The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2002, 10:29 PM   #1
strange246

Did I screw up?

I just picked up a 1300 defender, I was trying to decide between an 870 or the defender for home defense use/blasting milk jugs, the guy at the shop said to go with the defender just because of the mag capacity, that for my use either would be ok....did i choose right?

https://home.comcast.net/~72demon/
Old October 12, 2002, 10:57 PM   #2
Kevan

Yes, you chose right and no, you didn't screw up. I own 2 Winchester Defenders. I love them both. They are FAST!!! The action is the fastest there is because the bolt opens a split second after a shot is fired. That leads to a faster cycling action for the second shot. It practiclly pumps its own self! And the action is smooth!!! You know, FN is now selling the Defender as the FN Police & Military Shotgun. FN is not noted for supporting junk, as witnessed by FN Browning Hi-Powers, FALs, the M-249 SAW, and other quality firearms. Like the man said, you already have the max mag capacity for an 18 inch barrel. You don't have to dicker around with the gun. If yours doesn't have the Tru-Glo sight, you can order it from Winchester. It snaps right on over the brass bead.

When I bought my first Defender, I was surprised at what a great shotgun it was. That's why I got me a second one. I have a wood stocked Defender and the synthetic stocked one. Kind of like having two decks of cards, you know? I enjoy my Defenders tremendously and they are a screaming deal for the price. They're easy to disassemble and clean. And they will last for you.

Enjoy that shotgun. Get you plenty of shells and practice with it and you'll see that you made the right choice.
Old October 12, 2002, 11:02 PM   #3
strange246

cool thanks

Any place online i can get instructions to break it down for cleaning?, the shop i bought it from says it is used but unfired, hence no box or manual....where can i order that sight? right off winchester's website?

https://home.comcast.net/~72demon/
Old October 13, 2002, 06:07 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

http://www.winchester-guns.com/homepage/index.asp

About halfway down, you'll see the link for the manuals.

I have a 1300 and like it.
Old October 13, 2002, 09:15 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I prefer the 870, 40 years of faithful service will bias the heck out of anyone.

Having said that,the 1300's a very nice shotgun.

HTH...
Old October 14, 2002, 05:29 PM   #6
eap

another 870 fan. i'm looking into a super x2 though.