The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 8, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1
PanBaccha

Mossberg 590 vs. Remington 870

I am vacillating in thought on which to get. A Mossberg 590A or a Remington 870, as both are reasonably priced. Any thoughts, pros or cons, regarding both shotguns?
Old May 8, 2011, 01:18 PM   #2
jmortimer

Ford - Chevy Anyone who tells you one is superior to the other is blowing smoke. I would pick the one that "feels" best to you. Remmington has nothing to brag about when it comes to the fit and finish of the current production Express grade 870's. I would consider a higher grade 870.
Old May 8, 2011, 01:46 PM   #3
redstategunnut

I have both. I prefer the safety and slide release locations on the 870. Otherwise, they are comparable.
Old May 8, 2011, 01:47 PM   #4
colostomyclown

do a search
Old May 8, 2011, 02:05 PM   #5
USMCGrunt

And you wouldn't consider getting both because......

Really, it's 6 in one hand and half dozen in the other. The Remington is a little heavier unloaded due to the steel receiver but they are both about the same weight loaded because the Mossberg will hold an extra round.
The Remington tends to have a smoother action due in part to the mechanical levering down of the lifter when running the pump back where as the Remington has a lifter that stays in the down position and is a little smoother. However, the solid lifter on earlier models can lead to a nasty malfunction if a shell slips past the shell latches where the shell is on top of the lifter with the bolt forward. Newer 870s have a flex-tab lifter that negates this problem. The Mossberg never had this problem as the lifter rides against the bolt so if a shell does slip past the shell stop, it just falls out.
Remington shooters cite the steel receiver in theory is stronger than the aluminum receiver of the Mossberg but the Mossberg shooter will counter that the Mossberg receiver isn't as prone to rusting as the steel receiver of the Remington. They also cite that the bolt on the Mossberg locks into the barrel (think M-16 here) so the stress on the aluminum receiver isn't a problem.
Remington shooters complain about the breakage prone plastic safety on the Mossberg. Mossberg shooters counter that it's a $15 or so fix with a metal version and then counter with the J-lock safety that in some cases are still floating around on some older 870s.
Remington shooters cite that the Remington doesn't have pieces that can come out during disassembly that can be lost and increase the parts count. Mossberg shooters will counter that the shell catches and ejector are easily replaceable where the staked in catches and ejector of the Remington have a limited number of times these parts can be restaked before there is not enough metal left on the receiver to replace these parts again.
Remington shooters cite the safety location works without breaking your grip if you use a pistol grip stock. Mossberg shooters counter that the safety on the Mossberg is ambidextrous.
Mossberg shooters will cite that the slide release is easier to manipulate. Remington shooters will counter that if kept in cruiser ready condition, it's a moot point especially if you don't have a need to perform select slug drills on a routine basis.
As you can see, both sides have their merits and complaints about the other design and in many cases, both with and without merit. Really it's a matter of personal preference and as you can see, I couldn't really come up with a clear cut winner here so both is truly the better option!
Old May 8, 2011, 03:10 PM   #6
PanBaccha

Thanks USMCGRUNT! Quite a photo shot, and quite informative too.
Old May 8, 2011, 03:56 PM   #7
kozak6

Quote:
Ford - Chevy Anyone who tells you one is superior to the other is blowing smoke. I would pick the one that "feels" best to you.
You, sir, are entirely too reasonable to have a proper debate with .

Seriously, though, that sounds about right.
Old May 8, 2011, 05:34 PM   #8
lmccrock

Quote:
I prefer the safety and slide release locations on the 870.
And I prefer the safety on the back of the receiver like the 590. So that is the big difference. And, there are more accessories for the 870, but if it comes the way you want it, doesn't matter.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:04 PM   #9
.300 Weatherby Mag

Both will work.. It's about personal preference... I like 870s better but hold no ill will toward a 500 Mossberg..
Old May 9, 2011, 08:27 AM   #10
Lee Lapin

Not really much room for "versus" there. Both are good solid shoguns, the only differences are relatively minor details. I like 870s mainly because I've been shooting them for about 40 years now, but there's no flies on the 590 at all.

fwiw,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old May 9, 2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Technosavant

Add me to the chorus of "it's hard to go wrong with either." Each gun will serve the owner well. I tend to be more of a Remington guy, but I won't detract one little bit from the Mossberg guns- they are good guns as well.
Old May 9, 2011, 02:48 PM   #12
SauerJackson

Just hold em both for a few minutes and you will know which is better for you. I dislike the "stiff" action of the mossberg and I hate that safety! Even though I rarely use any safety, when I do my overly abused monkey hands usually flip that by accident. It's all about what will fit you and the way you handle it.....
Old May 9, 2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I really loathe "vs" threads.....

Shoot both. Note how each feels, loads,fires. Get the one that feels best....
Old May 9, 2011, 03:59 PM   #14
TheKlawMan

Me got an 870 and it is plenty for me. If i get another gun it will probably be an entirely different one; possibly an auto or even an 0/U.

Meanwhile, it might be a pile of dung, but the Turkinsh made Winchester SXP Defender may be worth considering. I blieve, but am not sure as I can't locate the manual online, that cast and drop are adjustable with shims and the LOP can be lenghtened with spacers. It is also made to be shortened, this requries a smith to cut it, up to 1/2". Some also like the speed and the rotary bolt. I believe it was recently on sale for about $300 at Big 5. Reviews look nice, but I have yet to see how it fares after a few thousnd rounds.

The importer is Browning but it remains to be seen if it is a Winchester.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:33 AM   #15
PanBaccha

Dave McC
Quote:
I really loathe "vs" threads.....
Maybe I should have substituted the "vs" with an "or."
Old May 10, 2011, 09:39 AM   #16
chadstrickland

Lol Search dude search....I think this has been on here plenty of times..just google it and the firing line will probably pop up...
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old May 12, 2011, 02:29 PM   #17
kaylorinhi

590A1 not a SP

If you get a HD/Tactical Scatter gun, I recommend the 590A1 due to the tougher, thicker barrel and the all metal construction. The 870 is not bad but it is not as "tough" as the real mil-spec 590A1's. Would buy an 870/500/1300 if no 590A1s were available, yes in a heart beat.

I choose the sturdiest pump-gun around.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:12 PM   #18
k511

having both, I've never had a problem with either. My model 870 is a wingmaster, and i personally prefer it over the 590. I also find the remingtons easier to break down. BUT if your looking at the 870 express model, I would say go with a 590... the fit and finish of the new express's are not that great IMO.... both are tried and true shotguns and both will out preform the shooter in most cases. If you can try them both
Old May 13, 2011, 08:54 AM   #19
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

If you truly mean the Mossberg model 590 and not the 500 - the 590 has a steel receiver, heavier barrel walls and is MilSpec.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:58 PM   #20
jackblack73

Quote:
If you truly mean the Mossberg model 590 and not the 500 - the 590 has a steel receiver, heavier barrel walls and is MilSpec.
The 590 does not have a steel receiver. It's aluminum. That said, I've never heard of one breaking.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:14 PM   #21
dsa1115

Your splitting hairs IMO. Either of these pump guns will serve you equally well.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:41 PM   #22
TheKlawMan

Come clean. Everyone knows the reason they wan't the 590A1 is the bayonette lug. Unless you plan beating anyone or antyhing to death with the thicker barrel walls, who needs them?
Old May 14, 2011, 08:41 AM   #23
chadstrickland

Bayonet lug is pretty awesome...awesome = tacticool
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old May 14, 2011, 07:01 PM   #24
USMCGrunt

Actually, the reason I wanted an M590 is because that is what I carried in the Corps back in the day. They had a bayonet lug on them then too so mine has one on them today. Same goes for my M870. Just as the 870's I carried when I first came into the USAF in 04 had the extended magazines with the bayonet lug magazine clamp, mine has one on too. Not planning to do a drive-by bayoneting but for historical correctness...and ******* off the libs.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:39 PM   #25
chasep255

Quote:
Everyone knows the reason they wan't the 590A1 is the bayonet lug.
YES!!!

I am trying to decide as well on this question. I just finished watching the Magpul video on tactical shotguns so I think the remington platform excels in slug changeovers. But the mossberg can hold 3 extra rounds and has a bayonet.