The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 22, 2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Amsdorf

VIDEO: WWII Garand

Nothing but pictures....close ups...slow panning shots....of a WWII era M1 Garand.

This particular Garand was made at Springfield, MA in September 1944, has correct receiver and barrel, was at some point sent to the armory where it received a truly butt ugly stock and mismatched upper forend, in a nice orangy color with a red number painted on the stock.

I know, I know. Garand collector purists will recoil in horror at this, but....

I had it restored/reconditioned by Dean's Gun Restorations, all new parkerized and wood.

She's a beauty, take a look. Have any pics or videos of your Garand(s)?

LINK TO VIDEO.

When it comes to military surplus rifles from WWII, in my humble opinion, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that "ping."
Old September 22, 2012, 11:43 AM   #2
TX Hunter

Beautifull Rifle Man, I love the Garand.
I have in my Collection a very nice Remington 1903 A3 that was made during World War Two.
I have no Idea where my Rifle went, or who carried it, or even if it was carried at all.
But I do treat this Rifle with Respect for our American Servicemen that it was built for. I can tell you feel the same way about your Rifle, and I respect that as well. Im glad the Beautifull M1 in the Video ended up in your hands.
Old September 29, 2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Ignition Override

Amsdorf/McCain:
That is a very attractive M-1 and must be one of the best around. I have no idea how to connect cameras/computers.

My Service Grade Garand has fairly dark, dinged wood, but the bore's condition makes it appear to be chrome-lined. My gun guru
(retired from the Navy Rifle Team) moved away, but when he sold me the rifle which he bought at Camp Perry in late July '10, he checked all of the serial numbers in his large, thick Garand book. The action was built in the very last SA production in '55.

Some guys at Camp Perry in 2010 had access to the parts truck, and could have found a full set of components from any of the manufacturers
(all SA, all Winchester etc). Would that have been nice?

Are many people aware of the warehouses full of surplus WW1-WW2 US military rifles at the Naval facility in Crane, IN? The commander delayed retirement a while ago, because he was concerned about possible future disposal of this vast supply, to which the civilian markets have had no access.

Last edited by Ignition Override; September 29, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Amsdorf

That is interesting, have not heard this before.

But if in fact what you say is true, the US Government already has a way to dispose of WW1 and WW2 surplus rifles:

The Civilian Marksmanship Program.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Chris_B

Quote:
Are many people aware of the warehouses full of surplus WW1-WW2 US military rifles at the Naval facility in Crane, IN? The commander delayed retirement a while ago, because he was concerned about possible future disposal of this vast supply, to which the civilian markets have had no access.
Funny, I have POCs at DET Crane...