interesting, since life doesn't always present standing still targets neatly lined up and easy to hit.

Kevin
Old August 15, 2002, 11:12 PM   #2
Jeeper

I have done quite a few that started in the car. I think those are the most practicle. That or while trying to get into your car and you get approached. The ones in the car usually required shooting from in the car and then exiting the car.
Old August 16, 2002, 10:44 AM   #3
9x45

Your threat targets to the far left cause an unsafe muzzle direction. They need to be further downrange. Both scenarios would have the shooter move to cover behind the car with only the threat locations changing slightly. #2 would force the 1st shot on the far right threat. Looks like the driver is in trouble either way...
Old August 16, 2002, 11:16 AM   #4
No4Mk1

Check out the scenarios at Tactical Shooters. They have over 1000 scenarios, many including vehicles (although you have to dig....).

http://www.tacticalshooters.com/COF/Scenario.htm

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old August 17, 2002, 09:48 PM   #5
Alex Szabo

Hi Kevin,

Great scenarios! A third one might be in which the driver has to [for whatever reason] egress the vehicle, take cover and sequentially take out each objective.

Why not post this onto your local hometown gun club's site too?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin 1759
Old August 18, 2002, 12:33 PM   #6
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Alex - I posted them there first! Maybe you should read that one sometime... Heck, I think I have more posts on there than anyone else. New forum blues and all that.

Kevin
Old August 18, 2002, 01:02 PM   #7
Alex Szabo

Hi Kevin,

I missed this post completely until you have pointed it out me. Each scenario presents relatively identical objectives. IMHO each are uniquely challenging with the driver rearward being the most challenging.

In a vickers count permitting the participant to determine which target to take out first (precedence order) without displaying the scenario(s) [prior to] would be the most challenging aspect.

Perhaps you could also invent a scenario in which the driver must egress the vehicle (for whatever reason) in order to add further degree of challenge!?

Good job!!!!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin 1759
Old August 18, 2002, 07:06 PM   #8
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Here's another one I was thinking of - I call it "Not without my Whopper"

I tried to take into consideration the problem mentioned above with the safety zone / arc of fire.

Setup is as follows... For whatever reason you've pulled into McDeath or Burger Thing drive through for a meal. It's the RO's choice whether you have a simulated child with you or not. Anyhow, you've paid your money, and are waiting in line to reach the delivery window when, straight from the newspapers, the car in front of you has decided that they are not happy with their meal. Apparently, they were given a small fry, and want their vengance - all the Shoot targets have drawn weaponry. Being the fine upstanding citizens they are, Baby Bubba Jr is in the car with them, marked as a No shoot target.

For the purposes of this scenario, the bad guy car is a convertable, which is why you have clean shots at each passenger.

To more accurately simulate the confines of a typical drive through, I've placed the notional cars next to the safety wall on the left side. Excuse my poor art skills, but the box at the top is supposed to simulate the drive through window. As you can see, the driver of the bag guy's vehicle has leaned out of the car, and is trying to get in through the window itself. It's your choice whether or not he's actually a threat - in the scenario I'm basing this on, the bad guy got stuck in the window and had to be pulled out by EMS IIRC. One of the passengers has left the vehicle and is coming at your car, placing you in danger.

Because of the nature of this drive through, driving your vehicle to safety is not possible. You can either engage from the vehicle, or move to cover behind it, then engage... Your choice.

What do you guys think?

Kevin
Old August 19, 2002, 03:08 PM   #9
Bob Locke

Shot several car scenarios at an IDPA match at Blackwater a few years ago. The one I liked the best had the shooter starting with one foot on the ground and the other in the floorboard of the driver's side, with right arm in contact with the door (simulating stepping from vehicle). Three targets at rear of car (all SHOOT targets), two partially blocked by the trunk and the other fully clear of the vehicle. Targets 4-6 yards away. On the buzzer, engage in tactical sequence (1 to each target, then repeat) until two hits scored on each.

The other one I really liked I'd have to draw up for you because it included 7 SHOOT's, three NO-SHOOT's, three cars, and quite a bit of movement (we started in the driver's seat of one of the cars, and four of the SHOOT's were in the others). That one took close to 20 seconds for the best shooters.
Old August 21, 2002, 10:26 PM   #10
mcrog

I shot this at a ipsc match not too long ago. Simple but realistic.
Here is the sereneo: Seated in drivers seat with keys in ignition, igniton in "on" position,engine off. seat belt fastened, both hands on steering wheel. Hand gun is locked in trunk laying on blanket with all needed mags. Gun is unloaded but all mags/ speed loaders are full. (3) ipsc targets are aranged 10 feet to the left front of front of car and same to right front of car.Total 6 targets.
Upon audable start signal: Shut off car,remove keys from ignition,remove seatbelt,open door,move to rear of car and open trunk.retreve gun and load.Engage eather target array with (2) rounds per target."6 rounds total" Make a manadtory reload and engage remaining target array with (2) rounds each."6rounds total" Total round count 12. This is revolver frendily. I saw some people use the trunk lid as cover and some guys closed the lid and layed there mags/ ammo on the closed trunk. Any way it is a good time!!! DVC