The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 26, 2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Justified

Revolver Values

Just started black powder shooting with a rifle and love it! Now want to start in with revolvers too. Going to an estate auction in a couple weeks. Can anyone put a value on any of these guns? Any help would be appreciated.

Richland Black Powder 44 cal. 6 shooter* revolver w/ holster
Fllipietta Black Powder 44 cal. Nickel and gold* 6 shooter* revolver w/ holster
ASM Black powder 6 shooter, 38cal w/ holster
ASM Black Powder 36 cal. Nickel 6 shooter* revolver w/ holster
Fllipietta* black powder, 6 shooter, 44 cal w/ holster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (134.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 22.JPG (135.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 222.JPG (136.5 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Justified; June 26, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Justified

More Images

More Images
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2222.JPG (135.5 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 22222.JPG (134.8 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Justified; June 26, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old June 26, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Hawg

I wouldn't fool with the brass frames unless you can get them for around 100.00. The nickel and gold sells new from Cabela's for 370.00 but if you shoot it the gold wash won't last long at all and IIRC the frame under the nickel is brass.
Old June 26, 2013, 02:44 PM   #4
spitpatch

I agree Hawg. That nickel & gold is a mess if handled at all.
Old June 26, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Gaucho Gringo

I will have to agree too. Look at classifieds in the various black powder forums. I have bought all of my BP guns that way except my first one. They are all steel framed.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old June 26, 2013, 05:54 PM   #6
mulefour

you would be better off passing on them and getting one good steel frame.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Justified

Thank you!

Thank you for the insight and the advise.
This is how we lean such things.
I will pass on the auction and buy a steel frame.

Thanks again.
Justified
Old June 27, 2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Fingers McGee

You've made a wise decision Justified. Not only is Hawg's opinion right on the money; but, since Armi San Marco is no longer in business, getting spare parts if you managed to break one would be next to impossible.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 27, 2013, 12:38 PM   #9
vba

I would say Cabella's. They have many nice BP revolvers and their sales are nice. Get yourself a nice Pietta 1851, 1858 or 1860 instead of those guns pictured. Stay with steel frames as Hawg said.

I bought both the 1858 and 1860 and have absolutely no regrets. Before I did so I studied this forum to determine everything I needed to go with it. The fellas here put me on the right path. I've shot my 1858 several times now and love it. Will shoot the 1860 soon as well. Just wanted to get used to one gun at a time.
Old June 28, 2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Bill Akins

Hi Justified. Saw your post about the BP revolvers that are going to be at an estate auction you mentioned. Since you aren't going to go to it, could you tell me what auction it is, where I can contact the auction company/phone number, and when it is? I'd sure appreciate it.

I have two nickel and gold plated Traditions (Pietta) .44 caliber 1860's and I've always wanted the nickel and gold plated 1851 to go with them. You posted a pic of the nickel and gold plated (and engraved) Traditions (Pietta) 1851 .44 caliber that I've been looking for in this picture of yours.....

Yes the steel frames are more preferable and much stronger and allow for heavier loads as you've been told by the fellas here. But I took off my gold cylinders and gold hammers on my nickel and gold 1860's, and replaced the gold cylinders with stainless like, fluted cylinders for shooting so I can save my gold ones for display, and replaced the gold hammers with case hardened ones. Because as you've been told, the thin gold wash plating will blow off the cylinders if you fire them. It happened to one of mine, hence the reason I switched out cylinders. Like that nickel plated brass frame 1851 in your pic, my 1860's are nickel plated brass frames. But I never load my 1860's any heavier than 22 grains max. So no worries about stretching the brass frame as long as I stick to that load. I'd do the same hammer and cylinder swap with that nickel plated brass frame 1851 and load it the same way too.

Sure would appreciate it if you'd steer me to where that 1851 is and what lot number it is so I can bid on it. Do you know if the auction will also be held online as well as on site?

Sent you a P.M. on this too. If you could, please shoot me a P.M. with the estate auction info.

Thanks, Bill.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 28, 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old July 1, 2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Justified

Auction

http://www.furloauction.com/

Saturday, July 6th
10:00 A.M.
Albert Thomas Estate Auction
501 Brownlee
Sanford, MI 48657
Old July 1, 2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Bill Akins

Thanks for that info on the auction Justified. Appreciate it.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 8, 2013, 02:58 AM   #13
Bill Akins

Thanks again for that info Justified.

I contacted the auction company and placed an absentee bid on it. The auction was July 6th, and since this is the weekend, if I did win it they probably haven't been back to the office to notify winners via e mail. If I don't hear something from them in the next several days, then I probably didn't win it.

Old July 8, 2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Rifleman1776

Wise to pass on the auction. Folks go nuts over guns at auctions. At one time, many years ago, I was able to buy old, junker, guns for almost nothing at auctions. I used them for parts and restoration in my shop. Then the disease hit and folks started grossly overypaying for guns at auctions. Junkers started selling for more than the same gun new. Go figger.