The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 3, 2015, 03:15 PM   #26
BWM

They are legal to use in IN to deer hunt. I have 2 Rem 700 ML 2 Thompson one is a carbine 1 Rugger carbine 1 Savage that uses regular powder 1 IN hunter 50 cal pistol 10 in barrel 1 Thompson hawkens Al my guns are 50 Cabers
Old January 3, 2015, 04:41 PM   #27
AKexpat

CVA .50

I had (still have!) a friend that had many guns that I still envy (especially his Win 94 in .38-55). He had a beautiful percussion .54 cal rifle, Hawken type (don't know the manufacturer), which he downed many a moose in Alaska way back when. I caught the BP bug from that and bought a CVA .50 kit, assembled it, and was disappointed with it.

About 30 years ago I bought a Dixie Arms 1862 Police kit for my dad as a Christmas present. He had a ball with assembling it and was very proud of it. Before he died 4 years ago, he wanted to give it to me but, like so many gun nuts in the 60's/70's he over-polished everything on the buffing wheel. It happened on a 39 Marlin (1928 date) (such a shame!), a 1930's Mod 12 Winchester 16 gauge full choke, and a 1930's Winchester Mod 94 25-35 (which I sold to an eager buyer just for the caliber).

I now have a new Pietta 1851 Navy .36 and am very pleased with it. The wedge has some problems that I am working out. I don't plan on shooting it much but love handling it and admiring it.

Gun nut extraordinaire.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon