The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 4, 2005, 05:48 AM   #1
Harley2k

Collin County Gun Range

Has anyone in the N. Texas area ever taken any shooting courses at the Collin County Gun Range in McKinney Texas. Most of there classes are on saturday but I work a weekend shift, I e-mailed and they said they could do a one on one class for $40.00 a hour or if a member $35.00. Is this resonable? Seems to be resonable from what I see on the internet. If they are good then the price is well worth it. Thanks for any info.
Old April 8, 2005, 11:54 PM   #2
RCPractitioner

what kind of courses are they? I have been interested in getting involved with tactical courses and maybe some sort of competition.
Old April 11, 2005, 08:18 AM   #3
Harley2k

check out www.ccgunrange.com
Old April 11, 2005, 06:43 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Being as classes run $100-$150 a day depending on the range, instructor, etc., $35-40 an hour is HUGELY expensive. It may be a going rate, but not very cost effective compared to taking a class with other students.

I have had 3 classes through CCGR. It was the first place I took classes as I was a member there. After having had classes elsewhere, I am not terribly impressed with Phil Ryan or his operation. Looking back, I discovered that some of the information conveyed was less than accurate. For example, Ryan taught that there was less legal liability if you carried the same gun or ammo the local cops carry and that if you shoot somebody in the pelvis, it will break or shatter and the person will collapse to the ground. In the first example, there isn't any legal precedent and in the second, no medical data to back up that pelves are that terribly fragile unless you are dealing with a osteoporotic geriatric.

While Phil did have some good folks that worked for him, he believed in teaching with the drill instructor mentality, using a blowhorn to give direction to students and pointing out loudly those targets of students where the students were having trouble. Embarrassment is not the type of training instruction that is prudent to rapid skills development. There are other instructors who can provide you with better instruction without making participants look bad in front of other students.